New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Western Village Inn & Casino

Western Village Inn & Casino
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
San Francisco, California
“Little jewel of a hotel/casino”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recently had to stay in Reno over a long weekend to attend a concert Downtown. With a Jazz Festival going on at the Univ, all the large hotels we had previously stayed at were booked. A friend recommended Western Village and I can't imagine staying anywhere else now.

I'm currently awaiting hip surgery so have limited mobility and really appreciated the smaller property and casino with just a few dozen steps between them across the parking lot. We were picked up at the airport, shuttled Downtown and to the Nugget in Sparks and back to the airport, easy breezy!

Our room was much larger than most regular rooms, two huge and extremely comfy queen beds, brand new rugs and furniture with flat screen TV, refrig. and coffee maker. Bathroom was a good size as well. We opted for a Marina view.

The casino itself was just right, very clean and easy to navigate. We ate at the main restaurant for breakfast and the meals we got were very tasty, I'm prone to order omelettes on vacation and the two I choose were great, Denver and Italian. Service was excellent. We also purchased carrott cake twice (from the Deli) to eat in the room and it was some of the best we've ever eaten and not skimpy pieces either.

I like the slots and they were plentiful and very loose, My friend frequents the Sports book and it's a pretty good size but hot huge.I haven't had such good luck in many trips previously to Las Vegas, it;s nice to bring home $$$.

The only negative I could come up with was because the freeway is very close by, the noise all night was rather loud, (I had actually thought it was the road construction being done in the area). Maybe it was just the way the wind was blowing......otherwise, everything was perfect.

Room Tip: Away from the Marina/freeway if traffic noise at night bothers you.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

As a local I only go to the western when family wants to meet up there. I gamble at other places in town and I can definately tell the difference with the machines at the western. You can easily filter thru 200.00 on penny machines within an hour and never see a bonus. Plan on going home and stripping down if u don't smoke because everything will reek of smoke after just a short time there. They have no VIP hosts to help you with anything and unless your diamond they could care less about you... Best part is you have to "be invited" to reach diamond level when any other casino bases your tier level off of your play. There are plenty of nice places to stay and game in Reno. This smokey cheap money hungry place is not one of them. Save your time, money and your lungs!

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Smjarj
Palm Bay, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Don't'' Go to this casino I got accused of being a prostitute for no go reason I'm a paralegal and was there hanging out with my girlfriend! I asked them who accused me and exactly what it was a said an the security refused to tell me any information!
they just told me I had to get off the property. as usual the security officers were fat dumb and happy. Who the hell do they think they are? I make more money in week then they do in a month, the legal way! I flagged down a police officer and he treated me like I was trash!! Reno is NOT a good place to visit as they obviously treat a typical patron like they are trash. it is no wonder they are going bankrupt! they treat a normal customer like this! I am going to take them to court. at the highest level. if I were you, Reno would be the last place I would visit.

Room Tip: Go some where else reno is a joke!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank illy7777
Carleton Place, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

We do not stay in motels very often, but our Motor home broke down and was spending time at Freightliner. A trucking couple advised us to try Western Village. They were shuttled from Freightliner to the Motel and then back the next day. We had a car, so drove the few miles over. The reception is in the Casino, so is loud and smokey, but the receptionist was very friendly and quick. She gave us some coupons, including a $5 off each night. We only took the room for one night, because at this point we didn't know how long the repairs would take. It ended up we checked in again the next night and used the $5 off each night we stayed. When you check in they add $50 to your bill and it is refunded to your card within a few days after your check out. The room was very clean, the king sized bed very comfortable. The window opens, which is nice...there is music playing outside all day, but it wasn't annoying...I enjoyed it. Our window looked out at Sparks Marina Park and lake...very nice view. There is a fridge in the room but no microwave...I asked for one, but they didn't have one to give us. There is a washer ($1.50) and dryer ($1.00). We are not gamblers, so didn't go into the Casino very often. There was no smoke smell in our room. I got out for a walk around the lake each day...probably about 2 miles. The Ladies who cleaned the rooms were super...giving us extra coffee for the coffee makers, pillows and blankets. I think they were even trying to get us a microwave. Legends Outlets is on the other side of Sparks Marina Lake...an easy bike ride or long walk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JudyandRonAdventures
CenCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Reviews and opinions are the same thing. Here is mine. Needed a Thursday night room prior to our Fri-Sun stay at the Nugget. We pulled into the Western Village and parked in the casino lot. Arrived around 3pm and found the Hotel registration desk with no problem. Only 2 people in front and took less than 10 minutes to check in. Asked for a lakeview room and got it on the first floor. The young gal that checked us in did a great job. The lakeview was right outside our window. The parking lot is between the hotel and the lake. I liked that I could park our car right outside our room window. We spent the afternoon playing penny keno machines. Not loose, but not tight. Played a long time on my $20 bucks. Had a couple Crown and Coors for the price of a dollar beer. Went to the Steak house to eat. It was an excellent cut of prime rib with all the fixins. With a glass of wine it was $63.00 plus tip for the 2 of us.

Room Tip: Ground floor and lakeview
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank woodagboxer
South Lake Tahoe, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

If you're a smoker and a gambler with no children, this might be the place for you. This is NOT a place for families. It reeks of cigarette smoke. After standing in line for almost a half hour in the stinky casino, I tried to cancel when I got to the top of the line but it was too late. I hoped that, since the rooms were separate from the casino, they might be better. My son and I went across the carpark and were greeted by a dead bird on the sidewalk, swarmed by insects. Once inside, the smell of smoke hit us again, with an overflowing ashtray of butts right by the elevator. We got to the "non-smoking" room - peee ewww". We signed on for internet access, only to find that you have to pay for each "device" - it's not roomwide. We quickly got online and booked a room at the Grand Sierra Resort -- and got out of dodge. Best decision we made! GSR a great place to stay and only 10-20 bucks a night more! Save yourself the misery and don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SLTTraveler
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

We were recently in Sparks for a Senior softball tournament. We were promised clean, comfortable rooms and were not disappointed! We were also impressed with the fabulous food at the Marina Cafe and Pancho & Willies! What a great asset to be able to eat every meal without leaving the premises! And not only was the food fabulous, the prices were equally so! The 99 cent margaritas at P&W's were the best!! We will definitely stay here again! Another bonus was the free shuttle service to the Legends Factory Outlet Mall and to downtown Reno, not to mention to & from the airport. We found this to be very convenient!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Marina. Nice view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SoftballJunkie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
4.1 km away
Nugget Casino Resort
Nugget Casino Resort
#2 of 17 in Sparks
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,430 reviews

Been to Western Village Inn & Casino? Share your experiences!