“need more bang for a buck”

Conway Scenic Railroad
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an old-fashioned railroading experience with all trains departing from an 1874 station in North Conway Village. Whether you choose one of the Valley Trains to Conway or Bartlett, or take the Notch Train through spectacular Crawford Notch, this is a journey back in time the whole family will enjoy. Valley Train Season: mid-April through December. Notch Train Season: late June through mid-October. Coach, First Class, and Dining Car options are available on all routes. Chilren under 4 ride free in Coach on the Valley Trains. Well-behaved dogs are always welcome.
Reviewed 8 February 2012

ride was fine but wish they had a better price for a family of 4. not too many coupons out there for the railroad need to have more

999 - 1,003 of 1,164 reviews

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We went on a scenic ride with the family. Enjoyed the old fashioned train ride and the beautiful scenes along the way. Very relaxing......

1  Thank alrl
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My boyfriend and I took the train on a whim while visiting the Bear Mountain Lodge. The boyfriend loves trains and the last time we had visited it was late at night. This time we were there during the day. The museum is really nice, and free. I commented that we should take a ride some time, and the next thing I knew I was being handed a ticket on the 1:30 Conway tour. It was 55 minutes round trip. The first half was narrated, the trip back was nice and quiet. We had seats in the double decker view car, but on the first level. This worked out to be a great advantage because we were the only two people on this level, so it was like having the car to ourselves. It also meant I never had to ride sitting backwards, which I have trouble with. Overall it was a nice experience and it was worth the price. And the man travelling through the cars checking on people was charming and funny. I would like to take a longer ride next time, I bet the scenery in the fall is wonderful.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I am torn on what to say about Conway Scenic Railroad. It wasn't the type of experience that enrages me and makes me want to cry out to never go, but it wasn't worth the money either. It is cool that the station is old, the museum inside was interesting (and free) and the staff were really sweet, but I didn't really see anything. We took the Conway tour, which was basically 20 minutes of viewing the back of all the hotels on the main drag and some seriously questionable backyards, followed by a stop to do an engine change over, and the exact same ride on the way back. We made the mistake of sitting on the side that doesn't see anything. Only the far side of the car when you walk onto it is the side that sees anything. In addition, their online booking system is TERRIBLE and they assigned us to a terrible car, even though we paid first class fare. Not all cars are created equal on this thing! Overall, I only ended up with like 2 good pictures. I would rather have spent the time doing something else.

1  Thank MollySheridan75
ConwayScenicRR, Manager at Conway Scenic Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

I have written to Molly to ask when she visited and also which of our First Class cars she rode in so that we can better address her comments in this review.

There has been considerable development along Routes 16/302 since Conway Scenic Railroad first began its operations in 1974. Much of that development has occurred along our tracks, especially on either end of North Conway and Conway villages, but the Conway excursion does break away from development to travel across rivers and through farm fields that offer sweeping mountain views in all directions.

I'm not sure what her expectations were, but we try to provide an old-fashioned railroading experience here, of which the scenery is just one component. We're really sorry that she was disappointed in her visit with us, but we do appreciate her the kind words re: our staff.

Susan Logan, Manager
Marketing & Events
Conway Scenic Railroad

Reviewed 30 December 2011

We went on the ride to Crawford Notch and Fabyan to see the fall colours. It was a good ride, with some very scenic bits. We went first class (but not the dome or food), and got some very comfortable seats. However, if you are likely to spend all your time in the observation car (no glass and seats sideways for better views), then it may not be worth paying extra. However, it was good for me since I don't like sitting sidewayhs as first class emptied...

There is a snack car onboard and in first class we got a complementary snack. There is a very entertaining onboard commentary for a large part of the trip. There is a break at Crawford Notch (shop, toilets, small exhibition, pretty lake and a chance to photograph the train) and if you're going to Fabyan, there's a stop there too as they move the engine round.

This is not a round trip, but was fun in the fall to see the colours, on an old fashioned (diesel) train.

If you are going to Crawford Notch etc, you need to park in the station yard, across the train tracks - this wasn't that easy to see and parking elsewhere for the length of time needed is difficult). Boarding is quite regimented - names called etc etc, but efficient.