“Excellent Accomodations in Dover, NH”

Silver Fountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We arrived late (after 9pm) on a Saturday night. We called ahead and the owner, Susan, made provisions for our late arrival. We went straight to our 3rd floor room when we arrived. The amenities provided were a nice change/upgrade from what we would expect from a similiarly priced hotel room. Free bottles of springwater and sodas stocked in a fridge in the living room. Ice was also available in the fridge. Our room had a very comfortable queen size bed. Extra pillows were found in bottom of the entertainment amoire. After a restful nights sleep in the tastefully yet simply decorated room we headed down to the veranda for a delicious breakfast. Breakfast featured freshly made fruit cocktail, homemade raspberry muffins, plenty of fresh, hot coffee, and juice. I had an omlette made with tomatoes from the inns own garden, baby spinich and feta. The omlette was accompied by crispy bacon and a lightly toasted english muffin. My wife had the strawberry french toast special. Service was friendly and excellent. If the weather is good I would recommend you dine before nine to make sure you will have a table on the veranda. We will be staying next year during the airshow at Pease.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Silver Fountain Inn

Reviewed 28 August 2010

We loved this bed and breakfast. Susan greeted us very warmly when we arrived in the evening and recommended a good restaurant to us. (We followed her advice and had an enjoyable meal at the Chop House downtown Dover.) The B&B is magnificent! It's so well cared for and obviously loved by the owner. Pride of place shows through. Our bed was so comfortable that I'd return just for that reason alone! Excellent quality sheets and soft pillow top mattress. It was a treat to get such a good night's sleep. We had an excellent breakfast on the porch the next morning. I had a crab quiche that had homegrown tomatoes in it, and we enjoyed fresh muffins and fruit cup. It was lovely. The young woman who did waitress duty was charming and sweet.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

This inn was absolutely beautiful! I stayed there for a wedding with the bridal party. We reserved the Dorothy Brown room which easily sleeps 4 as well as the the Silk room which had satin wall treatments and was very romantic. The next night I stayed in the Rise room which is a smaller room on the third floor, but again, wad beautiful. The beds are all extremely comfortable, breakfast is amazing, and there is fridge full of beverages if you ever get thirsty! This Inn is also a great bargain for the area. My research indicated that it is approximately $50 cheaper than the Days Inn as well ad the Hampton Inn. I look forward to returning. I absolutely adore New England

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed at the Silver Fountain Inn while visiting Portsmouth, and were delighted with that decision. Innkeeper Susan's professional decorating background is evident in this beautifully restored Inn. We stayed in the Bellamy room and loved the luxury linens and spotless surroundings. Breakfast, with a choice of entrees is excellent. Little touches, such as an available fridge, cookies, etc., made our visit memorable. We would definitely return to this great B and B.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

What a delight to stay in such a lovely and well-cared for house. The owner is so kind and anxious to make you feel comfortable in this elegant home. The photos capture the look, but don't do enough to express how wonderful it is to stay here. I found myself gasping as I admired the beautiful details and impeccable decor around every corner. I had the rose room and I almost don't want you to know about it because then you'll book it and it might not be empty when I want to go back. Relaxing by the parlor fireplace, snacking in the dining room or enjoying the wide selection of books, magazines, music and videos offered at the inn, made this a peaceful and enjoyable place for a quiet weekend away. Plus a wonderful assortment of teas and tempting cookies are there whenever you want them. Breakfast is no hassle, but made to order fresh baked muffins, savory omelets and delicious fruit salads served in the sunny formal dining room. It was so hard to leave the pleasant luxury of the Silver Fountain Inn, but upon venturing out, I found the town of Dover to be full of interesting shops to wander through and great antiquing and many different casual restaurants. I imagine it would be nice to walk around and admire the river and the old mill in the summer time, but it's still a great place for a winter weekend getaway - very convenient to Portsmouth and Boston. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We had The Silk Room, it was large and comfortable with a bit of street noise, and a great bathroom as long as you love claw footed tubs (and I do). Over the top decor and comfortable bed, good quality linens. In walking distance to most of what you want to see in Dover. The breakfast was wonderful, service a little patchy, but nothing too terrible. All in all a good choice, if you are a picky sleeper choose a room at the back of the house away from the street.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

All I can say is, "what a great place". We stayed here 2 nights while attending a football game at UNH and visiting with family. Susan is a terrific host. Her home is beautiful and inviting. It is in fabulous condition and those who love the charm and elegance of an old home will be so impressed with this one. My favorite feature was the center staircase. Breakfast was delicious with a varied selection and the cookies on the piano were to die for! The bed was very comfortable. Rooms vary in size... we had one with a small bathroom that had just a shower but no big deal, there are some rooms with large baths with tubs. I would absolutely stay here again. Dover and nearby Durham are both nice towns with very friendly people and the great city of Portsmouth is just up the road, filled with great shopping and the nightlife was hopping.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
0.6 km away
3.6 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover
3.2 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover

Been to Silver Fountain Inn? Share your experiences!