“They do ok with what they have but . . .”

Arizona Charlie's Decatur
Ranked #181 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Central Coast California
“They do ok with what they have but . . .”
Reviewed 1 January 2011

This is a smaller hotel. All of the hotel staff was wonderful. When I arrived I was confused about the parking as one lot is shared with a shopping center. I asked the security guard on a bike and he said it depends which building your room is in. I explained that I was alone with my kids and did not want to be parking and walking all over so he said "follow me" and directed me to a coned spot that said "hotel registration parking." Check in was quick and friendly. Parked in their much bigger, nicer and better lit parking lot closest to our room. The room was very large as they are in older hotels. There was a sticky ring on something on the desk with a hair stuck to it. The bathroom floor lineoleum was full of years worth of stains and blemishes. Other than that, the room wasjust ok and the beds were a bit hard. The heater worked great which was good because of the cold spell.
Right down the elevator is a Subway and a Noble Roman's pizza which was great for the kids and I to get fed quickly. Later in the evening, my sister came and we went to the cafe which had great FOOD prices, including $3.99 steak and eggs. However I had no clue that our non-alcoholic drinks(coffee and soda) would be $2.50 each! But the food and service was good.
The casino is probably one of the smokiest I have ever been in as it is small and they must not have a ventilation system. Yes, other casinos are smokey too but they have some sort of ventilation to keep it somewhat cleared out. The poker room was disapppointing as they stopped waiting for players by 8:00 pm on a Thursday night! I could not play poker so I tried Bingo. The Bingo was nice and the staff and players were friendly. But people smoke like chimneys in there. The lady sitting near me won $1, 000!
The slots were very tight. Upstairs is a "non-smoking" slot area which is a joke because there are maybe a dozen machines plus about 3 dozen tournament only machines that you cannot use. Plus it is not enclosed so people smoke just outside the imaginary dividing line between smoking and non-smoking.
In the middle of the night, someone was in the hall sounding like he was trying to get someone to open the door of another room, like a jilted boyfriend. I called security and they said "oh, I see him. Will be right there." They must have cameras.Iit was quiet in no time. In the morning, people were driving their noisy cars in the street next to the side of the building next to our room, which woke me up. Check out was at 11:00 which was earlier than the 12:00 I am used to at other places but the front desk told me that they would print me up my reciept and it would be waiting for me, as it was.
The employees here are top-notch. They do the best with what they have. Yes, it does seem to be a locals place with people with quite a few seniors and hard smoking locals. There was only a small arcade for the kids and that is it. I will likely not stay here again as there are many choices in Vegas that would be better to take a family too, like Sam's Town with their bowling alley and 22 screen movie theater. But I was impressed with the staff at arizona Charlie's.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank akidcagal
AZCharlies, Marketing Coordinator at Arizona Charlie's Decatur, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
First, I want to thank you for your kind words about our staff. We do strive to have the best customer service in town, and it's such a pleasure for our employees to receive guest recognition.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at Arizona Charlie's Decatur. The issues you encountered are not a normal experiences for our guests, the condition in which you found your room does not meet our usual high standards for cleanliness. Also, the hotel manager would like to mention that we are been planning to remodel the Meadows Tower, which will include a total bathroom makeover and new pillow mattresses among other items. We hope to see this project come to fruition in the near future.

In your review you mentioned the casino was very smoky. I would like to invite you to check out our fully enclosed non-smoking room, located downstairs by the Naughty Ladies Saloon. Our non-smoking room features many favorite Las Vegas slots including two progressives with Double Double Bonus. Its is the only enclosed non-smoking room in Las Vegas!

Thank you for both your feedback and an opportunity to improve. We appreciate you taking the time in doing this review.

