“Good location, room could be tricky though”

Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I’m staying at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown. Last time it left me really good impression. Room is spacious and clean, nice layout includes full kitchen, good breakfast and prompt valet service. This time around though, first night the bathroom fan runs automatically every so often, hours after I’ve done shower. It’s loud enough to wake me up a few times even I had the door closed. I’ve been offered to switch to a different room the 2nd day, it just gets worse, live music bands playing downstairs, not only you can hear every beat of it, the floor is vibrating. The front manager could not do anything about it. Only thing he offered was a pair of ear plugs, guess that must be happening often. Now the fridge started to join the bands...

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Trevor C, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Hi Margie,
Thank you very much for your candid remarks. I was disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay. Please allow us the chance to make it up to you on a return trip to Portsmouth. Please contact me at the hotel to discuss a resolution at 603-422-9200.

Trevor Cross

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We have stayed here a number of times in the past when we've visited Portsmouth, and have never been disappointed with this hotel. Most recently, we were here with a number of families for the New Year's weekend. It was bitterly cold, which put a damper on some of the outdoor activities for Portsmouth's First Night, but we still had a lot of fun. The hotel is in a great location to walk to the many shops, restaurants and bars in the area. The hotel has a nice buffet breakfast, and is pet friendly (two of the families we were with brought their dogs). The staff, from the manager Trevor through the front desk, housekeeping, etc., went out of their way to insure we enjoyed our stay. I don't always use the valet parking, but I did this time, and the valets were great (and definitely earned their tips bringing up the cars in the cold weather!).

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

The location is perfect for walking around downtown. There is a garage nearby so you can choose to self park. The breakfast was fantastic and had something for everyone. I was so thankful to see almond milk and freshly cut fruit! The breakfast just made this hotel my top pick in Portsmouth. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie S

Thanks for your review Julie. We are thrilled to hear about your enjoyable visit and can't wait to welcome you back!

Trevor Cross

Reviewed 24 December 2017

We made a day trip out of Portsmouth and stayed in the Residence inn. We needed a room with a kitchenette to wash and refrigerate bottles which the Residence inn has. The location is within walking distance to all of the attractions in town. Had it been warmer, we would have walked to some of the breweries along the water, but felt it was too far with the weather (it was snowing). The room in excellent condition and the staff were great.

Breakfast was ok, though I'd recommend you walk into town for a better quality breakfast if you want quality.

The only area I'd highlight could improve is the parking. I paid $28 for parking in the valet section. I'm one of those people who prefer to park their own car and keep my own keys. The Valet team were pretty laid back, very nice and accommodating, but I would prefer I just pay $28 and park my own vehicle.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel was selected for a work meeting and I was pleasantly surprised. I stopped checking hotel reviews for work events since there is nothing I can do to change it. However, this hotel was nicely decorated, modern and the meal service was wonderful. We had separate breakfast and lunch setups in addition to the included breakfast buffet. The hotel is walking distance to many local restaurants/bars and valet parking was reasonable. I would stay again for a personal trip.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

My friends and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in Portsmouth and stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown. The hotel was very nice-had a bowl full of chocolate chip cookies at the desk when we checked in and every night we were there. Our suite was very clean with nice decor. The bed and sofa bed were very comfortable. All the staff we encountered were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is in a great location with many restaurants and shops in walking distance. Although it was cold when we were there, it is also walking distance to the waterfront areas, probably fun to do in warmer weather. I would mention that when we initially arrived, there is no front entrance where you can pull up your car. We had to call the hotel and they told us to go around the corner and park in the valet spaces where we could unload luggage and the valet would park our car.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at many hotels here in Portsmouth and I must say this is one of my Favorites.. The location downtown is great for walking to all the shops, bars, and restaurants downtown. If you need the grocery or liquor store the Uber ride is only 6 bucks each way..

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business