“Spa needs work” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newbury
Boston, Massachusetts
“Spa needs work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I learned of Mountain Edge Resort and Spa by the Living Social deal. The deal was a discounted rate off the room with 50% off at the resort taverns, general store and best of all, the Spa!!! Making the reservations for room was fine but trying to make reservations for the spa seemed a bit more challenging. I was told by the Spa they were "pretty booked" and would have to call me back in a few days. I asked "pretty full, so that means you do have appointments?" Again the response was they would call me back. Well, I ended up calling them back in a few days to see about appointments at the spa. The spa had two massage appointments available on the day we arrived and a facial the following morning. I took what I could get. It seemed like they didn't want to honor multiple spa services at this amazing 50% deal.
Arrival day was on a Saturday. The accommodations were good and the tavern food was pub like food, nothing special. Everyone at the resort was pleasant. The place was clean and not crowded at all. I was called the night before from the spa to notify me if we wanted any other treatments they had a party cancel.
I was a bit disappointed with the spa. I've been to many spas for weekend getaways and this one needs a lot of work to really make it feel like a spa and relaxing atmosphere. When we first arrived at the spa we were greeting by a computer repair man that said "to go on in" we proceeded to a small ladies room/locker area and saw some robes and flip flops. We changed and there were no locks for the lockers so we carried them out to the "relaxation room" and then into treatment room. The furniture was old wicker and the lights weren't soft and inviting. I looked around the corner to see if there was any spa representative. Two ladies finally approached us and were pleasant and had us fill out some paper work. The actual treatment was fair at best for me. Not even close to massages I've had the past that had me completely relaxed in a coma like state. I was cold during the treatment and felt exposed. My mother on the other hand had a fabulous massage and facial. When it came time to check out of the spa the discount was applied and 20% gratuity was automatically added. I recall the website had prices that were cheaper than what was charged. When I questioned it the girl said the prices went up and she thought the website had been down. There were no other prices posted anywhere at the spa. When I got home I immediately went to the web site to check the pricing and it was down. Doesn’t compare to Cranwell Resort and Spa in Lenox or Church Landing in Meredith.
I would go back to resort but not the spa.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yogiRN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Found this resort through a Groupon deal and bought the 2 night package for my girlfriends birthday gift. We made the trek up on a Friday morning/afternoon and stayed through Sunday morning.

We found the staff very helpful and accommodating from helping to get the fire place working to giving recommendations on where to eat (besides the tavern and restaurant that are part of the resort.) The area is absolutely beautiful and I would love to head back there during the winter for ski season.

We hit up the General Store right after check-in. It's right on the property and has most everything you need. We picked up breakfast supplies and wine. There is plenty available and cost isn't bad but for a longer stay you might want to run to a full grocery store.

Dinner the first night was spent at the tavern. The food was good and it wasn't overly crowded. The service was excellent and I was happy to enjoy a Jack and Coke that actually had Jack that I could taste while being in a glass that held enough drink so that I wouldn't need to buy 5 to get a mild buzz. Cost was excellent, but then being from NY most everywhere else is cheaper when it comes to dining out. Of course we did burn through our $75 credit from Groupon.

We spent our Saturday morning making breakfast (battling the supplied in room electric griddle) while making some "add water" pancakes and then went up to the mountain lodge to hike to the summit. The hike was highly enjoyable and the weather was fantastic. There was still a bit of snow from the weekend earlier but the trail was manageable. We never made the summit as we had an appointment at the spa we wanted to be back for.

The spa was fantastic. The "couples" massage is a bit misleading as you are in separate rooms. I've never been to a spa for a massage before, let alone a couples massage, but I figured it would at least be a shared experience. I left the spa massage drunk so I'll say it was a good experience. I can't speak anymore on the massage itself but the staff was friendly, and comfortable to be around (made this nervous guy feel at ease). If we go back again we will certainly visit the as well. We didn't get to enjoy the pool hot tubs or sauna.

Our groupon deal had us in a 1 bedroom with den. This room appears to sleep 6 with the 2 pull out couches. The rooms were clean, has a kitchen stocked with ample cooking tools and the fireplace was a fantastic treat as the night got chilly. I'd expect an HDTV in at least the living space for the cost of these rooms per night. We found ourselves cozied up on the couch each night watching DVDs with our wine. I'd expect that for a longer stay with more people this space would be just fine. There are no doors separating the 2 additional pull out sofas so privacy might be an issue there.

Staying with a group for a weekend would be ideal for the price point. I think we'll definitely find ourselves back here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spatak
Hingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We visited Mountain Edge this past weekend, and had a fabulous time. it happened to coincide with the crazy early season snow storm!
The staff is warm and welcoming from the check in staff, to bartenders, wait staff,
to the General Manager. We arrived at 2:00pm, and were given our room right away even though check in wasn't until 4:00pm. Our room was an end/corner unit. It was spacious, comfortable and nicely appointed. It had a large, full kitchen, living room with tv/dvd player and balcony,den with desk and couch, large clean bathroom, bedroom with plenty of drawer space, a king sized comfortable bed and gorgeous mountain views. There was even a welcoming basket of juice, crackers and cheese, and other snack items waiting for us. The tavern was warm and inviting. Bartender Tom was right on with cold drinks, and Chef Paul makes the best pulled pork nachos around. You have to try them. Jim the General Manager was on hand to welcome us--very friendly and helfpul about things to do in the area, etc. The pool and hot tub was great, we were in the outdoor jacuzzi when the snow started to fall. It was really beautiful. Check out Digby's across the street, and say hi to Rochelle the bartender. Everyone was super friendly, we will be back for sure. This time with the whole family.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank southshore13
MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We visited this resort based on a coupon offer for two nights and resort dollars and we were not familiar with this property previously. We stayed mid-week and the resort was lightly occupied. The rooms and interior design are very well done and the quality of the room in terms of appointments and materials is impressive. The layout of the room we were in was well though out and made effective use of the space. Music is played in the hallways which is a nice touch but does bleed into a room a bit at night. This might bother a light sleeper.

The Spa area was inviting but the gym was surprisingly and disappointingly small for a resort. This situation would give me pause when deciding to return. There is a room off the lobby that is used for activities such as Yoga.

The staff was friendly upon arrival but overdid it a bit to the point that it felt strained. The warm welcome was nice but more important is how helpful the staff is. We were unable to get personal recommendations on restaurants in the area due to the newness of the staff (we were handed a book of menus which wasn't that helpful). We also had a situation where each night at around 4am we got a wake up call (which we did not request). We reported this the first morning after this happened and the staff claimed nothing was set. However, it happened again the next night and again the staff seemed unable to determine the cause.

A more troubling "rough edge" was the hotel running out of propane. My wife unfortunately found this out when showering. Clearly someone fell asleep at the wheel for this to happen. There was no warning (given the small number of guests it should have been easy to warn us of the situation) nor any notification of the status. It took a number of hours to get everything in order and the only explicit indication of progress was a large propane truck filling the parking lot with diesel fumes while refilling the tanks. The staff seemed totally flummoxed by this situation. Finally there were times during the evening when the front desk was unmanned.

Bottom line: great potential, excellent location, novice staff -- this resort has a ways to go to match the service level of many other attractive resorts in the northern New England area.

2 Thank CollegeParentsMA
Kittery, ME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We visited Mountain's Edge mid-week earlier in the month on the recommendation of some co-workers and we had a wonderful time. The resort is really lovely. The lobby is quite impressive and the rooms (we stayed in one of the lofts) are really nice. While I was conerned that the rooms might be noisy from the previous posters complaints about the road...the resort is on a road...which was not all that busy but it is also set quite far back from the road. We didn't notice any noise from the road, even when we were on our deck or out on the hammocks in the front of the hotel. we also didn't notice any noise from the hallways or from other rooms. We used the pools and visited the spa for a massage. we didn't have any trouble getting an appointment. the service was great and the prices were reasonable. The only trouble we had in our room was when one of the remotes did not work and the front desk brought us a new one right away. the front desk was also really helpful on tips of things to do in the area. We went hiking and swimming at the state park right near the resort. It was really a beautiful area. I'd recommend the hotel for couples or for families. We ate in both of the restaurants and the food was good at both locations. I'm pretty sure we'll be back for another visit or two this winter. We ski but have not tried Mt. Sunapee before---it is just up the road from the hotel so it would be the perfect spot for us once the snow flies. I look forward to our return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon G
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We went for a two night stay for our 20th anniversary (Aug 31- Sept 1, 2011). We arrived early, 2:30 with a check-in time of 4:00. No problem. The lovely girl at reception checked and our room was ready so we were checked in. While this was going on the manager happened by and we received a warm greeting from him. Both girls at reception were very friendly and welcoming. All in all we had a great stay and would go back again. The whole area is beautiful and a two hour dinner cruise on Lake Sunapee was excellent (recommended by the hotel staff). Room was spacious and very comfortable.

4 Thank Jake608
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

It's a great quite remote getaway. We did our research and prepared. We packed the car with groceries from shaws which wasn't far and cooked our meals in the convenient kitchen.
The indoor and outdoor pools are great. Relaxing overall. Cool cable channels. DVD and cd player. There is also a red box DVD rental at Shaws. Ppl should do their research before travel. I'd def stay again !!! [--]

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom