“Good food and warm atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 49 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Decatur, Georgia
“Good food and warm atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Good soups and good bread make for good lunches. We had two meals here while visiting Exeter on cold windy days so the warm, relaxed atmosphere of the cafe was very welcome. They offered a good choice of soups and several kinds of fesh-baked breads. We would certainly go there again fro breakfast or lunch.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Grahambk

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Service has really improved at Me and Ollies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

The Me and Ollies in Exeter used to have terrible service but seems to have improved measurably. The staff are friendly and efficient and the coffees and food are delicious. The best part is that you can sit and relax, read, or visit with friends and you never feel as though they want you to give up your spot. It's such a contrast from The Green Bean down the street.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank 2dtrav
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“Good food, BAD service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

Due to convenient location I visit here often. The bagels, bread, soups, and sandwiches are very good. Initially I received pretty good service here, but the last two times were quite disappointing. First, my bagel with cream cheese took about 10 minutes when there were only two people sitting inside. I think my order was forgotten which I know happens.

The second time the cashier heard my name wrong. They were calling out an order and nobody was claiming it. Finally as I walked over to check (because it was a long wait again) she said "ugh there you are!" and kind of slid the basket to us. I told her I never heard my name and she said, "oh I thought you said Dan." *mind you I'm clearly a female.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back but it's tough to get past that attitude.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank littletravellottafun
Tokyo, Japan
“Good paninis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

This was my first time having paninis with fresh bread, not the days-old, store-bought crap most places have. I got mine with egg, turkey and cheddar cheese on cheddar (or was it just "cheese"?)-garlic bread. My boyfriend got egg, tomato and cheese on triple seed bread.

Since the paninis were halved, we each ate one half, then traded. I liked both breads. I noticed that even though we both got cheese, I had almost twice as much cheese as he did, contributing perhaps to the "heavy taste" that he thought mine had. I wasn't crazy about the egg, since it wasn't like a fried egg (where you could see the egg white and yolk), but the uniformly-yellow, uniformly thick, sponge-like rectangular thing that you get at Dunkin Donuts and other chain eateries.

Still, I loved my panini and chai, which came out at drinking temperature (I always burn my tongue on hot drinks). The flip side to that, I guess, was that
by the time I was toward the end, it was cold. But I'm a slow drinker, so that may have contributed to it.

I also liked the mural painted on the side wall, with a brief illustrated story of how the bakery operates. It was bright and cheery, and a happy thing to see first thing in the morning.

My boyfriend was fine, though, so I don't know if it was just my own body's inability to digest, oh, I don't know, cheese. But full disclosure--I got the runs a little while later, but that may have been because the amount of oil from the cheese *and* the cheesy bread was more than my body could handle (it does that sometimes.) Too much info? Maybe, but as a good citizen, I thought you should know.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kokoskote
New Hampshire
“I keep going... and I keep trying to like it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Me and Ollies is convenient, as its really the only coffee-pastry shop in Exeter other than Dunkin Donuts, so I keep going to get my chai teas here on a semi-regular basis. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but they have a good selection of teas that keep me coming back... despite the horrific service that is the only consistent thing about this place. They seem to either be massively over-staffed or drastically under-staffed.. sometimes there will be a line to the door and just one poor teenager trying to steam lattes and toast bagels as fast as she can.
They have a lot of good offerings, but these characteristics can quickly get overshadowed by the bad attitudes of the staff.

1 Thank AllaPrima0