Arizona Charlie's Decatur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
El Centro, California
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The hotel is a bargain if you don't want to stay on the strip and pay 300 a night. Clean rooms.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Arizona Charlie's Decatur was a pretty decent hotel. You have to stay in the new tower, and not the old one though. The hotel was clean, and a very good bargain. The only negative was having to walk through the casino, with all the smoke to the elevators for the room access, but other than that it was fine. Our toilet did overflow all over the bathroom floor, but the property staff were to the room in 3 minutes, literally to clean it up and fix the problem. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank sharondashariee
California
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We have stayed in the Klondike rooms before which we clean and adequate. During the week, we got the Arizona Charlie Suite this time with our kids, which has a Master bedroom, entry room, living room (about $135); the bathroom was huge with a huge tile shower (you could sit on the bench & not get wet) and a hug spa tub. The tub jets were missing the controller, but it did not bother us. The 2nd bedroom/bathroom joined the suite (which was about $85/night). Both rooms had a coffee maker and refrigerator. The suite had 3 TVs. The security is nice with room cards to activate the elevator and the security officers on bikes in the parking lots. It is a smokey casino, but most are like that in Vegas. It is not a far walk from the parking to the hotel, which is a great plus. They cleaned our room to make it not smell so smokey, since we requested non-smoking; it was pretty good. The King Bed in our room was very comfortable. It was great to have a separate room for our kids. I just wish it had a better pool that was open more often. It was closed when we went, but they said we could go to their companion hotel, the Stratosphere, to swim. We went to the Stratosphere to swim; the pool was cold, but it felt good since it was a hot day. The staff is nice. I took a look at the mini suites and they looked very nice.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CaWifeMom
Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Stay away from this awful place. We were kept awake all night long by smoke alarms which were deafening. These alarms went off every hour or so from 2am to 7am. When we tried to call down to the desk to find out what was going on, we were treated very rudely. We had no idea if there was a fire or what was happening and the elevators were not working. If there was a fire, we were near the top floor and did not feel we could evacuate safely. We had ZERO information given to us apart from the message that there was a possible fire and to stay alert. We found out the next morning that it was a false alarm in the casino caused by a smoking cigarette. We literally did not sleep that night, yet when we tried to get a reimbursement the next morning, we were again treated very rudely. The staff could have cared less that we literally spent a sleepless night over a badly handled security concern.

The room was old, smelled of cigarettes (even though it was a non smoking room) and was in an unsafe area. Do not stay here - this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank YankieDan

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Seminole, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2009

We stayed at Arizona Charlies Decatur on a Saturday night and paid $126.99 for one of the God awful beds I ever laid down on. The room was huge is the only good thing I can say about the room. The beds were so low to the floor and HARD and I used both pillows on top of each other and that still would not make one decent cheap pillow from Walmart. There were cigarette burns all over the carpet and even on the commode seat and bathtub and this was a non smoking room. This is strictly a locals joint and dark and smokey. Run...don't walk away from this hotel. The casino is small and we found machines to be very tight. The only decent part of the place is the bingo hall which is 24 hours and even losing there was much better than staying in that God awful room. I complained to the front desk about that bed the next day and they could have cared less. We only had to stay for 1 night until our reservation began at another hotel. Everything else was booked because of convention in town I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I have had better nights rest in a tent.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rtfulk
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 28 March 2009

I'm so tired of hearing people put this hotel down. stayed at Charlie's more than 20 times in the past 10 years, and in addition to it being a great bargain, it's clean, the machine's winning percentage is great, and the employees are friendly. This is a "locals" casino, unlike the strip hotel/casinos. That means it has to be better than the others to stay in business.

There is free transportation to the Strip and Downtown casinos all day, every day, so you're not stuck in the suburbs.

I read comments about the local casinos being "dangerous", with strange people hanging around. You think the strip and downtown hotels are safer? You'd be wrong. Charlie's has some of the best trained security officers out there. I know. I worked with them.

Yes, it's smoky. ALL the casinos are smoky. The table minimums are cheaper so EVERYONE can play, the food is good and reasonably priced so EVERYONE can eat.

I was a local in Vegas for 12 years. Charlie's on Decatur was my favorite, and I tried ALL of the casinos, to include Strip, Downtown, and other local casinos.

If you want a good casino at a reasonable price, with clean rooms, friendly staff, and great odds, Arizona Charlies on Decatur is the best bet.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple