“Nice stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Southern New Hampshire
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed at the Best Western for one night in april 2012. I booked it from Priceline at a very good rate (about half of the online rate directly through the hotel website). We called the hotel directly to request a king room and a back room. At check in we were given the king room, but were told that there were no more back view rooms. We were disappointed about this since we had called to request it.
The room was recently updated and was very nice and clean. The bed was fairly comfortable. The hallways did have a stale ciggarette smoke smell, but the room itself smelled fine.
Check out was easy and quick.
Overall a nice stay and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room so you don't face the highway and also on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caseybum
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time, to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and will be looking forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
New Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I traveled to Keene to visit our son. We were first undecided as to whether we wanted to stay in town at the Marriot or a short drive away at the Best Western. The deciding factor was that the Best Western had a free breakfast and was less expensive. I was totally pleased with our decision!!! The free breakfast was fabulous, hot and healthy choices, not just doughnuts and fruit loops! The lobby was beautiful, as was the fitness room and pool. The attached pub had a great selection of beers, the potato skin nachos were delicious, and the music was good.
Overall we were very pleased! It was only a short, easy drive to town.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Plus of Keene. We pride ourselves on providing the best overnight accommodations in the Keene area, it is always gratifying to hear our guests agree. We are also happy to hear you took advantage of the full, hot breakfast we offer every morning, and our on-site restaurant Waxy O' Connors. Thank you for your terrific review, see you soon.
Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I travel a lot and have experienced the highs and lows of hotel accommodations. After finding that my usual hotel was booked, I decided to stay at the Sovereign. What a disaster. With the exception of the friendly desk-clerk who assisted me in finding someone to unlock my car door [keys locked in during a major snow storm, no less] I was dreadfully disappointed with my accommodations. When I first opened the door to my room I noticed an odor but couldn't place it. I set down my bags and did a quick once-around the room. It was dark in the room even with the lights on [energy saving bulbs] so I didn't see all the grime until the following morning upon opening the curtain. However, mold was visible on the walls of the bathroom; the bathtub was stained, deeply scratched, and appeared so dirty that I didn't take my usual evening bath. There was a spider and spider web in the corner of the bathroom over the light bar as well. The following morning, as I said, I opened the curtain and witnessed even more grime.

There were stains on the leather computer chair which clearly had not been dusted in some time; dirt, crumbs, and dust on the carpet outside the "traffic pattern;" dust and stains on the lamp shades; dust on all the furniture on most "lower" surfaces [what the eye doesn't usually see first]; and stains on two pillow cases and the sheets.

I went to the front desk before checking out and requested to see the manager to let him/her know that the room needed more than a surface cleaning. I was told that the head housekeeper would be down in a few minutes. About fifteen minutes later, the owner/manager, head housekeeper, and two housekeepers who apparently clean that hallway stormed into the room demanding to see what I was complaining about.

When I went to the front desk I was VERY calm and non-confrontational. That is my personality. However, by the time the group left the room I was angry and red-faced, though I managed to hold my tongue. The manager tore a stained pillow case off one of the pillows and held it in front of me and, with an accusing tone, said, "I have been manager here and owned this property for seven years and NEVER had a problem like this. You must have done this." The head housekeeper looked at my head and said, "He's right. You have black hair. It must be hair dye. These linens pass through three people before being placed on the beds. It was you. See? The towel is still damp." [I'd just showered, of course it was damp.] The manager/owner ordered the head housekeeper to put the case in an envelope and "ship to the la-bor-a-toreee" to determine that the stain was hair dye and so that he could charge me for linens.

Why would I go to the front desk to complain about stained linens and a dirty room if I was the one who caused the problem? Of course, it is always POSSIBLE that something in my dyed hair reacted with something in the linens. In which case, I would want to know what is used to clean them since I have NEVER had this problem before in all my years of dyed hair mixed with traveling [or at home either. Note that I also use white towels at home].

My frustration with the group was the accusatory tone in which they addressed me. Instead of acknowledging and apologizing for the dirty room, the focus was turned upon me and the fact that I have dyed hair.

It should be noted that I did not request a refund on my room. In fact, my comment was that, if anything, I would appreciate a discount or comp'd room at a later date in an effort to maintain my relationship with the company and my rewards account. However, based upon the response of the management and staff [who, by the way, were deriding me later in the hallway all the while not realizing that I understand the language they were speaking] I will not be returning to this hotel; do not, nor will I, recommend it to anyone in the future.

Part of me hopes that the manager finds hair dye in the pillow case and tries to collect damages because I will be happy to face him in small claims court for the stress he and his staff caused in me at the time and for the remainder of the day/night - along with the pictures I have of the grime and mold present in the room.

As I said, I travel a lot and have experienced the highs and lows of hotel accommodations. This is, most definitely, a new low.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MaMaRedPen
LI, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

This was my first and last visit to this Best Western. We booked here because the rates were much lower than in Brattleboro and the online reviews were good. Checked in Sunday afternoon and my requests for a non pet room was honored and checking was quick. Went to dinner at the restaurant next store. After dinner, my daughter went back to the room and I stayed to watch the NFC playoff game. My daughter went to the pool. Upon entering the pool, she found the water at the bottom to be murkey and contained clumps of hair. Another woman there complained to her that she had stepped on a screw on the bottom of the pool . My daughter hastily leapt out of the pool and returned to our room for a shower. However, she has to clean the shower herself before it could be used. I learned of all this after returning to the room. Upon going to check the state of the shower, I also took a look at the toilet, which had algae growing in it. Clearly, our room had not been cleaned in some time. I advised my daughter to sleep on top of the blankets as God knows if/when the sheets had been changed. We spent a restless night hoping there were no bedbugs in the bed. Thank goodness there werent. At about 1:30 in the morning, a drunken former employee of the hotel ran down the hallway knocking on all the doors and explaining how she had worked at the hotel for 7 years. All in all, this stay was a nghtmare from begining to end. Oh, and at breakfast the next morning we overheard employees talking about the poor condition the pool was in and how someone should do something. We asked to speak to the manager upon checkout but he wasnt there. We were told he would contact us. He hasnt. Could be based on other reviews that our experience was a fluke but I wouldnt bet on it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank billsreef
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to convey your views. We welcome your constructive feedback to help us to deliver the best service for our guests.I am very disappointed to read that you did not have a satisfactory experience during your stay. After our personal conversation I hope you decide to choose the Best Western Plus on your next visit to Keene.
Surfside, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Trying to impress that girl you met the other day on Craigslist or perhaps the grocery store cutie who just dumped her second husband? Well, look no further than this great place! When you look for the word value in the travel books, you'll find this place prominently featured. Clean,comfortable, and king size beds to boot! The staff was great and the free breakfast wasn't just continental style grub you find at a B&B. The indoor pool was awesome until the two mom's and five kids showed up. But that's cool because the room had a great tub and plenty of hot water. We ventured down to the Waxy O'Connors but alas, we're not that young anymore and the band was a bit loud for our tastes. It did look like the "in" place for Keene, NH, though. You can bet I'll be back here. It's convenient to some great outdoors fun. And if it's too cold, it's the kind of place for some good indoor fun. If you know what I mean!

Room Tip: We stayed on the opposite end of the pool and bar. It was quiet! Though, it was a bit of a hike to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such an effectual review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our full hot breakfast we provide each morning. Again, we thank you for the review and will be happy to greet you upon your return.
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

AAA rate $79 Sunday night with King bed microwave refrigerator and of course coffee maker
Great front desk staff Charlie his name going out of the way to make customers happy!
Nothing is better than a heated pool in New England January!
Nice warm breakfast!
In walking distance to major restaurant area but the hotel area is not noisy at all.
The only set back is the furniture in room is pretty dusty. That's why I gave it an "average". I didn't mind that much though. I dusted it myself no biggie.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SWildC
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write such spectacular review. It is also great to hear you had a chance to use our indoor heated pool. We are not only in close proximity to many restaurants, we have our very own Irish Pub Waxy O' Connors located inside the hotel. Hope to see you again soon.
West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

My wife and I went to the New Years Eve party. Best decision. Starting with the room, comfortable and very clean. From the super soft pillows and plenty of them, to the comforter, felt like a cloud, slept like a baby. I even liked the pictures on the walls and how the room was equiped. The band was excellent with 9 pieces for a great sound. The hotel is well located on the beaten path yet still felt out out of the way. The staff seemed to enoy their job, very helpful and well groomed. The food was excellent, the shrimp was very tasty and not small either. The full breakfast the next morning was a great touch. The restaurant is one you should make as a destination. Great Irish flare with the best food to match. I go there often. They have big TV's for when I am watching the sports to a more inimate setting as well. You can not go wrong and are well advised to make this Best Western a regular stop.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan F
KTBESTWESTERN, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We are glad you had the chance to attend our annual New Years Eve party. It is also nice to hear you had the chance to enjoy the amenities we offer with each nights stay. We will see you again soon at our brand new Irish Restaurant Waxy O Connors, or the next time you have the opportunity to stay at the Best Western.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
1.8 km away
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
21.4 km away
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
1.0 km away
Days Inn Keene NH
Days Inn Keene NH
#5 of 6 in Keene

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel? Share your experiences!