“Having dinner with friends”
Review of Island Buffet

Island Buffet
Ranked #31 of 1,049 Restaurants in Reno
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Peppermill’s Island Buffet offers an abundant selection of hot entrees, carved meats, savory soups, fresh salads, several made-to-order specialties and home-baked desserts.
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

My buddies and I came to the Peppermill to eat dinner at the buffet. It had been a long time since I've eaten at this buffet. We've eaten ar all the restaurants here at the Peppermill and they all have been great, except the buffet. I was a little leary about coming here but figured it's been a long time and hoped it was better. To my relief they had improved the buffet greatly. The food tasted much better and there was a better variety. The quality of the food was much better and tastier. I would definitely come back here the next time I'm at the Peppermill. The buffet is good for all ages. There is a huge variety of food to choose from plus they have lots of desserts too !!

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had breakfast here a couple of times during our stay here. Restaurant was clean. Breakfast buffet spread was pretty good. Breakfast dishes tasted fairly good, not bad at all actually. Very attentive staff. We will eat here again.

Thank you Island Buffet.
Aloha!

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Good buffet. We went for lunch and spent about 2 hours in glutton heaven. Started with a fresh salad, enjoyed the Chile pupusa, the guacamole, perfect crispy bacon, Macaroni and cheese was also good. My favorite was the Caramel Peanut gelato. It tasted like the inside of a snickers bar, delicious!

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Spouse and I enjoyed lunch ($19.00 each) in a nicely decorated atmosphere, super customer service, and very large and diversified selections to tempt your palate. We were too full for dessert, but they looked tasty. Meals are priced by day of the week, brunches/lunch/dinner. We ate only once there during our Peppermill stay, but will try other options next time.

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Today, I decided to try the Island Buffet for breakfast at about 9:30 this morning. Not one of my better decisions and overall, I don’t really know when, if ever, I will return.

Oh my where do we start? First, before I served myself any food, I did my “walk through” and surveyed all of the offerings so I could make my choices (this is my basic routine whenever I do a buffet). The first thing I noticed was how many stations were closed. Half of the dessert bar (including all ice cream) was not open or stocked. This is no great loss to me as I don’t partake in normal desserts. There were no sugar fee offerings in the desserts that were available (now this is a loss to me). Salad bar was closed, fruit area was about half full, and the area to the right of the center grill was closed as was everything to the left of the carving station. I understand this; however, it creates a very negative perception while funneling everyone to the same general area thus diminishing the experience on two levels.

For my choices, I went with a diced ham and scrambled egg, a small amount of corned beef hash (what can I say I really like that), some hash browns (the fried little triangles), two sausage links, and some gravy. The eggs were absolutely disgusting. There was something about the ham that just tasted completely awful and I couldn’t even finish them. I then grabbed four strawberries, three of the small, circular waffles, and some whipped cream. I proceeded to create my own strawberry waffles and while they were visually appealing, it was; unbelievably, even worse than the eggs.

First, the waffles were difficult to cut as they seemed under cooked. The strawberries were repulsive. I am typing this an hour after I ate and I cannot get the rancid taste out of my mouth.

This was just too much and I chose not to eat anything else. As I was leaving, I did tell a manager that while everyone was nice, the food was terrible. She told me I should have said something on my first bite and they would have “changed out everything” (her words). I believe they should do some of their own quality control as opposed to hoping a dissatisfied customer can find a manager (maybe having someone taste the food and replace what looks old for starters). I did suggest to her that she replace the strawberries (and I did warn a mother of two to stay away from them because of how nasty they were).

Good:
The cashier was very pleasant. She did not process the transactions very quickly (my guess is that is more an indicator of the software systems they use as opposed to her skill set). That said, her kind hearted personality (I wish I got her name; however, her long, curly black hair obscured her name tag) made it easy to overlook the timing of the transaction. The hosts who greeted and seated me were also kind and outgoing. My server was attentive and kept smiling. The staff definitely exceeded the food. As for the food, the fresh hash was flavorful, hash browns mentally took me back to my cruise last fall, and I enjoyed the sausage.

Bad:
Everything else

Recommendation:
I don’t do buffets that often, and my advice is if you are going to spend this much (with my locals discount, it was just short of $15 before tip) on a breakfast buffet; you are probably better off going to Toucan Charlie’s at the Atlantis (you will pay a little more; however, the food is always fresh, well-seasoned, there are ALWAYS sugar free dessert options, and it doesn’t feel like 30-40% of the stations are closed). For the same money you can have a VASTLY superior meal at any Peg’s Glorified Ham and Eggs. Of course, those are two different reviews for different days

Been to Island Buffet? Share your experiences!