“WONDERFUL STAY AT HISTORIC (HAUNTED) SILVER QUEEN”
Review of Silver Queen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virginia City
Silver Queen Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
Reviewed 23 May 2017

My fiance and I stayed 2 nights in room 19 during May 2017. We walked into the saloon below and checked in with a lady. She was very kind and was very patient as I asked her questions pertaining to the city, the hotel, and the ghosts that occupy Silver Queen. She was happy to point out the orbs in the chapel that's located in the saloon. Also pointed out the books that sit on the bar that contains photos of ghostly apparitions caught by other guests, as well as orbs. Also met James, the "pistol packing preacher" and he was awsome!
We went to our room (19) and it was beautiful and had high ceilings and windows that let the sunshine pour in, creating a beautiful ambiance. I did not feel scared like I thought I would have, because of the ghost stories I had heard prior to booking. I am a Ghost Adventures fan, and was aware of them filming at the location.
First night, around 2 am, I heard heavy bootsteps walking on hardwood floors right outside my room. The hotel is carpeted so I thought this was strange.That went on for about 20 minutes. My doorknob rattled as if someone was trying to get in, but that only lasted about 3 seconds. The second night, the adjoining room next to us had a few bangs and movements despite the fact there was no one in there. That lasted about 10 minutes and all was still afterward. The morning we left, I took pictures of my room and the hallways and received a few pictures with orbs.
My suggestions for staying at the Silver Queen and Virginia City: We stayed on a wed and thursday night so it wasnt loud outside. They make a point to not be loud after 10 pm. I think it was still because it was a week night and not the weekend. Be sure to eat pretty early, as restaurants shut down pretty early from what I have read and experiened. Red Dog Saloon was open around 8 pm and thats when we ate. The pizza is good, and the meatball sandwich is even better. My fiance ate chicken wings but became sick afterwards, so I would double think that option. Red Dog was a wonderful place to go. Another great place was a bar across the street that served wonderful paninis and soups. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of the place.
Silver Queen offers hot dogs and chili that I read were out of this world, although we did not have a chance to eat them. If you have problems climbing stairs then I would make a point to book a room on the second floor. The first floor is the saloon, and then there are 2 other floors for guests. You can enter the entrance in the back and avoid the long and steep staircase that's in the front. We just pulled the car around back and took our bags in that way. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. I would definitely go back!!
And one more thing- This is a historic hotel and looks as such. When you walk in, it will be like you have stepped back in time to the 1870's. That's why I chose it, and because of this, it's a bit rustic. The furniture is older and the bedding is as well. The beds are comfortable, the sheets are clean and the water is hot!! We had new carpeting in room 19. I can't speak for any other room. Loved it loved it!! We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 19 was amazing
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank erikak1724

Reviewed 21 April 2017

The mattresses were as old as the hotel, which made us think that the silver miners must have brought them in on their wagons. Stayed during a hot late summer night in 2016, with no A/C, no air circulation and no sleep. Not upset about the paper thin walls as it was expected due to the age of the hotel. One more item; rooms are small. Had to move the bed in order to fully open the door.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank stokesjd
Reviewed 22 February 2017

Not kidding when they say best Bloody Mary in town. Cool little spot with historic feel. Fun time. Would recommend for the historic value alone. The silver dollar dress is awesome. Had a great time learning the history of this place and the town.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank richbend70
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

If you are traveling to Virginia City for a touch of historic charm and authenticity - this could be your place. We loved it. Historic hotel with a historic saloon.

The Silver Queen is quoted in a book referencing a newspaper article in 1875.... "Gobey and Keely's Saloon, on the main floor of the Molinelli Hotel, boasted the “finest billiard room in the state” and a “Barber Shop … attached to the saloon.” It featured brandies, wines, liquors, and cigars."

The saloon is still great. Fantastic folk (many local, at least in November) and a great tender. The hotel is a little less authentic (thank goodness - the bathrooms are in the room now), but clearly not a comfort stay by any means. While considered haunted, we were mostly haunted by guests arriving back after 2 AM and very loudly continuing their party in various rooms. If not for the sign on the hotel door asking guests to take their party outside after 10 PM, I would have skipped this comment as an unlucky night for sleep.

If you want to take a trip back in time and can chill out over slightly less than modern expectations, I think this place is worth your time. We hope to return!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brad J
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Having seen the photos online, I was fully prepared for an "old school" hotel experience. I was not prepared for a total flophouse. If we hadn't arrived at 10pm, I wouldn't have stayed the night. We stayed in room 12, the "bridal room" with the claw foot tub. The tub had no faucet, only a wonky shower head attachment, which made it nearly impossible to use. (There was no shower.) The carpet was dirty and stained. The furniture was mostly chipped, beat-up 1970s and 1980s trash. All of the lighting fixtures had blue-hued, industrial fluorescent bulbs, which made it feel like the world's dirtiest operating room (not romantic at all). The transom windows were covered up with construction paper. The wallpaper was flaking off. Worst of all, the heater was no match for the 16' ceilings, making it a very cold night (under a comforter that looked like it came out of a K-mart bag in 1995 and hadn't been washed since). As for it being haunted, I think the ghosts were like "this place is depressing, I'm going to a saloon down the street." My boyfriend and I lamented that even minor fixes would make the place doable: 1) swap out bulbs, add some lamps for ambiance 2) replace carpeting 3) replace furniture with period-appropriate antiques 4) add bedside outlets because even travelers wanting an old school experience need to charge their phones 5) put plexi over the old wallpaper so people can enjoy it but not deal with the flakes 6) fix tub 7) new bedding and 8) paint. Good bones but what a waste. All in all, I recommend checking out Virginia City (although the racist products in some of the shop windows are shocking) as a day trip. Stay in a "real" hotel in Reno. That's what we did for our second night and in comparison, it was HEAVEN.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abenn
Reviewed 5 November 2016

We went over Halloween to hunt for ghosts, stayed in room 15. The owner is AWESOME one of the coolest people we have met. The maid for our room was very nice met her during check in did a great job, The room is old, but it is a historical building and should be old, everything worked. There are lots of narrow, steep stairs but we only went up to sleep. If you are looking to go back in time and have an adventure this place is great, and Halloween is a blast.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the first two floors do it
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick L
Reviewed 1 November 2016

We'd seen the reviews and were familiar with the location, so we didn't have expectations of a modern luxury hotel.
The Rooms - We were looking for a clean bed and shower within walking distance of good times at a reasonable price. We didn't spend much time in the rooms #23 & #24 on the third floor next to each other but not adjoining. The quote from Mark Twain on the back of all the doors "The walls are so thin you can hear her change her mind" is accurate. I believe these are probably the smallest rooms but they served their purpose just fine. You really can't beat $55.00/per room including tax.
The Staff - Honest and helpful.
The Ambiance - Dusty, painted over, added on, out of square and tacked together. Pure Virginia City!
Wanna feel like you're sneaking out or being a little naughty? If you are nimble and not afraid of heights, exit and enter via the fire escape through the big window at the end of 3rd story hallway onto B street, it's easier then the stairs down to C street.

Room Tip: Room 23 and 24 are very small, but functional. They do not have an outside window.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2.2 km away
Gold Hill Hotel
Gold Hill Hotel
#2 of 5 in Virginia City

Been to Silver Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!