“What a surprise! Excellent!”

Canoe Restaurant and Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Canoe Restaurant and Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 46 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

Five of us enjoyed a terrific dinner at Canoe on 9/8. Every single dish was truly superb. We started with the cheese board and Kobi beef pops (different, juicy and delicious); I had the sea bass on rissoto cake -probably the best sea bass I've ever had; another diner had the black and blue filet which he raved about; a third had the special ribs with cole slaw (this 93-year old grandma said it was the best cole slaw she'd ever tasted!); the fourth diner had the Kobi burger, which he loved; and the fifth had filet oscar - also outstanding. Deserts were amazing, especially the fried Oreos and the Creme Brule. The Canoe's website is absolutely horrible - you are sent to the parent company and it is nearly impossible to find Canoe and bring up the menu. So we really arrived blind - not knowing what to expect. Fortunately, the meal was the best we've had in the area in a long time! Kudos also to our server, Justin, who was very attentive and moved the meal along at a nice pace. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Nicely redone Bugaboo Creek good service, nice date night place.
Same owner of the Canoe up in Center Harbor which has been a favorite for years.

Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

Canoe Restaurant and Tavern – Bedford, NH – 8/8/2016

I have to be completely honest… It took a leap of faith for me to come here this evening… Looking at the reviews normally I would run the other way but something said to me this evening; roll the dice… It's just not possible for any one place to be this horrible… Sometimes there are other factors which affect reviews that go beyond what we see and being the foodie that I am, I must say I had to find out for myself what was going on here…If you follow my reviews online you'll see that I am honest and thorough in my reviews… My goal, to improve the dining experience one review at a time...

So I made my reservation online and upon arrival was greeted by a lovely hosted who brought me to my table… My server this evening; Jacci (pronounced Jackie) was super friendly and and perfect for my style of dining… Knows the menu and made some nice recommendations...

This restaurant is part of the Magic Foods Restaurant Group and is one of their six restaurants… Very country… Very NaHampsha with its honey wooden beamed ceilings, wood trim thruout… Tables and booths in varying shades of Browns... Each table nicely set with brown cloth napkin table service… There is a beautiful wooden bar as you walk in and a couple of stone fireplaces that must roar during colder days…

They have Saratoga Sparkling bottled water here!

The bread, a sliced Baguette, is served warm in a white paper bag… Nice touch! Accompanied by house whipped butter of the day… The butter dujour… A Cranberry-Lime whipped… Almost mousse-like in consistency and delicious!

Lobstah and Corn Chowdah… Rich chunks of Lobstah meat with Roasted Corn and chunks of Potato… A light dusting of freshly ground black pepper and I was in heaven… Rich in flavour and creamy to the touch…

Mixed Greens… “Lil Cousins” Balsamic Vinaigrette, Toasted Sunflower Seeds, Sandwich Creamery Aged Cheddar, Dried Figs… Very nice!

Filet Oscar… An 8 Oz Filet topped with chunks of Lobstah, Hollandaise, Asparagus… And the accompanying side…, the Pork Belly Baked Beans… Different than the traditional soupy baked beans rather beans served with Pulled Pork in the bowl… The Asparagus nicely blanched prior preparing because every bit of it was good from top to bottom... The filet, a wonderful cut of the primest of prime meats, cooked to a perfect warm pink center medium was delicious although next time I would pass on the garlic demiglaze.

And no meal would be complete without my signature Cappuccino! A nice tall cappuccino served in a glass mug with a nice big head on it… Yum!

All in all a great dining experience… From the setting, the service to the food both in creativity and preparation… I recommend you go out on a limb like I did and come here. Like me, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! I will come here again!

1  Thank BuyfromPaul
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

Very good & attentive service, but food was unexceptional. Fried green tomato appetizer was tasteless & salad greens could have been fresher & crisper. My husband says his hamburger was good. Expensive for an ordinary meal.

1  Thank mortes
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

This was definitely a dinner evening to talk about. The food was delicious and our waitress Rosemary was pleasant and attentive to our needs. We have recommended this restaurant to many of our friends. Our out of town guests were very impressed with the many choices available on the menu. It was by far one of the best restaurants we've visited recently.