“Not worth the trouble...”

Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Las Vegas
Ranked #78 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at the Hard Rock Wednesday through Saturday in April, 2012. Had two rooms for my party, both with mountain view.

ROOMS. Pretty good size, clean with nice interior. The bathroom was also spacious and clean, although I wish they provided more towels and shampoo. No coffee makers. Many reviewers complained about the noise, but I didn't notice it at all. Mountain view side was very quiet.

LOCATION. The hotel is about 10-15 min walk from the strip. We walked a few times and took a cab a few times which was around $10. Hotel is very close to the airport, so again I would recommend taking cab for around $14 with tip vs. shuttle for $6.50 per person which stops at every hotel. Hotel has complimentary shuttle to the strip every hour until 5pm - drop off is at the Fashion Shops Mall.

AMENITIES. Lots of restaurants - would recommend Mr Lucky for breakfast, great and very fast service and good breakfast / brunch food, they are open at night as well. Starbucks is open early / late and has excellent selection. Pool is great with sand - bring your swimsuit if it's warm. They have parties on the weekends. Bars, casino, show tickets in the lobby.

ISSUES. This is why I am giving this hotel a low rating...
1) Our 2 reservations were made completely separately through Hotels.com, yet both got "lost" when we got there. We had to spend literally 30 min on the phone with the hotels.com agent while he was faxing and re-faxing confirmation. Finally turned out the hotel fax was jammed and the person checking didn't bother fixing it until someone else came to help.
2) Free bottle of alcohol that came with the reservation promotion required a voucher which couldn't be issues right away because of mix up with lost reservation. You would think they would deliver it to the room - they didn't. I've asked the concierge and she pointed me to the front desk which had about 20 people waiting in line. I asked the next day and after much arguing received the voucher which had to be used at a bar that closes at 5pm - we were leaving next morning, so we never received the bottle.
3) If you are making reservation through 3rd party (expedia, travelocity etc.) watch out for the "resort fee", it gets charged separately, about $20 per night. Not optional.
4) Internet was supposed to be complimentary but never worked for me, it took me to the page asking for credit card info. At that point I spent so much time dealing with front desk, I didn't want to bother.
5) On the last day we got a message inviting us to a Saturday night party - they didn't even bother to check when we were leaving!!!

I paid full price for this hotel and was disappointed with all the problems that came up during our short stay. Personally I think it was overpriced, so would only recommend it if you get a deeply discounted rate like Groupon or another special. If you are booking through 3rd party, make sure to call ahead of time and ensure they have your reservation, otherwise they run out of rooms on the weekends and you may end up having to stay some place else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank OlgasTravels
Write a ReviewReviews (8,940)

Reviewed 21 April 2012

The good thing about being off the strip is that the rates are lower and there is not as much traffic if you want to leave the hotel. When I arrived the hotel smelled of paint thinner (they are doing some construction). It took over 45 minutes to get through the check in line. The elevators were speedy, employees friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the rock music playing in the common areas. Rooms in the Paradise Tower were a nice size, beds were comfy and the decor was tasteful. The light in the room was minimal, probably to hide the fact that the rooms are showing signs of wear (such as worn carpets). The shower was great, but if you want to avoid a flood, turn the shower head slightly toward the wall opposite the shower door.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I would recommend the HRH to anyone that just wants to let loose. However, the distance from the strip may not be worth it for everyone. The hotel is obviously well kept and five star, but I would not stay here again for the simple fact that I felt too far away from what's happening on the strip. 12-20 cab ride to the strip depending on where you are headed. If you do that several times a day back and forth over a couple of days it adds up. I had a king suite in the new HRH tower, nice room but nothing special or glamorous when one thinks of Vegas. That being said I got an incredible deal in the room and that is why I stayed there. 350 for three nights. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I had to wait four hours for my room to be ready and concierge gave me four tickets for comp drinks which was nice. There is a shuttle to the fashion show mall every hour on the hour from 10-5 so that is convenient.
Main note: the beds were the MOST comfortable beds I have ever enjoyed!
I wouldn't return to this hotel only because it was not convenient for my needs, but I would strongly recommend this hotel to those that do not mind the drive and don't mind skipping out on the glitz and glamor the Vegas strip.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

The room was beautiful! The bed was comfortable and so were the pillows! the bathroom was super! the walk-in shower was so relaxing! The TV had at least 150 channels! The personell from the registration desk to the waitresses and bartenders in the gaming room were very friendly and greeted and smiled. The location was not too far from the Strip, so there weren't too many people in the gaming room ( a good thing!). The food at Mr. Lucky's was very good. I didn't use the mini-bar because there were no prices!

1  Thank Kris L
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The hotel is approx 1.3 miles from the main Vegas strip. Bear this in mind because it is too short to take a taxi but far enough that it adds 2.6 miles to your walking each day.

The hotel itself is very impressive but didn't have the quantity of rock memorabilia you would probably expect. You'll see more in a decent HRC - Memphis, London, Orlando etc.

The rooms are well appointed, the beds are fantasticly comfortable but the bathrooms are very dark.

You couldn't say the service is good in the hotel because you don't really get any. It's the sort of place where you just hang your head at night.

There is a good 24/7 restaurant on site. A little pricey but decent food and huge portions.

There are a couple of other restaurants on site. The Pink Tacho is decidedly average and the other more expensive steak restaurant is very good.

There is a tattooist (but book before you go if you want one and check out the work of the designers on their website first as some of them don't look great).

There is a hard rock store and a couple of clothes shops.

That's about it.

However, we only paid about £350 for a week which was an absolute bargain. It seems harsh to complain about anything for that price and actually our major issue was we got hardly any sleep for a week. You can get something called a Backstage Pass. No one explained to us what this was about and I didn't realise it was available until about the 3rd or 4th day so didn't even bother enquiring but I imagine it is some sort of points scheme where you get money off.

Room Tip: Do not book a room with a pool view. I chose the mountain view (because it was less expensive) and w...
1  Thank DEJohnson
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I am not a gambler so I can not rate the casino. The pool is spacious with lots of different areas for everyone. The Casino Tower has the best rooms. Even though it is the older building, it is well taken care of. The rooms are clean and very spacious. And the best thing, the balcony doors open. You can over look the pool and see the Strip.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The main thing I loved about this room was the bed. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. It was amazingly comfortable. Loved it...The room was very nice. Really liked the bathroom. They supply an iron, blow dryer, soaps and shampoo. There are snacks and drinks in the room which are an extra charge if consumed. The hotel was nice. Beautiful swimming pool area but I thought it closed early at 6pm, so no evening hot tubs. They do charge a "resort fee" which we did not know until our arrival. I was not happy about that as its just another way of extracting money underhandedly and the pool area wasn't even open in the evening. They charge $18 per day, per room for resort fee. The location was not ideal. It was a few long blocks from the strip. If I had known that I would probably not have chosen this hotel. If you don't mind the long walk or taking a taxi then the location would not matter.