New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Beaverton, Oregon
“Outstanding - Best in Manchester - Must for Baseball Fans!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

This Hilton Garden Inn is nothing short of fantastic and will be my choice on my future visits to this area. I have stayed at a number of other hotels in and around the MHT airport and city, and - by far - this one is the best and just blew me away.

You just can't beat the location - the hotel is effectively right on top of the NH FIsher Cats baseball stadium and baseball fans would love being able to watch the game out of their room. Also next to the river and far removed from I-293 so you don't get any traffic noise. It's not really near any restaurants but you could easily walk to the small downtown or the Verizon arena.

Besides being the most modern hotel in Manchester, with large rooms and very quiet, I was really impressed by the service at the front desk.

I checked in on Christmas night and was offered a complimentary dinner, a plate of stuffed chicken, potatoes and vegetables and dessert - for free. In my thousands of hotel nights I have never been offered anything more than a bottle of water - of course it was because of the holiday but still it was extremely impressive.

Parking is free and plentiful - so is wifi and they have a nice business center. Didn't get to eat at the restaurant but the decor and atmosphere was very inviting.

You can see my other reviews for some of the hotels in the area (Springhill Suites, Holiday Inn, Homewood Suites) but HGI is clearly the best one by a longshot if you are in this area!

Room Tip: If you are a baseball fan, definitely spend the extra and get a room facing the stadium.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank hotelreviewer333
hgimanch, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Wow! Your review is very generous, thank you so much for taking the time to recognize us so kindly! We truly appreciate all comments and it is wonderful to hear that we have exceeded your expectations. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Hotel is right next to the baseball field. Service was great! Location is very central to the downtown Manchester area.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for rooms on the baseball side of the hotel. Other side has good views of downtown i...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind review, we know you have many choices when choosing a hotel in Manchester and we are delighted that we met your expecttions. Take care.
Holliston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed here for our 35th anniversary. We had tickets to the Boston Pops at the Verizon Center. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They arranged for their shuttle to take us to the Verizon Center and gave us a card to call when we wanted to return. I must have mentioned that it was our anniversary when I booked the room, because they wished us a Happy Anniversary when we arrived. We had a delicious breakfast the next morning. There is a huge buffet or you can get things cooked to your liking. They were offering a 3-cheese omelet and other items made to order. The room looked directly over the outfield of the Fisher Cats with a huge window and the shuttle driver told us you just turn the radio to a certain station and can hear the game. The front of the building was stunning. The entire front yard (and it is huge) was decorated in white lights. There is lots of public space to sit around with friends or just to get out of your room. I thought the building was built this year, but they told me it was about 5 years old. We would absolutely stay here again for any reason.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trans54
Palm Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

WE stayed at this property a few years ago when it was new, and it is nice to see that it has been kept up- rooms are clean and comfortable. Jeff at the front desk upon check in was very pleasant and professional even though we were a "walk in" .Ladies at breakfast very nice-

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hgimanch, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Thank you for your kind words, we really appreciate your taking the time to recognize our employees, specifically Jeff at the Front Desk. I am glad you found the hotel to still be in top notch condition as we strive to exceed guests' expectations. We hope to see you again.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is a really nice HGI. I had a great time. The cable TV is the best I have EVER seen at any hotel of any kind anywhere in the world. They had a ridiculous amount of channels and even far more than my home.

The hotel is situated in the outfield of the Manchester Fisher Cats baseball team's stadium. Had a room that overlooked the field. Yeah, season is long over, but it was an amazing view of a real nice ballpark. The pool in the hotel is a joke as I pretty sure my hotel room had almost double the square footage. They should call it what it is - an indoor sauna without jets. It is that small.

The shuttle driver (old guy named Fred or something) was top notch and real nice. Offerred to drive to local restaurants and made some great suggestions. The only problem is if you want a shuttle to get back on Sat or Sun mornings before nine or so. No shuttle then. I would suggest they put limited times or something on their website. Kind of sucks to find out the next morning that you'll be unexpectedly cabbing it back to the airport.

My room was really clean, neat and spacious. Awesome hotel and I would definitely keep this on the short list if I was to do a New England vacation with family.

No real complaints.

Room Tip: Of course you want a stadium room on the back of the hotel if they are playing baseball and you don...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SPGPlatTraveler
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your opinions about our hotel. It is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guest's expectations. Fred, our van driver, is truly an asset to our hotel and I will certainly pass along your praises to him. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

The hotel itself is nice, the public areas are nice and the patio at the back overlooking the stadium on a nice day is a really pleasant place to relax. The bar/restaurant on the patio is not open often, only for games as far as I could tell but you can still sit out there. The location is ok, a 10 minute walk onto the main street with bars and restaurants. The room was ok, clean but it had the worst view I have ever seen, a brick wall, it was sad we got this view as the hotel was less than half full and they gave us the worst view, never mind though you don’t spend time looking out your window anyway. The problem was the check in girl and the bar staff. On check in the assistant was on a personal call, we waited about 2 minutes when she put the phone on her shoulder and asked our name and for a credit card, this was the only thing she said as she checked us in continuing her personal call, she then passed back my credit card, room key and simply turned her back, I said thank you but got no reply, simply unbelievable. We went to the bar for a couple of drinks and ended up waiting an eternity between rounds, the bar staff kept going into the kitchen to chat as far as I could see but often sat with empty glasses waiting for the bar staff to return. We holiday in the US every year and one thing we have never been able to fault in any part of the US is the service, sadly this was nothing short of atrocious. As said the hotel was nice but the service needs some work to get it up to Hilton standard. I sent an email to the hotel and got the response, please try the hotel again so we can try and do better, erm no don’t think I will.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank moffica
hgimanch, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for posting a review about our hotel. I am sorry you weren't completely satisfied with your stay. We had previously tried to contact you about your stay but were unable to reach you.

It is our commitment to ensure your time with us is the best hotel experience you can have, and we are sorry we didn't live up to that this trip.
Dover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Use the directions provided on the website to find this gem not your GPS. I'm a Hilton Honors member and we received an upgrade to a king suite overlooking the ballpark--looking forward to a return visit when the Fisher Cats are playing. The room was spacious and comfortable. The Pavillion Restaurant was superb. Thank you to our bartender/server (so sorry I did not remember her name) for great recommendations for dinner. We had intended to go out for dinner but decided to stay in-great decision! The food was superb. Had the breakfast buffet the next morning--best eggs Benedict ever cooked to order. Homemade Hollandaise was excellent-Eggs Benedict made with ham instead of Canadian Bacon. Everyone at the hotel from front desk (Christine) to our bartender/server and morning hostess and server were great. We didn't use it, but they offer a free shuttle service within 5 mile radius.

Room Tip: Train tracks on the ballfield side and freight trains do go by but no problem.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple