“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I was very pleased with my stay. This hotel was picked by someone else and I admit to not being crazy about the idea of a Best Western that was rated 13 out of 18. However I must say it was fine. Yes, the hotel is older, but our room was EXTREMELY CLEAN. The bathroom had recently been updated and there wasn't an ounce of mildew to be found. The carpet and Decor was a little dark, but that was no big deal. It by no means ruined my vacation.

Last year I stayed at the Sheraton which is ranked in the top 5 on trip advisor and that hotels bathroom was dirty, dingy, outdated. And a lot more money. The room itself had been updated but the carpet was stained, furniture beat up.. For the value and experience I'd pick the Best Western over the Sheraton for a future trip.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your latest visit in our hotel! Thank you for the great comments! I hope that you continue to use Best Western and especially the Best Western Wynwood Hotel & Suites in Portsmouth!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
sacramento
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The room was very comfortable and clean and the price was right. The diner next door is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thanks for your positive response! We appreciate your business! Hope to see you again soon!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hotel staff have made having to spend the last 3 months (Apr 2012 - Jun 2012) in a hotel more like an adventure than a pain. They always strive to meet your needs and offer suggestions of local activities to keep you busy when you have free time. The diner next door is an added bonus, with the most awesome desserts. I've stayed in better places with more amenities, but its the environment that makes the stay feel like home. If my business requires me to stay longer, I'll be more than happy to continue to stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
trafficcircle, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
I can't believe I missed responding to your comments about our hotel! I'm thrilled you consider this place a Home Away from Home! I believe that is due to the great team we have here. Keep coming back and we'll certainly welcome you again!
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I travel constantly for work and have over the past 3 months, stayed in every hotel in the greater Portsmouth area. The desk staff here is beyond excellent. Best around. The suites in the tower are unbelievable. I could live in this place. Clean, well appointed. Whirlpool tubs are awesome. Roomy and comfortable. I just love this place!

Easy location to get to from Rt. 1 or 95. Close to downtown and Kittery, ME.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower/suites!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for the great comments....very happy to hear that you have been so happy with us! We are most fortunate to have the team that we have! Keep coming back!
Yarmouth, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Best Western in Portsmouth is conveniently located right at the Portsmout Circle off Exit 5 on Interstate 95 - just a few miles on the New Hampshire side from Maine. Its location offers you close access to the City of Portsmouth as well as the Outlet Shoppes in Kittery, Maine about 5 miles bu Route 1. The hotel itself is very clean with tremendous staff who go out of their way to assist with any question about the area. It has an attached restaurant and bar as well as two computer terminals in the lobby area and fresh coffeee/tea by the elevators.
The room we had was clean and modern with a large flat screen tv with numerous channels; the bed was very comfortable and everything was spotless in the room. The room had a/c which was turned up to full power as there was a heat wave in the area at the time.
There is also a pool as well as a laundry area and work out room on the premises; the hotel is non-smoking but there are several outside sheltered areas for smokers with filter disposing devices nearby.
All in all an excellent value for the price - and within walking distance of the New Hampshire liquor outlet where booze is sold at a cheap price!
This is an OUTSTANDING Best Western property with some of the best staff around!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redrider53
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you so much for all the kudos! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I just wanted to clarify one thing.....we still have a handful of rooms that you are able to smoke in (for those of you who still enjoy that....) but the majority of our rooms are non-smoking.
I would love for you to come again and identify yourself so I can personally meet you!
Travel safely and abundantly!
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The bathrooms were thankfully upgraded. The sink did not drain properly though. The room was very gloomy. With terrible wallpaper and old carpet didn't help either.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay1611
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
I am sorry that you didn't like your room during your recent visit to Portsmouth. I encourage you to always speak up while you are at a hotel so that the staff can make you happy during your stay! Call us again and mention that you would like to be placed in the main hotel, where I know you will be most comfortable. Thank you for your input....we hope to see you again soon!
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 19 June 2012

For this hotel i have two bits of advice: a. do not trust Hotwire.com's rating system and b. stay here as a practical matter--for sleep only. I made the error of booking eight days at this best Western plus property thru Hotwire's mystery hotel service. I chose the highest rated hotel available 3.5 stars and expected an above average place. The Wynnwood--while not a terrible place--is not that. It is sad to say, but this hotel spoiled an otherwise pleasant trip East to visit relatives. My wife and i dreaded returning to our room every night, to what we referred to as "the cave."
The overall theme is dark with burgundy curtains, bleak wallpaper and mediocre bedding. Nothing fluffy here, just standard cheap motel bed covers and poly-floral spreads. There was the old Trinitron tv, next to furniture upgrades, dark-stained dressers, dark carpet that sucked the light out of the room. There were upgrades to the bathroom, including granite counters, but not to the rusty baseboards, access panels and old time air conditioning units. The contiguous diner is a throwaway; enough bad food on the road, don't need to indulge on a layover. Parking was ample as motels--not hotels--are wont to have, for an outside-the-city location. There was a single window at the front of the tunnel-like room that looked onto a courtyard/parking lot.
I want to be fair: this hotel is trying to be decent, but its an uphill battle. The property is a 30 year old converted/renovated HoJos, which means some rooms will be ancient and others more modern. There have been efforts upgrade but the chaotic layouts and 70s styling drag it down and it's customers with it.

Which brings me to star ratings. Many have given this hotel a 5-star rating and while I don't wish to undermine their experience, i seriously question their review metrics. Five stars, a dight under bean town's Copley or Cabo's Pacifica Bonito, really? Sadly, sites like Hotwire are using TA ratings as a way to pitch their listings. Gratuitous, over-the-top reviews of standard rooms is skewing ratings systems online allowing chains and sites to claim privileged three and four star status for fungible, mediocre flats.

In an effort to help others, let me give you an idea of my rating system. Two stars to me is a place you stay when you have to. It is a room for sleep while traveling on the road with few amenities. Three stars is often the same style room but with upgrades to bedding, newer properties, brand chains. I usually put new-build Hampton Inns and Starwood's Element Hotels at the top of this list for their simplicity, cleanliness, breakfast and decent bedding.
Beyond three stars is an elite category. My expectation when I book 3.5-5.0 star hotels is that in addition to getting a place to crash i get a room that I like to stay in, a hotel i like to hang at. it's a place where i can order room service and happily lounge, look out my windows to the streets below. In this case, the more stars over three, the more comfortable amenities are provided. The BW Wynnwood for me rates in around 2.5 stars. It is a hotel that is trying, but due to externalities faces limitations in design, comfort and location. It is a place I would stay again when, bleary from driving from Calais, ME to Tom's River, NJ, I stop for rest, happy for a flat surface to lie on.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank orizu
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
I am so very sorry that you didn't like our hotel. You're correct, we have 3 buildings that were built at different time periods. You were in the building that was the oldest of the 3, but has gotten a face lift. The 37 inch TVs hadn't all been distributed when you were here.
An older building means different challenges, one including the a/c system. Although it isn't "pretty" it does work. These room types are our less expensive rooms.

I was surprised that since you mentioned you were here for 8 days why you wouldn't have requested a different room. I often encourage folks to speak to management if they are unhappy with their room. You'd be surprised what we can do to remedy a situation.
I appreciate your candor and will work to improve so that we can satisfy our future clientele.
I do hope you try us again in the future....