“Downtown value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #108 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Portland, Oregon
“Downtown value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I walked through the Plaza years ago before the remodel and after returning and staying there I have to say that it's an impressive job that has been done. The Plaza is a great value for the money and it was the first time that I have stayed downtown. That being said, there is a reason that downtown is less visited. The strip is impossible to beat but somewhere like the Plaza is a great option for value and convenience. I have heard people complain about the noise from the Fremont Street Experience but I stayed in the south tower so I can't attest to that. The rooms were small and somewhat shabby but much better after the remodel I'm sure. The location can't be beat if you are looking for added value by staying downtown. The food options are great at the Plaza, I was especially impressed with the Hash House. The pool area is quite abysmal. That is an area that really needs some work and I hope the remodel eventually reaches there. When we went up the pool deck was in complete disorder and it was obvious that this part of the casino is a complete afterthought. There is a bar and cafe up there but it looks like it's been the 1990's since it has been open. Creating a fun place to be and possibly a dance club and lounge area similar to Pure would be a home run since Gold Diggers is really the only other club downtown. I might stay downtown again but the Plaza wasn't impressive enough to get my return business. From the looks of things I would most likely try the Nugget next time. But if you are looking for a different experience from the strip and want a more cost effective option, try downtown and give the Plaza a shot.

Room Tip: Choose the south tower if you want quiet and the north for the view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank HikeBiker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I got sucked into the story about the Plaza’s renovation being ”old school” Vegas. I avoided the property in the past because it was smelly and dank. I did visit the Casino previous. While they have renovated, it is by no means the total overhaul advertised and the management needs plenty of work.
I booked direct with the hotel and that was easy. The rates were cheap so I was never expecting a 5 star hotel. I figured they were offering these rates to get people who knew the place only as its former dump to give it a try. However the rates turned out to be all the hotel is worth. I usually stay at the Nugget and next time that’s where I will return. The Nugget is a little more but a way better property overall.
Parking at the Plaza is scary. This area is just plain dank and smelly. However the parking attendants are the nicest people on the property. Check in was good. The girl was pleasant but in usual Vegas style has a washed over look on her face. This is fairly routine in Vegas where people are “yet another face gone tomorrow”. I had booked 5 nights for my tenth anniversary. This was on the reservation. No fanfare. OK with me as I am sure people are all celebrating something or other and hotels can’t give out the champagne every third customer.
The common ways and Casino certainly have been cleaned up quite a bit. It’s no longer a dump. I never saw the rooms before. But I can imagine as some of it is still left behind. The room renos are just plain odd. All the furniture is new, the tile in the bath all new. But the bathtub is old. The doors and lightswitches … OLD. Why would you not change the plastic outlet covers? In bulk they must be about 10 cents each. And why tile around an old tub? Toilet was new as was the sink. The bath is very small. In fact the entire room is quite small. Somewhat “dorm room”. There is no closet. In the first room (yes I changed rooms, more later) the bath room door didn’t close properly. You had to shoulder it closed and open as the opening was simply too small for the door. This resulted in little shavings falling to the floor each time as the door scraped away. Just plain odd to ignore such a thing in the reno. The door knobs were all filthy and tarnished too. Why renovate and stop here? WEIRD. Overall it wasn’t bad but the musty smell of mold was present. This must have been real bad before or there is a new leak/problem? This first night I barely slept at all as the old AC unit make various noises each time it came on and sounded like a helicopter was landing. Very loud.
I informed the front desk about the AC and the bathroom door the next morning and they said they would have someone take a look. When I returned to the room about 8 hours later it appeared no one was there to look as the pile of shavings was still there. Ignored also by housekeeping. Also the dirty towels had been taken but no new bath towels left.
I went to front desk to inquire about the AC and the woman was being quite short with the fellow in front of me. When it was my turn she was pretty terse with me also. She wouldn’t tell me if anyone had looked at it but said there was a note for someone to look at it. OK … but the problem still exists. She offered to move me and was quite impatient. Fine, I’ll gladly move. So I get back to the room and start packing up. Maintenance is now at my door wanting to fix the AC. While I pack he checks the AC. He thinks it’s not so loud. I disagree and he says “the new units in some of the rooms and very quiet but this is old unit and this is how they sound”. Once again …. Renovated???? I then point out the bath door as he wasnt told about this (thorough hotel communication?)
The new room was the same layout mirror image on a different floor. It was the same with new furniture but old doors, handles, light switches. While the AC wasn’t new it was newer and much quieter. This room also didn’t stink like mold. We unpacked and slept that night. The next day when we returned to the room there were no wash cloths in the room. I saw the maid in the hallway so I went out and asked her if she had any. She said she had none and had to wait for the “porter” to bring them. Alright, if she has none she has none. Coming back that night I just assumed they would have them in the room but no. Had to call for them. What’s next? No sheets tomorrow? It became our joke. The joke almost came true. The next day the bed was barely made. We wanted the sheets changed but that didn’t happen. The covers were just flipped back over the bed, not tucked in or anything. SLOPPY! And then the next day there was no toilet paper. It’s the small things that can make or break you. In this case the Plaza was a total farce. I waited 10 mintues on hold to ask for toilet paper. 20 minutes later it hadn’t come. Called again and 10 mintues later it came. Checking out was fine but again the girl was snarky with me. I don’t know why as I wasn’t complaining. She didn’t ask how my stay was so I didn’t say anything. She made some strange remarks about my wife being dressed nice and me “ok” and with that we were on our way. I wasn’t offended, I didn’t care just thought it was weird.
There are zero amenities in the room. Bring your own. No shower cap, newsprint like toilet paper and tissue (when you get any at all) and tiny soaps about the size of a dollar coin. Towels are typical cheap Wal-Mart specials. No coffee maker.
Overall room condition is good for the price. These rooms are not a romantic getaway room. If I was on my own it would be fine. But the tiny bath and bleak amenities made me wish I had stuck with the Nugget for this trip. As mentioned above in details the little touches a hotel can do for next to free like service and little things do not exist. Pool area? This is also hilarious. It’s like a prison exercise yard in the movies. No environment whatsoever. NONE.
In conclusion I would not go back to this hotel as is. I visit Vegas often to gamble on my own and the Plaza is more suited to a bachelor than a couple but the service and little touches need work. These things are present on other hotels with nicer pools and people. The rate was cheap but frankly it’s not worth a dollar more than I paid, maybe less. I get similar rates elsewhere for much better everything.
The Oscars restaurant is a total joke too. Ate there and we both got ill. We were excited to see that this dome was a real restaurant again. At least we thought it was but it’s not. It’s a total pretender. They messed up our reservation (weeks in advance) and screwed up the Filet Mignon (ordered medium was actually blue in the middle … yes BLUE) We both had food poisoning the next day. Oscars wasn’t cheap either. The only thing they had going was the server was entertaining. They are trying to be fancy but once again hadn’t gone all the way with renos or operations.
All in all I prefer the old Vegas of Downtown. I recommend to everyone that getting off the strip and into downtown is a whole new Vegas. But the Plaza hasn’t done anything that makes it my recommendation for the area. Not even a second choice. Like the Vegas Club next door it’s just an odd and unfriendly place.

5 Thank lashing

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Had a Thursday / Friday night stay in May and was very impressed.

They have done a good job with the renovations. I had a south tower room facing towards the strip.

The rooms are now smart, comfortable, if a little sparce, but the fontainbleau furniture is pretty nice, so they struck lucky there. The bathrooms are nice, however they are on the small side

For the price, this is definitely a good option for a downtown stay. a good value for money option.

The pool area is a litle stark, but at least you have it as an option, not many pools downtown!

This was my first downtown stay in 12 years of Las Vegas visits, and with the improvements going on I will definitely be back for another stay.

I would recommend a stay at The Plaza

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bluestorm2000
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Our stay was throughout the week and the casino was still buzzing. The tables were nice, actually won on a couple of them. The room is recently remodeled and well done. There is a pretty firm-big bed and tiny bath closet - you almost have to stay sitting on the toilet in order to open the bathroom door to get out.
Wonderful staff - I would recommend getting the players card. For the two of us, we received about $60 in slot play including free tickets to a show, 2-for-1 drinks and dinner comps!
We ate at the Hash House a Go-Go twice and the food is so filling. We could skip eating all the way to dinner we were so stuffed! Definitely a great price too.
Oscar's is a fancier restaurant where items are "a la carte" so be prepared to pay more.

Overall, fantastic time - I am already planning our next trip to the Plaza!

2 Thank Jade J
Hugo, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here from May 20th, to the 23rd. Loved it. Room was very nice and clean. Pool was wonderful, casino great, check in and out went perfect. Great price & great location. Will go back and stay at this hotel.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I just needed a cheep but decent place to sleep for one night cause we got in after midnight. I'm not a fan of the downtown area first off. This hotel wasn't to bad for the money and the rooms were actually pretty nice.

Pros
low price and the rooms are nice and good sized

Cons
you can hear and feel the train passing by even in tower 2 on the Fremont side. and then you can hear the bands music from Fremont street till late. Pool wasn't that great at all.

So if your looking for a quiet place to sleep this isn't it. But if you don't care about noise and the pool area and you like this part of town then its not bad if you get the low rate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark B
Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed here with my husband and some friends for 4 days (May 17-21 2012). It was a great experience! The rooms are very clean, the bed was comfy and the people were very friendly. This was the first time we had stayed downtown and we all LOVED it! Great location and easily to walk to the bus stops and get to the main strip if you want. Night life was fun, lots of concerts and entertainers. Spend one evening at the Golden Nugget club and had a great time! I was very pleasantly surprised with the condition of the hotel! I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends