All reviewswedding chapelthe ownerin towndoor knobmy fiancesteep staircasestreet parkingred dog saloontook picturesno elevatorrooms are smallopera househistoric hotelbar downstairselvis impersonatorhear everythingthursday night
Reviewed June 19, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this "haunted" hotel for the adventure and it was. The hotel is old, run down and a little dingy --but still fun. We were told our room was next door to the most haunted room in the hotel, separated from ours only by a wall with a painted over window near the ceiling. But we didn't see any ghosts-- only ghost hunters on their nightly tour in the hallway. The bar downstairs had live entertainment but everything was quiet after about 10 pm so we got a good night's sleep. Our shower was tiny but the towels were new and fluffy. Our 2nd story room was small but we didn't have to climb the steep steps because there was direct access to the second floor from the rear of the hotel. All in all, it was a fun way to experience Virginia City. However, we're sure it was a "once in a lifetime" thing!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Florida-IaTraveler
Reviewed June 12, 2017 via mobile

We walked into the bar area and wow a real step back in time but that's where it ends. The room was tired, shabby and falls well short of authenticity, more like a 70's time warp. We opted for the room with the 100 mile view which as it turns out was the same as the car park over the road ! We could count the springs in the mattress as each one dug into various parts of our bodies. Blood stains on the carpet were a bit off putting. The housekeeper had the cheek to leave an envelope for her tip, that remained empty !Also lack of places to put stuff, the room was minimal, a lamp would have been a good idea. Very dissappointed.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela B
Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

Passing through on motorcycle, I stopped for a beer before continuing north. After meeting Clint (the hotel's Elvis entertainer), Connie(owner) and Karen and Eric(bartenders etc..) I fell in love with this hotel, town and all the wonderful people I met. I stayed for 2 nights in a cozy room with 15ft ceilings. The hotel is steeped in history. The possibility of it being haunted adds to it's charm. Great food and drinks!! I found it hard to leave and can't wait to return for a longer stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Scott T
Reviewed May 23, 2017

My fiance and I stayed 2 nights in room 19 during May 2017. We walked into the saloon below and checked in with a lady. She was very kind and was very patient as I asked her questions pertaining to the city, the hotel, and the ghosts that occupy Silver Queen. She was happy to point out the orbs in the chapel that's located in the saloon. Also pointed out the books that sit on the bar that contains photos of ghostly apparitions caught by other guests, as well as orbs. Also met James, the "pistol packing preacher" and he was awsome!
We went to our room (19) and it was beautiful and had high ceilings and windows that let the sunshine pour in, creating a beautiful ambiance. I did not feel scared like I thought I would have, because of the ghost stories I had heard prior to booking. I am a Ghost Adventures fan, and was aware of them filming at the location.
First night, around 2 am, I heard heavy bootsteps walking on hardwood floors right outside my room. The hotel is carpeted so I thought this was strange.That went on for about 20 minutes. My doorknob rattled as if someone was trying to get in, but that only lasted about 3 seconds. The second night, the adjoining room next to us had a few bangs and movements despite the fact there was no one in there. That lasted about 10 minutes and all was still afterward. The morning we left, I took pictures of my room and the hallways and received a few pictures with orbs.
My suggestions for staying at the Silver Queen and Virginia City: We stayed on a wed and thursday night so it wasnt loud outside. They make a point to not be loud after 10 pm. I think it was still because it was a week night and not the weekend. Be sure to eat pretty early, as restaurants shut down pretty early from what I have read and experiened. Red Dog Saloon was open around 8 pm and thats when we ate. The pizza is good, and the meatball sandwich is even better. My fiance ate chicken wings but became sick afterwards, so I would double think that option. Red Dog was a wonderful place to go. Another great place was a bar across the street that served wonderful paninis and soups. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of the place.
Silver Queen offers hot dogs and chili that I read were out of this world, although we did not have a chance to eat them. If you have problems climbing stairs then I would make a point to book a room on the second floor. The first floor is the saloon, and then there are 2 other floors for guests. You can enter the entrance in the back and avoid the long and steep staircase that's in the front. We just pulled the car around back and took our bags in that way. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. I would definitely go back!!
And one more thing- This is a historic hotel and looks as such. When you walk in, it will be like you have stepped back in time to the 1870's. That's why I chose it, and because of this, it's a bit rustic. The furniture is older and the bedding is as well. The beds are comfortable, the sheets are clean and the water is hot!! We had new carpeting in room 19. I can't speak for any other room. Loved it loved it!! We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 19 was amazing
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank erikak1724
Reviewed April 21, 2017

The mattresses were as old as the hotel, which made us think that the silver miners must have brought them in on their wagons. Stayed during a hot late summer night in 2016, with no A/C, no air circulation and no sleep. Not upset about the paper thin walls as it was expected due to the age of the hotel. One more item; rooms are small. Had to move the bed in order to fully open the door.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends