New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Jersey City, New Jersey
“Rush Tower”

Pro's:
Checkin was easy
Staff was attentive everywhere you went
All of the resturaunts have delicious food, to satisfy any possible craving
Right on Freemont St.
Maid was kept room clean
Room was modern
Water in the shower/Tub was always hot. It was like having my own hottub

Cons:
Didnt have a Microwave (or at least I couldnt find it)
Didnt have a Fridge " "
For some reason I couldnt sleep more than 4-5 hours a night. The bed was very comfy, and our floor was quiet, I just couldnt figure out why I was so restless. I wonder if anyone else had that problem? Maybe something in the ventilation system?

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RubyCNJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,630)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This hotel seems to have it all. Great rooms, several swimming pools, restaurants bars etc.
First off I have to admit that I was upgraded to a room in the Gold Tower, we got a suite with a separate living room and kitchen. Totally unexpected but of course more than welcome! Your mileage may vary.

The hotel itself has a great location on lively Fremont Street. Different than the Strip but to be honest I liked it more. There are so many things to do within walking distance that I never felt bored. The Strip may have classier establishments but to be honest to me it's all the same kitsch. That was what I was going for anyway.

Because I did so many things during the day I never had time to relax in the pool but it certainly looks exciting. Don't expect olympic size swimming lanes, but it's nice anyway.
The restaurants looked ok, but I have to say that their buffet was horrible. I went on their 'luxury day' with seafood, it sure didn't matter.

One last thing: if you are a hotel guest, parking is free!

Room Tip: Well, they upgraded us without asking. Perhaps you could ask? I just feel very lucky.
3 Thank Ckickert
Albany, New York

The Good Stuff:

My room ranged from $49 (weekday) to $89 (weekend). The room size and quality was similar to ones that I've paid $160-$200 per night in metro areas, like Nashville TN, Springfield MA, or Poughkeepsie NY. This was simply the most luxurious $49 room I have ever slept in.

While undersized, it has a great pool area with a fire pit, outdoor bar, different levels, and a water slide that goes through a shark tank.

The Golden Nugget is located in the center of Fremont Street, which is the best free freak show on earth. I felt safe but I'm 6'4", 265 lbs, and ugly. If you like psychedelic music from the 70's or 80's hair-band rock then Fremont St. is for you. The "Experience," the street, and the people were very entertaining. I had a great time even though the scene is not really my cup of tea.

The Bad Stuff:

Everything cost extra: High speed Internet $13/day, lounge chair at the pool $20/day, fitness Room $20/day, three minute long distance phone call $26, bottle of water in the room $7, 4-pack of coffee in the room $10.

Their business model is simple: Inexpensive rooms to lure people and then expensive amenities throughout the hotel. Just be aware that the hotel is not a good value if you are looking for more than a room to sleep in. Consider that it'll cost $80 for a family of 4 to reserve lounge chairs by the pool.

Unlike the hotels on the Strip, the Golden Nuggets casino ceilings are low, the ventilation system is poor, and this hotel attracts smokers more than the typical casino. I was prepared for a very smoky casino area and it was far worse than I imagined. While I've never smoked, I wanted to start just so I could get the benefits of nicotine since walking through the casino was no different than having two lit cigarettes in your mouth.

Other stuff:

The breakfast buffet becomes a brunch on Sunday and they charge dinner prices.

The hotel has three Starbucks including one with an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy the Experience and "people watching" without rubbing elbows in the crowd.

The restaurants were good. The buffet was good, but it does attract buffet lovers, so be prepared to battle with very large people who cut you in line as if they are starving. Believe me. I know the type. I am one of them. The buffets at the Bellagio and Paris had much more normal people.

In the morning there are plenty of $5 blackjack tables.

I went in February and the place was hoping with activity. Its certainly not a dead hotel or on the verge of going out of business as some describe.

Conclusion:

Surprisingly, I would stay here again. Comfy bed, clean bathroom, big room, plenty to do and see. Just be warned that you are in smokers’ heaven and the inexpensive room rate is not indicative of the high price for basic hotel amenities. Everything costs extra, but that's a reflection of the entire town, not just the Golden Nugget.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ebreimer
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We traveled with 2 other couples and were pleasantly surprised with the rooms in the new Rush Tower at the Golden Nugget. The decor is sleek with clean lines. Our room was spotless! There was a nice flat screen TV, double vanities in the bathroom, plenty of seating and counter space. Our view was not the greatest, but who stays in their rooms the whole time at Vegas? The casino was VERY smokey and the only reason I didn't give 5 stars. It would seem there could be a better venting system with all the other beautiful renovations. There are nice stores for shopping and great restaurants. The Golden Nugget is located in the older part of town. It's the nicest of all the other hotels/casinos, which are in walking distance. The slots are seemingly a lot looser in the downtown district. If you're wanting the HUGE, FLAMBOYANT, SHOW STOPPING experience, this is not the place. HOWEVER, you can take a cab ($25 one-way) to the mega strip and make a day of it.
We've been traveling to Las Vegas since 1996 and have stayed on and off the strip plus downtown, and we like downtown the best.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Rush Tower are beautiful and is conveniently located close to the casino.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Thi was my first visit to Las Vegas. On arrival, we took a shared shuttle bus to be dropped at our hotels. We started by going to lots of hotels on the strip and then finally last stop was downtown and to the Golden Nugget. The Golden Nugget is one of the nicer hotels downtown but my advise would be to stay on the strip. Thankfully we were able to move to the Luxor which was 100 times better and for only 99 dollars more over the four nights we stayed there.

My advise would be if you want downtown, the Golden Nugget is fine. But seriously, stay on the strip! It's 1000 times better!

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ifeelgood0
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've stayed at every downtown (Fremont) and nearby hotel, well as a few on the strip. Will always stay downtown - old Vegas. My first time at the Golden Nugget and overall, I was happy with it - if I could give 3.5 stars out of 5, I would, but bumped it up to 4 instead of down to 3. Arrived and sent to the wrong tower, which meant 40 minutes of dragging luggage around after a long flight. Ordered a mini-fridge which failed to materialize after numerous requests, so I gave up. The bathtub drain was painfully slow - full of gross gunky hair. That's all - the rest was great - nice hotel, spacious room. I may check out the revamped Plaza next time - we had great sushi there (at the Plaza).

Room Tip: Original "Gold" tower rooms are all smoking, even if they say they're not.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dljpdx
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a great two day stay at Thanksgiving. We have been to the Golden Nugget many times and have stayed in the Carson tower (south tower) and the Gold tower (north tower) On this trip, we stayed in a Gold Club room in the Gold tower. In spite of some negatives, we thought the Gold Club room was fabulous.

Positives:
The room was bigger than the regular rooms, beautifully decorated, and clean. We thought the bed and the sofa were both comfortable. The pretty bathroom was a nice size. We liked the coffee maker. We brought our own Keurig coffe. We would bring coffee cups next time. The goodies in the hallway were replinished several times a day. We had a nice city view. Room service was quick, and the food was delicious. The pool is lovely. VIP receptionists are friendly and efficient. There are several good restaurants and a Starbucks.

Negatives:
The brown room decor and deep colored wood furniture made the room seem quite dark. The closet is inconveniently located in the bathroom. You have to get used to shutting the bathroom door to get something from the closet. The many shower heads are tricky, but managable. The Keurig coffee costs an additional $10.00. The regular front desk reception person was business-like and unfriendly. Downtown area may not be suitable for families.

Room Tip: Carson Tower- ask for a view of the Strip. The tower is furthest from the casino. Gold Tower...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple