“Long term, repeat guest - will not return again”

Residence Inn by Marriott Portsmouth
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
USA
“Long term, repeat guest - will not return again”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I have stayed here three times for a total length of around 120 nights over the past couple of years. The top feature of this hotel is the front desk staff who are very friendly and usually pretty helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and there is adequate parking. The location is perfect for me - it is close to a mall and grocery stores, and only 10 minutes or so to downtown. The daily breakfast has a lot to choose from and is worth eating. The dinners 4 nights a week are sometimes edible.

As others have said the HVAC is a bit noisy, they allow animals which sometimes bark, and very occasionally the brewery next door has loud concerts that go on till around 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night. In spite of all that, it is still a reasonably quiet hotel and I have never been too bothered by noise.

The gym is pretty much useless. The two treadmills are old and in such poor condition that they are nearly unusable. There are no free weights and the weight machine thing is in nearly as bad of shape as the cardio equipment. On the plus side the streets around the hotel offer a pretty decent 2-4 mile loop for running when weather permits.

On my last stay I came back to the hotel from work around 6pm and found the door to my room propped open. There were no housekeepers or maintenance staff inside. Presumably they forgot to close the door when they left hours earlier. Being a long term guest I had a lot of my personal belongings there - two laptops, an iPod, expensive luggage, etc. I found it totally unacceptable that they would leave my room open to anyone who wanted to come in. I explained what happened and expressed my concern to two young men working the front desk, they acted shocked and apologized repeatedly. I said it's not you're fault, just make sure the housekeepers and maintenance staff are spoken to and trained to lock up when they're done. They said it would not happen again.

A few days later I found the door propped open again and reported the issue to the night shift front desk worker. I told her I would be checking out and not staying there in the future. She said she would pass my concerns on to management. When I checked out there was no mention of the security issue, no request for a second... or third chance.

Because of the security issue and management's lack of response to it I will be giving my business to the Holiday Inn, Portsmouth when I return for my next two month long visit in the spring.

Room Tip: Lock your valuables in your trunk, don't trust that anything locked in your room will be safe.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 December 2011

It was great this time, especially since we were placed on a higher floor. That minimized the pervading cigarette smoke from getting into the hallway and we didn't get a mouse to stow away in my bag this time and come home with us. Since this is a pet friendly hotel, I do recommend that you request a room on a higher floor. The only time we had a problem with overwhelming fumes was when my dad burnt the popcorn in the microwave. The hotel felt a lot cleaner than it did when we visited last year. I do enjoy the breakfast that is offered in the morning and the dining room carpet never ceases to amuse me. The staff was very helpful, especially since us and our friends ran into a bit of a room problem. The young man at the front desk held his composure very well, especially since the fire alarm was going off at the same time.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not on the ground floor. The outside door is constantly opening and closing a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If you're planning a trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA, and want a nice, reasonably priced hotel, this is the one for you. Breakfast is included and they have a social/snack event from 5 - 7 PM midweek days. It's right downtown and steps from the best restaurants etc. that Portsmouth has to offer. We had a nice big suite that my friend mentioned was actually bigger than her apartment in San Francisco!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
new jersey
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My family stayed at this hotel for two nights during Parents' Weekend at the University of New Hampshire. Although the hallways (rugs, especially) need updating, the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. We had a family unit so there were two complete bathrooms, comfortable queen-size beds with a sitting room/kitchenette in between. The breakfast (included) was outstanding, hot, and constantly replenished. We would stay there again gladly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Unfortunately I agree with some other comments....too many strange odors...in the hallways...the rooms.....at breakfast. The number one problem though is the HVAC unit is in a closet in the room and it is VERY LOUD when running!! We turned ours off but could still hear other room units. Good thing it was a reasonable temperature...could not do when real hot or cold!! Note--this is the Residence Inn at Pease airport. The location downtown is terrific!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IrishFan-80
Atlanta
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Was in NH for a wedding and decided to stay here again. First thing we noticed was the comfortable atmosphere of the main building. They used have this country thing going on but the lobby is much more tasteful.

Our room was clean & comfortable. The staff was great but the place was busy for this weekend.

I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Like other reviewers pointed out, there are some good things about this property and some not so good things, but I think there is an even bigger issue with Marriott when it comes to how they promote the properties they own in this area. There are actually TWO Residence Inns in Portsmouth: one on International Drive near the Pease Airforce Base and another on Deer Street in downtown Portsmouth.

We called the Marriott Rewards customer number to make our reservations 2 months prior to our trip and thought we were booking the Deer Street property. You can imagine how surprised we were when we showed up at that property at 10:30 at night after a 7 hour drive, only to be told that we didn't have a room there, that in fact, our room was at the other Residence Inn a couple of miles away . The front desk clerk said "oh, this happens all the time." Well, if that's the case, shouldn't Marriott do something about this to make it clear which property is which? We called Marriott and they promised to make this better, although we weren't sure how as it was late and we wanted to get to bed. So we drove over to the Residence Inn on International Drive.

The front desk was very friendly to us, as we had called them from the Deer Street location and they were aware of the issue. This property is very outdated and could really use some sprucing up. There is paint chipping everywhere and the pool is near the lobby so the smell of chlorine hangs heavy in the air. Our room was on the third floor and was a decent size, with a bedroom area and a sitting area, but it smelled awful....kind of like a chemical floral scent over a stale musty odor. There was also hair on the wall inside the shower. Breakfast was cereal, oatmeal, belgain waffles and a couple of hot choices, but they ran out of forks and sppons! I ate my yogurt with a plastic knife! After this debacle, the next day we called Marriott again to make arrangements to stay at the Deer Street property. They told us they had availability so we checked out of the International Drive property. Late in the afternoon, we went to check in at the Deer Street property (which is new and LEED certified) and the front desk told us that they didn't have a reservation for us. Turns out, Marriott Rewards customer service booked us for the wrong nights! So we had no place to stay! After an hour of working with the front desk clerk there, they were able to book us at the Fairfield Inn, yet another Marriott property in Portsmouth. All in all, it worked out, but Marriott owes us big time and needs to make this right for 1) Not being clear and making the distinction between the two VERY different properties in Portsmouth to prevent future mix-ups 2) When attempting to fix the mix-up, they booked us for the wrong nights at the Deer Street property leaving us with no stay 3) It took us over 2 hours to find another place for us to stay, plus check-in and unloading our stuff, etc. We would not stay at this property again, and would be hesitant to stay at another Marriott property when other brands such as Starwood have better customer service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family