“Excellent! Best beach at a Gilford resort!”

Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at Misty Harbor. We rented a one bedroom (yes, as a previous reviewer wrote- it is stretching the idea of a bedroom a bit). We had unit 112 which is across the street from the beach. The unit was perfect for 2 people. We had a bed with a perfect mattress and the kitchenette had everything, including a dishwasher. In previous yrs. we rented a unit in the very back bldg., facing the pool which we thought was furnished much nicer- but we were pleased with what we got for the price. They really do have the best beach on that side of the lake. Other family members were also there, and not one of the 5 children were bored- they just wanted to play at the beach!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights for a concert at Meadowbrook....which as far as location goes, was very very convenient, but unfortunately that's where the good news ends. The room was kind of skanky, and the bed (I use that term loosely) was nothing short of horrible. It was a Murphy bed that folds up into the wall, and it has a slim, rock-hard mattress that is by far the MOST uncomfortable thing I've EVER attempted to sleep on......with taxes our 1 Bedroom Suite came to $216 per night...WAY WAY WAY too much money for the level of accommodations here.......this place should be priced in the $50 - $75 range at best......we will NEVER EVER stay here agin.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I was in town to ski at Gunstock for one day and was going to stay here for two nights. I arrived at 7pm and took one of the non-suite rooms. I moved all my stuff into the room and headed out to dinner at Patrick's Pub (great place up the street). I got back at 8:30pm just in time to have a dip in the indoor pool; nice. But this is where the niceties ended. At 9pm I returned to my room. I had some work to do on my computer as this trip was part business and part pleasure. There was no sign of wireless internet at this place and no plug in place in the room. So I left the internet out of my work. While I was working I figured I'd turn on the tv and catch one of the college basketball games. No tv; although it was plugged in it wouldn't turn on either from the remote or manually. Once discovering that I now had no tv and no internet I looked around the room for a book on the motel that could give me some advice on either operating the tv or for a wireless internet address for this hotel. Nothing; no book. That left the phone. I had been advised by the girl at the desk at check-in that the office closes at 9pm. On my phone, however, there was a number to call for emergencies. I called it and got an answering service that couldn't help with any of these issues. I was told to check with the desk in the morning.
Well, after one night in this place I knew I wouldn't be returning so it didn't matter anyway. About 50% of the lights in my room did not turn on, including the light over the mirror in the bathroom. The mattress was painfully uncomfortable as were the pillows; I started the next day with a headache. And, as others have said, the clerk could care less; she should take an acting class so that at least her 'sorry, there's an electrical problem here that they haven't figured out' line would have been more convincing.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2008

The two-bedroom suite was a joke. There was one bedroom, and there was a queen-size bed in the living room. Did the “divider” make it a room? In addition to being old, the mattresses were of poor quality. I’ve never stayed in a place where you could see through the sheets to the mattress. That’s right, not only were the sheets threadbare neither mattress had a mattress cover. My neck is still sore. There were two television sets and they were touching each other.

We were staying at the resort to attend a wedding that began at 3:00. When I called to see if we could check in early, I was told there would be a $25 charge to check in at 1:00 instead of 4:00. Actually, we were lucky that we didn’t opt for the early check-in because my sister sat in one of the outdoor chairs which had been drenched and her clothes were soaked.

I sent this information to the resort, they did not respond.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I was hesitant to stay at the hotel due to the reviews I have read, but as we were going to see a concert at Meadowbrook I figured I would give it a try. What a mistake. The convenience to Meadowbrook was great, but there are 2 other hotels on the same street, at least one is as close. We should have stayed at one of those places. I booked a one bedroom suite for $195. There is a full bedroom, living room, bathroom, and kitchen. The bedroom and living room are separated by a flimsy, plastic accordion divider, leaving 1.5 ft between the bed and "door". The bed was terrible. I slept with a spring in my side the entire night and every time one of us moved the bed squeaked. The sleeper sofa was unusable. When it was laid upon the "bed" sank at least 6 inches. Unbelievable! For $200, the bed was uncomfortable, and someone had to sleep on a couch. I expect these kind of issues at a Motel 6 or 8 ($80/night), but for the amount of money paid, it is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately the concert did not end early enough (and we did not discover the sofa problem until after the concert) for us to make the 2 hour trip home, or change rooms.

The staff consists of high school students. When I spoke with the front desk attendant about the problems, she said she would write a note about the room. Also while we were talking about it, she took 3 phone calls.

I strongly recommend finding somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fox_8
Reviewed 24 June 2008

Me and two friends just got back from our stay at Misty Harbor for Bike Week. I am so happy I didn't let the bad reviews on this and other sites get me down. This place was perfect and we already said is where we will be staying next year for Bike Week. We had a one bedroom suite. Not on the lakeside, but didn't care a bit. The room was more than adequate and comfortable. It was clean and had a living room, bedroom, full kitchen and bathroom. As for the comments about a rude staff, I didn't encounter any of them. All were pleasant and helpful and our room received the housekeeping service every day and considering the fact that the resort was pretty much booked entirely due to bike week, I think they did a great job. We even attended the Brooks and Dunn concert at Meadowbrook and it was awesoem to leave the bikes parked at the resort, walk through a path in the trees and be there. No fighting traffic. I don't know what other reviewers who gave such awful reviews were expecting and maybe they truly didn't have a great stay, but I can't think of one thing to complain about. Even though the price was hefty and required a 4 night stay, it was very competive with surronding locations (I called around) and in fact, the best value considering the amenities you get both at the resort and in the room and to stay 3 miles from Weirs Beach where all the action was, I didn't expect to pay much less and hey, its Bike Week. Like I said, we'll be there again next year. A really great time and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank hazydazy8
Reviewed 24 August 2007

What was I thinking? I have always relied on Trip Advisor for reviews of hotels and have almost always found the reviews to be very accurate. This time, I ignored the warnings and booked a room at the Misty Harbor because we were going to a concert at Meadowbrook on August 18, so thought this would be very convenient and didn't believe it could be as bad as some of the reviews indicated. I was wrong.

When we arrived, there were two young women behind the front desk and several of their friends eating in the lobby. The place smelled, but we chalked it up to the food being eaten on the sofas nearby.

When we got to our room, my husband and I tried to overlook the obvious problems and put on a happy face, saying "well, it's only for two nights." We quickly unloaded our luggage and went for dinner. When we returned, we took a closer look and realized what an awful situation we were in.

The carpets were filthy.

The linoleum floor was filthy & sticky. It was also lifting and curling at the edges in every area of the bathroom. I'm not talking about a little lifting - it was curling out by several inches in all directions.

The room did have a refrigerator as promised, but the ice tray / freezer hadn't been defrosted in several months, so it could not be used.

The dinette table was sticky and dirty.

The lights were so dim that you couldn't even read a newspaper in the room. But, on the bright side (no pun intended), it made it impossible to see just how dirty the place really was.

The electrical outlet on the wall above the TV had no cover, so wires were exposed.

When I tried to call reception to request another room, I got a recording saying that the office closed at 9:00 p.m.

When I called the next morning to get more towels (we only had 2 plus 2 washcloths and 1 hand towel), I was told some would be sent right over. About 45 minutes later, my husband went to the front desk and asked about the towels. He also asked about getting another room because the one we were in was filthy. The woman behind the desk said she had no other rooms and said she had asked housekeeping to bring the towels over 40 minutes ago and would call them. When she called and reminded them, whatever their response was caused her to laugh. My husband told her to just forget the towels, that we would be checking out.

On the way back to the room, he ran into a young man who was also staying at the hotel, and asked him if his room was acceptable. The man said his was also dirty and he would not bring his family there under any circumstances. (He was there with a bunch of guys for the race.)

I don't usually write such a long review, but I think it's important that if you are considering this place, you have enough information to know what a dump it really is. The sad part is that these things were easily remedied in a weekend - clean the carpets, fix the linoleum, fresh paint, new lightbulbs / fix the lights, repair the outlets, defrost the freezer. The fact that these things are not done indicates to me that the owners / management don't care what people think of their experience. They clearly don't rely on repeat business. That is their choice to do business that way, but take a close look at all of the reviews of this place before you make the choice to book a room there.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2guppies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
5.9 km away
3.5 km away
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#4 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!