“Great Relaxed Atmosphere”

Ranked #2 of 6 New London B&B and Inns
Cape Elizabeth
“Great Relaxed Atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have spent a ski weekend (Mt Sunapee) and three weekend events (Colby Sawyer College) at the New London Inn. Very friendly atmosphere, comfortable rooms and helpful staff. I love the old character and atmosphere of the inn. Perfect getaway for quality time with my daughter at Colby Sawyer College

Room Tip: I have been in 3 different room and all have been excellent
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I planned a romantic weekend with my boyfriend, and was completely satisfied with the convenience of its website which had deals on the stay

Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My son (12yo) and I stayed here the night before going to ski at Sunapee. It turned out to be very nice; friendly and helpful staff, excellent beds with fluffy comforters and pillows, and lots of character because of the very old building. The common areas are large and interesting. The rooms are plainly decorated but clean and neat, which is fine by me. The restaurant in the inn is excellent -- fine dining done well, and we got a $25 discount for staying at the inn which helped a lot.

The only negatives for me are that it's about 25 minutes from the ski slope, a bit longer than I'd like, and breakfast doesn't start til 8am (though they made coffee for us and gave us some coffee cakes when they saw us downstairs at 7 -- they really are nice). Since Sunapee opens at 8am, we wanted to get going early. For skiing, I'd probably pick somewhere closer, but otherwise: highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank garyo1
Fraser, MI
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My husband and I came across the Inn while passing through New London. We decided to stop in and check it out, as it looked very appealing and was in a great location. We were greeted by the staff who were very kind and welcoming. It was a last minute decision so they offered us a deal and we decided to stay. The Inn is very different from any commercial hotel you might stay at. It is very old and has undergone renovations but still has a very homey feel to it. You can make yourself right at home by utilizing the living room/gallery room with a fireplace and local art on display. We stayed in one of the Jacuzzi Suites with the hot tub in the bedroom--a nice plus! We also ate at the restaurant; Rockwell's at the Inn. The food was phenomenal and the service was very friendly and prompt. During our stay my husband and I also enjoyed a massage and the Faces Spa. Again, very kind and welcoming. The Inn is a great place to stay for a getaway, or a nice plus for business travelers.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Lumberville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I travel about 200 nights a year so I'm very used to hotels. Maybe I'm spoiled, or simply too used to Hampton Inns and Courtyard Expresses which have zero personality but are super new and spotless. This is an old inn, and it has charm. If that's what you're looking for it may be great for you. For me it was a bit of an inconvenience. I had a two room suite but both rooms were tiny, and there was only a tv in the sitting room which had only one, sort of uncomfortable love seat thing in it. So no good way to unwind and watch tv. Certainly I couldn't while in bed, which is what I like to do. And there was a public restroom right next to my room and every time someone used it I could hear most details of what went on in there. Other than that it was fine. Staff I ran into was nice, I'm assuming a student at the nearby college. Bed was comfortable and everything was clean. Still, it took me out of my comfort zone with the bad layout and the noisy bathroom.

Room Tip: Avoid Room No. 1 on the first floor unless you like to hear people going to the bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank CLLIII
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Stayed a couple of nights visiting friends in town and had a pleasant room in the Inn. Good bed, windows open to fresh air. Furnishings from another era,though more hand-me-downs then antique. Bathroom could use a renovation. A good desk for computer work would be helpful and a luggage rack for suitcase would seem a basic to any inn of this nature. Room could be re-freshed with new paint or wallpaper.Very attentive desk staff and most welcoming.

Complimentary hot breakfast was well attended to by service personnel and very good in comparison to other such buffets.
Evening meal in restaurant was excellent with many choices befitting such a nice town and country inn aspiring to be better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank RMN123
Boston
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The rooms of the Inn are in desperate need of a major renovation to bring the whole property up to the quality of the Inn's public areas that were redone in recent years. While the website shows a updated guest room, nearly all of the rooms in the Inn are very dated and suggest that their designer did not the least bit of experience in interior design or the hospitality industry. Their is no color coordination, furniture is mis-matched, and wall decor is very unappealing. The bathrooms that I saw were especially crude. The rooms need immediate soft goods and hard good renovation. As is, the room prices are overpriced by about 50%.

New London is no longer the backwater that it once was. The owners of the Inn need only drive 30 minutes north and walk through the Hanover Inn and the Six South Street Hotel to have an idea of regional hospitality standards. The New London Inn capitalizes on the building's history, its view of the green from the dining room and Mount Sunapee in the distance, and the ambiance of a small college town, but the discerning traveler would do well to avoid staying here until the owners get serious about the industry they are in.

Room Tip: Drive to Hanover.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2.4 km away
King Hill Inn
King Hill Inn
#3 of 6 in New London

Been to The New London Inn? Share your experiences!