“Pluses and Minuses”

The Mirage Hotel & Casino
Ranked #50 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My wife and I just returned from staying 2 nights at the Mirage. Overall it was a good trip, but there were a few things that could have been better.
First, the minuses- Volcano was out of order. I was really excited about seeing that and no one informed us before or during the trip (I had to ask). Another minus was the room. It's nicely decorated, but our room (9044) needed some touch ups and the bathroom ceiling had bubbles as though there was a leak above (we could hear water dripping above the bubbles and I did call it in to the front desk). Another minus is the tv. I know that people don't go to Vegas to watch tv and the point is to discourage you from just sitting in your room, but the quality of this HDTV was bad (only 6 or 8 HD channels) and the choices were bad too. Even though we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, it is nice to wake up, relax in a nice bed and watch tv or unwind at night doing the same. Another minus was that there was no coffee maker in the room. I've worked in the hotel industry and travelled many, many times and that's a first.
On the dining options within the Mirage, there are both pluses and minuses. A big plus would be the options and quality of the food. Although we only ate at Fin, California Pizza Kitchen and the Frozen Yogurt Place (morning crepes!), all were quality and the rest of the restaurants looked just as good and the reviews seemed to back this up.
The big minus was the lack of vegetarian options. I realize that is a very small portion of the clientele, but my wife just happens to be one who fits in that small section. You would think that each restaurant would have at least 2 options besides salad and vegetable sides. Fin did a great job of providing my wife with a few options and what she chose was delicious (tofu and mushroom clay pot with broccoli). I had the seafood lo mein which also was fantastic and the service was great too.
It was also a shame that 2 locations were closed (BB Kings and Kokomo), and even though a new restaurant was being constructed while we were there, it also provided a bit of an eye sore off the lobby. I too realize that the winter months are probably the best time to do these kinds of changes (volcano repair/tune up and install new restaurant), but it's still not ideal to stay at a place while this is happening.
One thing we did love was the show LOVE by Cirque du Soleil. It was simply amazing. And the store outside the theater is a "don't miss" if you are a Beatles fan.
I would have liked to try the buffet (again, not enough vegetarian options), Japanois and the Carnegie Deli, maybe next time when I stay at a different location.
The last plus was the visit to see the dolphins and the Sigfried & Roy Secret Garden, they both make for a pleasant option that puts you out of the norm in Vegas.
I'd like to stress though, this hotel isn't terrible, just a bit over priced and could use a bit of creative design.

2  Thank Steve R
Write a ReviewReviews (18,332)

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Mirage is one of the top hotel and casino in Vegas. Excellent service with a smile. The food is great with good prices. The rooms are always clean and enjoyable. I strongly recommend the Mirage to everybody.

Room Tip: the rooms are big and comfortable, but always clean with good service.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I haven't stayed here since it first opened but it was nice to return. Check -in was fast and easy. I was given a free room upgrade (unknown reason). The room was very comfortable and relaxing.
Room service was prompt and courteous. Too cold for the pool.
Many restaurants both in the hotel and nearby hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: Couldn't hurt to ask for a free upgrade!
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Enjoyed my 2 night stay at the Mirage. Close to main area of the Strip.
Only interaction with hotel staff was at check in, all staff were friendly and helpful. Resort is not so large that it took forever to get everywhere, but it looks well cared for. Went to the Coffee Bean for a late breakfast they have a good selection of coffee's and pastries. Carnegie Deli and the California Pizza Kitchen must have been good the lines were long to get in.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My fiance was in Vegas for some work meetings and his company put us up in this hotel. The rooms were nice and the hotel is well located in the middle of the strip so it makes it easy to get from one place to another.This hotel isn't so big that it takes you too long to get from one end to the other. We never waited long for an elevator and the staff all seemed friendly. The bed was really comfortable and it was nice that we could open our window and let in a little fresh air. Overall it was a great stay and I would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jls522
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was our first stay at the Mirage. We went out for a quick trip and the rates were great in January. We had a 25th floor strip view room. I think the rooms have been recently renovated. It was stunning and immaculate in a wonderful contemporary design. The Mirage has a nice assortment of restaurants, both everyday and upscale. We liked it especially because of the California Pizza Kitchen and the BLT Burger Bar on the property. Both were excellent. Their upscale Italian restaurant is Onda. We didn't dine in the restaurant, but we did stop in at the Onda Wine Bar and it is a real gem. It has a wonderful selection of wines by the glass, even though the reds could be served at a little better temperature. A nice bar menu of items to share as well. It was perfect for a light dinner and a quiet little respite from the hustle and bustle of Vegas. The service we received from everyone on the property was excellent. The Mirage has the Cirque du Soleil Beatle's LOVE show as one of their main entertainment attractions. Mystere is our favorite next door at Treasure Island, but the LOVE show is marvelous to watch and listen to. There is a tram over to TI and Caesar's is a quick walk next door. We've found a new home when we visit Las Vegas.

Room Tip: We like the strip view rooms, but suggest that you try for the 25th or 26th floor to stay up high en...
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Average in Vegas is not really worth much, since there are so many options. phone service and internet service were iffy in this hotel, which is a negative. Rooms were clean and tasteful but so small for Vegas and let me just agree with everyone talking about the small bathrooms. This sounds weird but Mirage did not stink like many of the casinos--that combination of smoke and last night's partying. Restaurants were okay but nothing I would go back to. I would stay at the Mirage again if the price beat others but I would check around to see if I could find something a little better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business