“Reno on a budget.”

Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Reno
San Ramon, California
“Reno on a budget.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel while on vacation. Room average and clean. Original Mel's Diner was awesome for breakfast. If you are not looking for the spa experience good place to stay. If you are looking for the all-inclusive spa experience, you are better off staying at another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kehgonzalez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I noticed the last entry regarding bed bugs was from 2010, and the response was that they take these issues seriously, and have since replaced all mattresses... We checked in on July 17th with a group of friends, 4 or 5 rooms. We not only had bed bugs, we were infested with them. Spotted at least 50. Called the front desk, they sent security to inspect, and within a minute of being there, she captured 3 of them. Mind you, there was at least 10 crawling all over the bed at that exact moment. We filed a report and were told the manager would contact us on Tuesday. Here it is, 2 weeks later, calling every day and not a single response. This place is a dump. Not only was our 'vacation' absolutely ruined... ending your vacation having to sort through every individual item of clothing, and dealing with multiple welts and bites was ridiculous. Even more ridiculous that we have still yet to be in contact with management. Not even an apology?

• Stayed July 2013
12 Thank KLuders
SandsRegency, Public Relations Manager at The Sands Regency Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
We are sorry to read that you had an unpleasant stay with us. Has anyone contacted you regarding your issues? If not, please send us an email at sandsreno@gmail.com with your contact information so we can discuss these issues with you further.

Travellers are raving about these Reno hotels

Reviewed 31 July 2013

As soon as I walked in this property to check in I was greeted with a smile. Had two rooms booked through Hotwire, they were already assigned to connecting rooms on a high floor with a great view of the city and mountains! Rooms were clean and large. Every employee and dealer I came across was friendly and gave great service. Will stay again and suggest to anyone. Unfortunately I lost my money each time I played Blackjack but I had a great time and overall a great stay. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank SkyyHighLiving
Eureka, California
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I booked a room at the Sands through a popular travel web site, purely on price, so I suspected what I was getting into.

The room was something of a dichotomy- it was in good general repair, but not well kept up.
Let me explain... the paint on the walls, the furniture, etc, looked like it had been upgraded in the not too distant past.
However, there were smudges on the wallpaper no one had bothered to clean..
There were fingerprints on the window no one had bothered to clean.
There was a, uh, stain on the carpet that appeared to the untrained eye to be, um... "male reproductive effluent" which I cordoned off with the wastebasket.
There was mildew all over the bathroom wallpaper, and a filthy dust caked bathroom vent (c'mon, 20 seconds with a sponge and bleach solution once a week was too much?).
The shower curtain had a few small holes - it was adequate, but right at the end of it's life.

The bed and sheets were clean with no signs of tiny livestock (hooray!)

Another note I did not care for; the hotel has a "no firearms even for valid permit holders on the premises" policy. So criminals who do not care about the signs can carry, but those of us who have concealed carry permits cannot have a lawfully possessed firearm in their room?
I obeyed the policy - but do not respect it.

The in-room air conditioner was overly loud, and for some reason had a short "cycle"... it was on for only 4-5 minutes, off for only 4-5 minutes. All. Night. Long. I'm from a cool climate, so had trouble tolerating not having it on... but it was more annoying than it needed to be.

The on-premises Buffet upstairs:
In general it was an average buffet (this was "asian" night). It did have friendly staff, and a few outstanding items. I don't know who "invented" that red-velvet-cheesecake-layered-with-chocolate-cake, but I'd like to give them a hug. A manly hug, of not more than a couple seconds, but a hug. After a long day of driving, that piece of cake was quite a nice topper.

Would I stay there again? At the price I paid, yes. At so much as a couple dollars more? Probably not. Not unless I could inspect the room before checking in.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank PaulFeist
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Let me first start off by saying that I love, love, love The Sands! Seriously. Love. It. Now let me say that it's one of the cheaper places to stay in Reno for a reason. The Sands will give you a spacious, clean room with a comfy bed, excellent service from their housekeeping, front desk and casino staff, and reasonably priced restaurants on site with good food. Sounds freaking awesome, right? It is. BUT...The Sands will also give you loud, drunk people in the casino and in the hallways outside your room. Not every time, but sometimes. It will also give you loud A/C units in your room. The casino has somewhat of a gritty feel to it, which kind of appeals to me, but some people might want a classy joint when they get out of town. OK, fine...go to Grand Sierra Resort. I feel like if you really want to experience Reno for what it is (because let's face it, Reno is not a classy town), you should stay at The Sands. I mean, it feels old-school, but the rooms are modern and comfortable enough. Are there flat screens in the standard rooms? No. Who needs them? We're not watching T.V. anyway! We're gambling and drinking!! I love that I can get a room that doesn't break the bank. I love that I can get a good martini and delicious food at Copa or just have breakfast or a burger at Mel's. I love that they don't charge a "resort fee". I don't love the loud pool parties, but hey, they end at 10 anyway. No problem. The Sands, baby, it's real old-school Reno and even though I have stayed at just about every hotel/casino in Reno, I actually prefer The Sands. It's kind of like me...unpretentious, comfortable, cheap and a little ironic. Yeah...it is what it is.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vicgould
Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

this is the only hotel that we stayed in in 2 weeks that had no coffee machine, no fridge or microwave. Extreme noises in halways keeping you from sleeping and no recompense for the discomfort. The security guard whistles at the top of his lungs in the middle of the night in the hallways and when you complain, the words go in one ear and out the other.
NEVER AGAIN WILL WE STAY AT THIS "wonderful" HOTEL

Room Tip: Find a different hotel any other one would be better
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NSardy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at the Sands in July 2012 and Again this July 2013. I am very impressed with the friendly staff and the cleanliness of the Hotel and Rooms.The pricing was great! 200.00 for 4 nights! what a great deal! I will continue to stay at the sands every time I visit Reno

Room Tip: Its best to Book a room through the Hotel website
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo