“Comfortable, Convenient, and Spacious”

Spruce Moose Lodge and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Brought my family up for three nights. We stayed in the "Chief's Quarters" cottage. It was larger than some apartments I've lived in, and had I known there was room to sleep as many as 8 people, I would've invited friends. The cottage was clean, and came with everything we need (from coffee cups to kitchenware to towels, etc.). Wifi was ready to go and easy to connect. The owners were very friendly, and treated us like old friends. It made for a nice visit overall. One thing to note: if you want breakfast, only people staying in the main lodge have that included with their room. Those of us in the cottages need to look elsewhere. (The cottages - or at least ours - has a full kitchen, and so that makes getting your own breakfast easier.) Also, there is a coffee shop just down the street - within walking distance - that provides another option for breakfast. I'd definitely recommend staying here. I saw another review here titled "Horrible" and after reading it, I can't help but think that some people shouldn't travel. It's a cottage. Sorta like a cabin. In a relatively small town in NH. Set your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: Guests in the main lodge get breakfast - cottage guests find their own.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Our host Nellie greeted us in a lovely friendly manner and I was looking forward to our three nights here but it was evident on approaching Pierce Cottage that standards weren't the best.

The steps to the cottage hadn't been swept in a very long time with cobwebs around the door and a filthy outside doormat. The guttering around the cottage was full of weeds and clearly blocked. Peeling paint could be observed on the bedroom window. Things weren't looking great and my opinion wasn't changed on entering the cottage.

The stale smell was most likely coming from the dirty carpet at the entrance to the property and (as on the outside) the doormat on the carpet was revolting. The sofa was in an equally poor and grubby condition. The cushions were flat and uncomfortable and the sofa needs replacing. The kitchen area is equally in need of updating and\or replacing. The oven is old and filthy and the utensils, including the pots and pans, had to be washed before they could be used. There was also a smell of gas coming from the oven whenever a hob was turned on. The trash bin to the side of the fridge was broken and the lid wouldn't stay closed. The only way we could keep it closed was to put one of the two dog bowls that were stored on the top of the fridge on to the top of the bin. What two dog bowls were doing on a fridge in the first place I don't know.

The state of the bathroom continued the woeful experience. The standard of décor is awful and I would think it was decorated by a five year old judging by the standard of the painting. The wash basin was again in need of replacing showing chipped and dirty enamel with a tap that was loose. I desperately tried not to touch the shower curtain.

The bedroom continued in the same vain. I would like to think that the sheets had been laundered prior to our visit but they certainly hadn't been ironed. Given the age of the sheets though I'd guess they'd fall apart even if they were ironed. The bed had a mattress foam topper on it that should have been thrown away a long time ago. Working in the polyurethane foam industry I feel qualified to comment on the quality of the topper along with the quality of the cushions in the sofa; to say they are below standard is an understatement.

Behind the front door is a broom. On seeing the broom it was evident as to why the front steps hadn't been swept. Disgusting.

The cottage is full of cheap and tacky knick knacks including a dog lamp and dog air freshener in the bathroom which is frankly the most hideous thing I've ever seen. The pictures of dogs and dog wallpaper doesn't add at all to the ambience of the cottage in the least.

I think the general lack of standards and care in this cottage is demonstrated by the inclusion of Christmas decorations on the wall and a Christmas mat at the front of the fridge. I'm not sure whether they are still there from last Christmas or put there in preparation for this coming Christmas. Either way, they shouldn't be there.

On the afternoon prior to our departure Nellie called at the cottage to see if everything was ok. I could have voiced my dissatisfaction then but I had to make myself scarce as I feared I may say something inappropriate. If we had spoken about the property it wouldn't have changed my opinion of the place or altered what I would put in this review.

I only experienced Pierce Cottage so it would be unfair to comment on the other rooms or cottages. My only advice would be is that if you have booked here and you find out you have been allocated this particular cottage; cancel the booking.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ray P
Nellie F, Owner at Spruce Moose Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

We were very saddened to read this review. Obviously this guest wasn't very happy.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

We arrived at the Spruce Moose Lodge after several days of camping on Lake Umbagog and couldn't have felt more welcome. Traveling with a dog can be challenging. Even some "pet friendly" B&Bs really aren't. But the owners of Spruce Moose seemed genuinely delighted to have a 46-pound cattle dog hanging around. We stayed in one of the "Jacuzzi cabins" and while the weather was a bit too warm for us to crave a hot soak, we plan to return in the fall to enjoy the tub properly.

The bed was perfect. Breakfast was delicious. And the location couldn't have been more convenient. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

We wanted to do some x-country skiing and saw the reviews for this inn. The owners are great and the rooms are clean and nice.
The breakfast was so good we lingered longer than normal. Lots of help on where to go and what to do in the area. We skied at Bear Notch in Bartlett. If you love x-country the trails at BN are groomed and the food is great there too.
We will come again next year!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2017

I've been to the Spruce Moose a few times now while visiting the Mt. Washington area and I have to say it has been a wonderful experience each time. Owners Nellie & Leon and their pups are more than welcoming and the breakfasts are superb. Pricing is reasonable and accommodations are comfortable. The inn is within walking distance of the downtown North Conway area which is abundant with shops and eateries. I look forward to heading back to the Spruce Moose again this year - can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed in Spruce Moose's pet friendly Little House for nearly a week and absolutely loved it. You can't beat the location - both its secluded wooded location tucked behind the lodge, and it's convenient walking ease to downtown. Plenty of restaurants nearby, shopping galore, and nearby skiing. The house is well appointed, clean, and user friendly. It's not fancy which fits our needs well. The lodge owners are great - there if we needed anything but we didn't need a thing! Booking our 2018 visit today. Thanks Spruce Moose!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have been coming to North Conway for 12 years now and stay at the Spruce Moose every time and LOVE it! Leon and Nellie are very friendly and accommodating and our stay is always memorable! Their accommodations are clean and affordable and family friendly (that includes your furry canines too!) They are in a quiet area yet just a walk away from great restaurants and shops. The White Mountains are a great place to vacation and the Spruce Moose is the perfect place to stay!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family