“Portsmouth Rocks!!!”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Everybody....car attendant .... desk manager....all of the staff ....exceptional service! And they actually smile and say howdy! A beautiful hotel and wonderful crew!

Room Tip: King room suite
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed at Hilton Garden Inn, Portsmouth, NH two nights in March 2012. Had lots of changes to my plans because was dealing with family emergency. Staff was 100% accommodating, helpful, gracious in dealing with cancellations, rebookings, special requests for adjoining rooms, etc. Treated me with same level of service that I might have expected from a family-run, independently-owned business. The interior, public spaces of the hotel are very modern, minimal feeling, and clean. Bar area is pleasant and welcoming. Hung out there late night, very quiet, relaxing scene. Rooms were clean and pleasant. Only complaint is that the a/c system cycles on and off at night and is noisy. My first night/first room was quiet, but adjoining room was loud. My second night, my a/c was loud, but the adjoining room's was quiet. Go figure. Overall, the hotel is quiet, no street noise, but between the refrigerator (nice convenience) and the a/c cycling, I did not have the greatest night's sleep ever. I would go back to the Hilton, but I might bring my earplugs!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HDTH
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I've logged a lot of nights here and, other than the bar, I have to say it's no better than average. The rooms are starting to show signs of wear, desk chairs broken, cleaning staff does a mediocre job, etc... However, since they also own the Marriott next door, taking your business elsewhere while still staying downtown really doesn't have the same impact. My main issue is with the overnight staff, The night security guy is a real jerk who somehow manages to keep his job despite complaints from numerous guests who have been on the receiving end of his bitter, negative attitude. So bad that it made me move to another hotel (not owned by this group). It's still a fair choice if nothing else is available, but check out the Sheraton first.

• Stayed: February 2012
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

I am very sorry to hear of your concerns about our hotel and that you have chosen to stay elsewhere. Please know we take our guest’s experience seriously and work hard to make it positive for all! That said occasionally our staff will need to make decisions that are based on the general well being of all our guests. I apologize if the situation you refer to did not live up to our high standards.

Regarding our room condition, we follow a strict preventative maintenance program for all our rooms. In addition, we have updated all our room’s linens and drapery within the past 9 months. Our housekeeping staff consistently receive some of the highest guest satisfaction scores within the Hilton Garden Inn Brand. It concerns me that we may have a room in the condition you describe and will be extra diligent in finding this room to correct ASAP.

Ron Rockelein,

Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn over St. Patrick's Day weekend with a group in town for a soccer tournament. The hotel's locations as perfect - within walking distance to all of the restaurants and shops you could hope for. Check-in was smooth and the staff was really helpful with the exception of one guy at the front desk who acted as if he wished our group stayed somewhere else. I would have chalked it up to a bad mood, but he was working there all 3 days with a sour disposition every time. But the remaining front desk staff, housekeeping, lounge and everyone else were great.

Since we were with a sports team (12 & 13 year old girls) they made us all sign a special notice about following the rules, quiet time, etc. I actually really appreciated this as I have often stayed in other hotels (where I was not part of such a group) but was disturbed by rowdy kids. I thought this was a good reminder to ensure that our kids didn't disrupt the stay of other guests. It certainly made the kids take notice!

The rooms were nice but the beds were a little hard for my taste. Parking is valet only and breakfast doesn't start until 7am which was too late for us with an early game. They had music in the lounge each night and it was great. Beautiful lobby area where the parents could sit and talk.

Overall, great stay - I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank hangdog
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed at the Portsmouth Hilton Garden Inn recently with ome friends. The staff were very friendly and helped us plan our evening. The rooms were quite comfortable, clean, and had a marvelous chair which was comfortable while working on the computer. In the evening there were two musicians playing acoustic guitars which we enjoyed. It was a treat to hear live music and still be able to talk and catch up.
There was a $15.00 valet parking fee. I didn't mind though as I imagine parking is limited in that area. The breakfast was a tasty buffet, but a tad pricey.
We didn't utilize the pool or work out room, although they looked inviting.
This was a great location as well. We parked our car and were able to walk to the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Travelgirl284
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked the Hilton through priceline.com and got a great deal on the hotel. Priceline had canceled our 2nd room when we were checking in, and the Hilton staff went above and beyond and gave us the reservation even though Priceline canceled it. Tom and Max were both very helpful.

- Location - great location to be close to all the restaurants and bars. You literrally are 1/4 mile from anything in the city.

- Rooms - the rooms here are great - they have the sleep number beds, which were awesome, almost went and bought one after I left.

- Pool - Small but the hot tub was great - opened to 11:00 pm as well, which was great

Don't hesitate to book this hotel. It is awesome and the staff is great

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorwoodDave
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Beautiful room. Valet parking. Very quiet. A short walk away from cool food places, so you dont have to order from room service. I had a view of a parking garage.

• Stayed: June 2011