“Worst place ever!”

Stone Gable Inn
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Don't go there!

Dirty bathroom, smelly room, smoke detector barely hanging, mouse poops, mouse itself, stains on bedsheet, unprofessional, aggressive staff, needs painting, cleaning and to be taken down.

Don't go there! All our story below.

1. Light wasn't working in the first and second room that we had. Just small bed lamps were working.
2. At 2 am in the night we were weaken up because of the noise and we discovered that there is mouse in our room living in a fridge.
3. I walked down to reception to report it immediately. Porter was talking to me wearing just underwear and barely zipped shirt.
4. I told him everything but he couldn't think of any solution. Finally he told that we can change a room. In the middle of the night!
5. I told him to take the fridge away and that we will expect discount or refund - he said "Of course" and to come in the morning to talk with his aunt.
6. During our talk my wife caught mouse in a trash bin closing it inside with a towel. I walked down again to told porter to remove a trash bin.
7. I found out that he fallen asleep in a chair and when he woke up he said: "You caught a mouse? Good, I will take it in the morning." I told him to do it immediately and walked to the room. It took him next few minutes to come upstairs one floor. He entered room without any word. He entered without wearing trousers, just in underwear in front of my wife! Finally he took a trash bin, leaving it outside till the morning with our towel. He didn't give us new towel. He didn't apologize at all!
9. In the morning during check out we wanted to get discount or refund for what happened. Lady (aunt of night-porter) said that there is no way of getting any discount and she can't do anything because she is not an owner. We asked how we can reach owner - she replied the he is going to be at the motel around 5 pm. Than we asked for a phone number to the owner - she gave us a general number to motel. We wanted to call him but lady said he had dialysis and is sleeping right now. We asked again if he is going to be at the motel this day - she said "No" this time (so she lied at first)! She didn't want to give name of the owner. She was aggressive, unprofessional, trying to make us feel bad because of giving us "bigger" room and we should pay more. We told her that paying 216 US dollars for these conditions is unacceptable so she shouted that we should pay more! She said that they are closing motel in 3 weeks anyway, when she couldn't think of any more excuse she said crossing her arms that she is not going to talk with us (just like a little kid).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Maciej W

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Stayed at that hotel,rooms were clean,owner was polite,no change of towels i guess you need to ask, the last night a party was going on next room until 3 am did not appreciate that at all.The lock on the door could be changed for something more secure,,,to resume you pay for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

We booked a room here walked into the room and there was old spoiled milk in the bathroom. Trash everywhere and dirty sheets. Tried to get a refund but they only gave up another room. This new room was a little bit cleaner but had some kind of pills all over the floor and what looked like poop on the towels. Needless to say we just took the lose and left. I would rather go to jail then spend a night there.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2016

Because the Best Western down the street had no availability - at least until I declined their up-sell of a suite for a ridiculous $250.00 night - we traveled about a half a mile to the Stone Gable Inn for a room at $89.

Yes, this is your classic "roach motel" but it was clean. The gentleman at the front desk was kind and informative. he honored our request for a ground level room. Despite the age of the building, the wood floor in the bathroom of our room looked very new. The TV, microwave and refrigerator all worked. No mold or mildew in the bathroom. FREE Wifi helped with making further ravel plans on the internet. The lock on the door is really bad though!

My review might be more generous than by other members for this hotel - and it's definitely, NO resort, but if you're looking for a place to put your head down for the night in a pinch and have no where else to go, you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

We booked a room on booking.com, when we went to check in they tried to charge us a different rate. When my husband asked why she got rude and defensive. She argued to the point he had to walk out and she came RUNNING out after him!!! She was horribly rude to the point we had to walk away and cancel, and find another place last minute with our two young children. Place was a dump, needs to be shut down. Never again! Don't even think about staying here!!! Don't do it!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Booked for a single night. Room not ready at 4 PM. Bathroom filthy-black ring in toilet and on floor around toilet prior to cleaning and not much better after. Still dirt on sink. shower curtain soiled for 6 In at bottom. Missing a light bulb and fixture over bed for reading. Broken frig replaced with new model. Dings in wall-needed repainting. Reeked of cigarette smoke. If I wasn't tired would have left. Sheets on bed were clean. towels clean. Informed management and seems they have problems managing due to health issues. Bad place to stay.

Room Tip: Not here. Find another place.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2016

PART 1: My wife and I, along with my granddaughter ( age 5 ) checked into the room at 8:30 last night, Saturday. I don't know where to begin, what I do know is if my granddaughter was not exhausted and needed to sleep, I would have never stayed. The place was completely disgusting. It was 89 degrees when we arrived - the ac unit did not work, would run but condenser did not kick in, the filter on it had never been cleaned, it was so gross - the doors have no dead bolt, had to use a chair to lock the door. The walls throughout were filthy, place smelled like cigarettes! I decided I would speak with them in the am before I left about our complete dissatisfaction.

PART II: We couldn't get out of this place fast enough in the am. Once I strapped my granddaughter in the car seat, I walked into the office to discuss my concerns. The foreign women behind the counter was watching the news on her cell phone ( the office is as disgusting as the rooms ). I had to ask her to shut off her phone so I could talk with her ( I wanted her to hear what I had to say ) I covered every square inch of how 50% reduction in the rate I payed and that would still be too much. Explained that the AC did not work, no lock on the door, place was filthy, etc. Get ready for this, and I swear to god on the life of my kids that this is what she said - " Shaking her head she said she would not discount anything and that " the people of this "country" are no good! I just about lost it - I couldn't believe what I had just heard, so I had to repeat to her what she had just said to confirm, and she said yes, "they are no good" I told her that people of America have standards and if she feels that way why does she have a business in this country. I told her that I would be contacting the department of health along with the attorney generals office with hopes that this place either closes or cleans up their act. WIsh they would sell out to an American and go back to their country! DONT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family