“Asked to leave pool area. would be charged with Tresspassing if we do not leave” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #91 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Usually love this hotel, been many times. They closed the pool on us and asked us to leave the area. It was a beautiful sunny day. Would not even let us sit in the area!!!!!!.Winter time. Not happy at all. They lost my Birthday basket sent from a friend.,It was sent to a room i was supposed to be in, but was changed at last minute. could not even find the card so i could see who it was from, they sent a replacement and i got a free dinner, but my friend was ANNOYED as it was NOT what she paid for.and i was not told it was replaced by them. The company are not at all happy where it was sent from. They did not charge us the resort fee because we complained.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PaulineHenderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed there for 6 nights in mid-February for a conference. We didn't try the restaurants. There isn't much around as far as places to grab food but there is a Starbucks and a small cafeteria. The pool wasn't open, so I can't comment on that. We had a strip view, otherwise the view would be the airport.

Pros:
-Easy walk to MGM, Excalibur, etc
-Comfortable, clean bedding
-Good TV
-Good room security
-Non-smoking room didn't smell like smoke
-Friendly staff

Cons:
-No in room fridge
-Club Tower is a bit of a hike from main hotel
-Casino is very, very warm and has a strong "tropical" smell
-Thin walls
-If noise bothers you, the nightclub below can be very loud.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

A lower level of expectation could be assumed if having just checked out of the Bellagio, a traveler then checked into the Tropicana for two nights. However, I was not only pleasantly surprised by the fresh, clean look of the "new" Tropicana, but I actually loved staying there!

It certainly can't be compared to the luxurious 5 star Bellagio, but the crisp smart look of the casino as well as the new plantation-style decor put me at ease the moment I walked into our suite.

I reserved a Paradise suite overlooking Las Vega Blvd facing north. The view was fantastic, particularly at night and I loved the fact that I could actually open my windows rather than slide open a small slot in the base of a window frame to allow the cool night air into the room.

I was also astonished by the size of the Paradise suite. It was huge! You could throw a party for 15 people and still have room to dance! The parlor area had a credenza that housed a mini refrigerator where I found several complimentary bottles of water. On top of the credenza sat a 42" plasma HD TV (there was another one in the bedroom) as well as a Keurig coffee maker with all supplies necessary to make a fresh brew and get me started in the morning. The credenza also had a built-in mini sink. A second credenza allowed for plenty of storage of whatever you might want to put in there.

As to the new decor, the parlor contained a desk and two chairs a very comfortable chaise lounge and ottoman wrapped in antique cream colored, ultra sued. The cardinal colored daybed-style couch was framed by dark amber bamboo which gave it more warmth. The color pallet of the suite consisted of honey and chestnut woods, bamboo, cream colored walls with accents of cardinal red.

Though it had a fresh updated look, I decor gave me a sense of being transported back to the hip Rat-Pack era where Frank, Dean and Sammy once gathered to plan their casino heist in "Oceans Eleven," and I liked that very much.

As to the staff, 99% of them went over the top in the friendliness and helpful category, almost to the point of being obsequious in the case of one gentleman who delivered a meal to our room. Speaking of room service, the menu is quite limited, but they will try their best to accommodate your requests even if a particular item you crave is not on their menu. Again, this was just another example of how hard they try to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The only complaints I had was with a slightly rude parking valet attendant (though all the others were terrific) and the less than satisfactory room cleaning service I received. The person who "cleaned" our suite didn't dust the nightstand where some talcum powder had landed nor did she empty the ashtray in the parlor. I always clean and tidy my room before I leave it so there is never much for a cleaning person to do and I always leave a tip every day. There's no excuse for missing those things because neither was hard to miss.

For anyone who has seen the pool area and the mature tropical landscaping surrounding it, you'll understand what I mean when I call it a tropical paradise. For those who have not seen it, even if you don't plan to go swimming, you HAVE to take a walk along the jaw-dropping trails of the landscaped pool area. Oh and bring your camera with you.

As a professional travel consultant, I stayed at the Tropicana principally to do a sight inspection of the new renovation. What I never expected was to find myself so pleased and happy to be staying there. Would I go back again? Oh hell yes, in a New York minute.

The only recommendations I would make is for better oversight of the room cleaning staff and an expanded room service menu. Other than that, Tropicana managed to hit one out of the park. Way to go Tropicana and congratulations!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janet H
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I try to stay at a different hotel every business trip to Las Vegas, just to keep it interesting. This time it was the Tropicana, having heard it was remodeled. Lobby is cool. Room was quite nice, though on the 4th floor you can hear the casino slot machines, one in particular that erupts every 60 seconds with a clanging cacophony. Most people would ask to change rooms, but I use earplugs, so it was OK, but I'd definitely request higher floors! Pillows are soft and filled with a synthetic filling of some sort that I really dislike. No fridge, but great TV. Now the weird part: I stayed three nights, but never did I get my room cleaned! I phoned Housekeeping when I got back to my room late on day two to advise they missed cleaning the room, and no, I was in for the night so no need to come now. Then it happened AGAIN the following day. This time I called the front desk manager, and lodged a complaint. They said they wouldn't charge the (silly) "Resort Fee" as compensation. Concierge lady lacked professionalism, making a jokey, semi-snide remark when I simply asked where to board the tram to Mandalay Bay. So my beefs are not with the premises so much as the people that run it. Funny place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Riley373
Portland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Newly remolded with great sports book and friendly staff. Price is right. This is our 4th stay here and like the location and pace.

Room Tip: Great views of strip last two times from South and West sides. Sirens from Emergency vehicles can be...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

When we arrived at Hotel Tropicana they allowed us to check into our room early which was a nice suprise. Staff were also very helpful at all times with any requests we had. The room itself was newly renovated with an extremely comfy king bed, flat screen TV and great large bathroom. As we paid only $40/night we found it excellent value for money. Also we were expecting to pay a resort fee on top of this (we were told it was mandatory at time of booking with Expedia) but it seemed that it was no longer a mandatory charge when we arrived, we never had to pay it and we still received free wifi in our room!
In terms of location the hotel is certainly close to one of the end's of the Strip, but defintely the nicest end. Its right across the road from MGM Grand and New York, New York and within easy walking distance of the most famous casinos (Bellagio, Caesars Palace etc).
The only thing I didnt like was the smoking inside the casino (but this was the same of all casinos we went into on the Strip). However, I am happy to say our non-smoking room did not smell of cigarettes at all which was fantastic.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Bowen Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful Valentine's celebration in Las Vegas. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff were helpful. On the 14th. we dined at the Baci Italian Rest. and the dinner was exceptional. I can't say enough about the servers and the beautiful young gal that helped me acquire some glasses and Italian bread for our room prior to our dinner engagement. Thank you again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple