“Loved the Flamingo and hope to be back”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #121 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ontario, Canada
“Loved the Flamingo and hope to be back”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at Flamingo Las Vegas with my husband from April 7-10 for a birthday celebration. We have been to Las Vegas once before, in November 2009, where we stayed at Planet Hollywood.

From the sounds of other's reviews, we were fortunate to arrive late in the day with only a handful of guests in the registration line. On subsequent days we saw line-ups in the lobby of close to 100 people waiting to check in/out. It would have been at least an hour's wait--not the best way to start your vacation.
All of the staff we encountered at the hotel were very helpful. On the day we checked out there was another very long line-up at the registration desk, but being Total Rewards members (worth the free sign-up) we were able to use the Express Check-out which took only seconds.

We booked a 'GO Deluxe' King room on the 19th floor with a view of the gardens and were not disappointed. It was spacious with a large closet, mirror, television and good size bathroom. The bed was incredibly comfortable. My only two complaints are that a) the sound system isn't exactly an iPod 'dock'...meaning you need to have an HDMI connector to use it (something I wish I'd known beforehand), and b) the sliding frosted glass door to the bathroom offers little in the way of privacy. We stayed as a couple so it wasn't much of an issue, but with all the food & alcohol one consumes in Vegas it would have been nice to have a bit of a sound barrier...and an exhaust fan!
Maid service came daily and did a great job, refreshing towels and stocking up on extra toiletries.

The location of the hotel was definitely a high point for us, as we frequent the strip a LOT during our stay. Right in the middle of the strip, Flamingo is a great hub for visiting almost any other location on Las Vegas Boulevard. The casino was open, spacious, and just the right size...not too large like others we saw, where it can take 20 minutes to get from one end to other. The Margaritaville casino was our favourite. It opens onto the strip so you get great views, sunshine, and fresh air...and margaritas!
We dined at a few locations in the hotel--the food court was convenient and everything we tried was great (play "Rockin' Robin" in the jukebox at Johnny Rockets and the staff come out and dance--comedic!). According to my husband, Bonanno's has the best strombolis for $9 and I'd have to agree. We ate lunch at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville and won't go back. The bloody mary was so bitter that neither of us could finish it, and the 'peel & eat shrimp' were cold, stale and not what I expected. The Paradise Garden buffet might have been nice, but the line-up was so long every day that we never bothered to find out. And we were bummed to find that Carlos' and Charlie's is still under construction and not serving.
The pool grounds were just as I'd hoped--a tropical paradise. Everyone else seemed to love it too, and it was difficult to find a vacant lounger. If you're with a group of 4 or more, you might find it worth renting a cabana or day bed for $175+ so that you can all find a place together.

What did I like best about Flamingo? It was a fantastic stay for $450pp (taxes & flight incl.). The atmosphere was great and never felt 'cheap'. I'm not sure that I would stay at one of the more luxurious hotels even if they were the same price--they just felt stuffy and lacked energy. From the lights, the location, and the Caribbean theme, Flamingo is where it's at. THIS is what Vegas is all about, and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank uwogrrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,757)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Flamingo was brilliant. It is the oldest casino/hotel on the strip but you would not know it and It was great staying somewhere with some history.
We did not get one of the fancy rooms shown on the website or other reviews but a standard room. It was still more than adequate. The bed was huge and comfortable. Clean sheets and towels every day.
There seemed to be a party going on in the room next to us one morning (2am'ish) we called security and they were removed immediately.
Great place to stay and right in the middle of the strip. Would recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hturn
akron
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I just got back from a 3 night stay. the room was comped ( free) and have stayed at Harrahs, Bally's and Paris alot.. I thought I would try the Flemingo as I always ended up playing there any way,,, after I made the reservation, I almost changed hotel 3 times prior to getting to the Flamingo from all the negitive reviews here. Yes the check in line was long, but it moved really fast less then 15 minutes from end to check in. The room was GREAT... big, clean and a great view, all I did was ask for a strip view and was given it, one with the B-Fountians to look at..and there no extra $$ at all for the view. I did want a king bed, but had to take 2 queen to get the view but that was okay. The beds are nice lot of pillows, the bathroom was clean, a little outdated but it is a bathroom. the room was pretty quite, did hear some hall noise a few times...the Buffet was about the same as most buffets in vegas,, the casino was nice and friendly, smelled nice ( funny I know but it did), I did notice that if a guest asked a staff member where something was, they did not tell them, they SHOWED them where it was by walking them there... it is a great time,,the location is great,, right in the middle of the strip... I must say, that was I a little tired of Jimmy Buffett when I left, as the club is right out front and you hear his music all the way down the street.. but that was okay.. so all in all I am GLAD I stayed there....I then figured it out.. for every ONE person who complains about the hotel there is 100 of us that had a good time and liked it... I will be going back in June with my family and stay there for 5 nights this time...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank katface04
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I have stayed at the Flamingo every year for nearly 10 years and I was really disappointed this year. I go to Vegas for business so all I'm looking for in my room is that everything work and that it have the basic amenities. The pros of the Flamingo are 1) its location, smack dab in the middle of the Strip; and 2) the pool/outdoor area is gorgeous. This year we stayed in one of the "old" rooms which still was very nice. The room was very large -- we had a regular King bed room and there would have been plenty of room for a kid or two or three to share. The decor felt fresh and clean. But lots of things were missing. We did not have a refrigerator or mini bar or coffee maker as is pretty standard in most 2 star hotels. Our room also had no information about the hotel other than a room service menu. There was no pad of paper, no pen. The remote control for the TV worked only sporadically. The second day we received no bath mat. There was no Privacy Wanted hang tag for the door so we could not keep the maids out. There was no option to not have the sheets/towels changed and no information about trying to save water or energy. It seemed like the hotel was saying "so you want a cheap room? You got a cheap room." Also, a number of people we talked to said that they arrived earlier than 4pm but were told there are no early check-ins unless you paid $25. If you got there early they would not give you a key until 4pm. Everywhere we went inside the hotel we were accosted by sales people trying to get us to go to the timeshare presentation for the property's timeshare component. We were, however, pleasantly surprised with the food in the main dining area, I'd call it the coffee shop. Most entrees were large enough for two to share. If you get a player's club card, called Total Rewards now, you get points and discounts when you eat at the Flamingo's restaurants and shop in their stores. There was no information about this in the room either and because we used the express check-in kiosk (which worked great by the way --- thank goodness we didn't have to stand in the mile long queue) we didn't know about it until we'd already spent a bunch of money in the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank lcinla
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I like the casino at the Flamingo but I do not like what Harrah's is doing to the Strip; they are buying up the properties and ruining what used to be a place to have a good time. We stayed 4/7-4/10/12.
We selected the Flamingo because of the pool, it is beautifully done. But we didn't realize that it's a Party Pool with loud music and craziness (I didn't realize that girls today tattoo their whole bodies!). Not that we don't enjoy a good party but we went to relax and that's not what you get at that pool.
I knew the rooms would be outdated but they were more like an old Motel 6. You can upgrade to a 'Go Room' for $40/night but that offer felt like a bait and switch, so I didn't bite. What really ticked me off was that we arrived at noon and they would not let me have my room until between 4-6pm. Well, they did let me have it early after I paid a $20 (now $35) hostage fee. But you see, this is what Harrah's is doing to the Strip, they are totally ruining it and I will not spend any more of my time, or money, at a Harrah's establishment. There are many other good places to go. I will stay downtown from now on....

Room Tip: I don't know what to tell you about getting a good room, be prepared to pay an upcharge to get o...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert B

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed in a Go Room. Already looking not brand new but nice. Didnt have right room when checked in and got attitude from staff. Second room we got was better. Hallways dirty, signage missing, and this is on the better floors allegedly. but that is minor; the rooms are good value and recommend. The down side is the pool. We picked this based on one third the room and two thirds on the pool. Well like everywhere else on the strip they have put it loads of cabanas for rich people and thus taken away loads of loungers. Thank you jet lag because if you arrived after 9:30 there were basically no loungers left. As mentioned my body clock was ahead so got there about 9:15 each day. Except last day and I went at 8:55 just as it was opening, I was about 500th in line. So now you know; on a nice day you need to be line at 8:30 for a good spot. Queueing for a pool; it's quite ridiculous. Then after you get there you have the pool-Gestapo, whereby if you move a bed one inch or drink a pop not from the pool you will get reprimanded. There is zero room between loungers. When i say zero I mean zero. They are almost joined together. Food and drink prices by the pool are dear. Food at the hotel was ? Johnny Rockets had great burgers but the buffet at the hotel was limited in choice and quality: Just convenient. Would not recommend in pool season but ok for a winter stay because of it's excellent location.

• Stayed April 2012
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is the fourth or fifth year in a row I've stayed here, and the changes that began a few years ago are really starting to come together. I come here on business and I come here for a couple of weeks at a time, so I can't always afford the upgrade to the "Go!" or "Fab" rooms. I have stayed in the "Go!" rooms and recommend them. The Fab rooms look like they are awesome. But even the standard room I'm in now is nice. The carpet is in great shape, the furniture is nice, and the bed comfortable. I played in the new Margaritaville Casino and had a great time. The pool has always been one of the best in Vegas with the landscaping and waterfalls, but the change they made last year moving the "Go!" adults only pool to the main area and moving the families up to the garden pool made the main pool even better for me. They had a great DJ who brought a nightclub feel to the pool without being obnoxious, and it's easy to spend all day by the pool without being bored. The casino has more energy at night than it used to. The stodgy old steakhouse (and some dead hallway space) is now the Margaritaville casino. Part of the sports book that was always dead is becoming Carlos & Charlie's (not open yet, but it looks close.) The trainwreck that was the Burger Joint is now a hip looking steakhouse. The spa area appears to be roped off for remodeling, too. If you're old and hate change, you'll probably hate what's going on here, but the stodgy old Flamingo is becoming modern and I like it. I hope the prices stay reasonable when they finish.

Room Tip: Even if you don't play, sign up for a Total Rewards card. With it, I was able to skip the check...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business