New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Steel hill April nh school vacation week”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just returned from our two night stay. Had some major issues before arrival, we were staying two nights booked second night at the last minute. They wanted us to move rooms, I have a one yr old and six yr old. Spent hours on the phone trying to straighten it out. Finally just decided to talk to someone else when we got there t check in as girl on the phone had only been there a month. Upon check in we were told the same thing about changing rooms until finally someone helped out and we were able to stay in same room for both nights. Check in is not until 4 so be warned, that is very late and check out is 10am which doesn't give much time for one night. And yes you can use facility all day but that is not good with little ones and nowhere to nap, change, etc.

Room was ok, plenty of space but rustic. It's definitely not a hotel. The office is at the bottom of hill, not within walking distance. You are basically on your own as if you rented a condo or something. No room service, etc. Our room was in west bldg attached to pool, but a long long walk and lots of stairs to get there. Our room was the one bedroom with two beds. It's a strange set up, you unlock a door off hallway and now your looking at two more doors, ours was to the right another persons straight ahead. Ours was underneath, the downstairs of what I guess was a townhouse converted into two units, very strange.

Pool was very nice, I can say that. My six year old loved it but it's four feet deep just over her head. We had to run to Walmart to get her swimmies. The entire pool is four feet besides the kiddie section which was two feet.

West building

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wwegan
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
I am glad to hear your children enjoyed the amenities during your stay with us. April school vacation was a very busy period. The resort was running at over 95% occupancy for most of the week. I believe this is one of the reasons why the reservationist had an issue confirming your second night. It is likely there may have been a conflict with another reservation at the time you called. I am glad to hear the staff was able to shuffle some rooms around at the time of check-in to give you access to the same room for the second night. I will follow up with them to confirm this was the case and see if we can give new reservationist more tools to take care of this issue at the point of reservation during high occupancy weeks.

As you mentioned, we do offer kiddie pools at our large indoor facility and at our main outdoor facility. I am sorry to hear you had to drive to Walmart to allow you children to fully enjoy the pool area. We are actually considering opening an onsite store in the future to provide guest with any food and recreation necessities during their stay. I will make sure we consider stocking swimmies when that time comes.

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Steele Hill. I do hope you give us another chance and choose to stay with us again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I booked this trip for a valentine's day surprise via a Groupon. I also called to confirm which of the three buildings we would be in as I had heard that each has its own character. Unfortunately, we were placed in a different building (not connected with the new swimming pool) and parking was a bit hard to come by (in their defense, some people parked taking up 2 to 3 spots and there was a lot of snow).
As others have mentioned, the roads are a bit rough, but are not problematic provided you go slow and are paying attention.
Their bill was impossible to understand, costs were not itemized and even the staff said that they are hard to follow. After having it explained to me twice, I gave up and accepted it.
Great breakfast, but a little pricy.
The room was huge and came with a fridge and freezer which was very nice. The bathroom, while roomy and with enough hot water, had a floor that squeaked no matter where we stood.
Our room had two large beds, but one had a massive stain on it and we did not use it. The bed bug covers on both beds were torn.

Room Tip: The West building is bad if stairs are an issue for you, but has a great view. The new building has...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kevin b
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
I am sorry to hear you had some issues during your stay. Sometimes during snowstorms parking can become a temporary nuisance. Fortunately we have 2 plow trucks on the property to help keep things clear. I am sure the misunderstanding with your bill was the result of an unclear explanation at the time of check out. We had several, all hands on deck meetings to explain the details of the Groupon offer to our employees, so the staff should not have had an issue explaining things. I will follow up with the desk personnel to see if this was a problem during the promotion.

I would love the chance to change your perception about our resort. Please do not hesitate to call me or email me. If we do get a chance to speak I can have our staff provide a clearer explanation of any items that cause confusion on the bill. You can reach me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216. Hopefully, once we set things straight you might consider coming to enjoy a stay with us in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I booked this resort after an Internet search for a getaway weekend in NH for our 25th anniversary and was very pleased and nicely surprised that the room chosen was exactly like the picture on the website. It's always a welcome surprise to find a new gateway destination that lives up to your own expectations. We've already told our neighbors with kids and relatives and do plan to return in the Summer.

The one suggestion I would make to this and all Hotels is to supply a code of conduct overview to each quests checking in as well as post intermittent " No Running" signs in the hallways. The code of conduct overview should remind guest to respect the other guest within the hotel by not running in the hallways and within their rooms and to keep the noise level down. Hotel walls are notoriously thin and it's always been a frustration to hear kids running overhead or down hallways, By providing a code of conduct reminder perhaps parents who normally would not allow this behavior in their own home will also keep it in check while at the hotel.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids the newer West Building has an amazing pool that you and they will enjoy. We...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bill B
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Hopefully the views from your deck offered a nice backdrop to your 25th anniversary. I am glad to hear that you had a great time with us and would recommend Steele Hill to friends and family. We strive to provide a relaxing safe haven for people visiting the Lakes Region.

In terms of the rules of conduct, that is a good suggestion. Over the years we have tried many different methods of notifying guests about our policies. Signage is obviously a good start and our security team does address matters during their rounds of the property. We are currently working on a resort information channel that might be the perfect medium for things of this nature. I will keep your recommendations in mind.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill, we hope to see you again soon.

Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our stay was very relaxing, with beautiful views of two lakes surrounded by NH mountains. We took a lot of day trips, as April is the off season for surrounding area things to do (ice out - winter activities over, no warm month activities yet). It's all good, as I imagine Winter and Summer would be a lot more crowded. Seems like clientele was mostly families with young kids. Would recommend for families, not sure about romantic getaway, as it might be a little on the noisey side. We stayed in the East building, no problems except the walls are a little on the thin side...you can hear All your neighbors. All in all, would recommend.

Room Tip: West and East buildings both have indoor and outdoor pools. West pool is the one pictured in the bro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you had a chance to enjoy the scenery during your stay. The Lakes Region is a bit more quite during those months, but is can be a great time to get familiar with the area without the larger crowds. I am also happy to hear that you had no issues with your Steele Hill East accommodations. We have made significant renovations to those units over the recent years and many people have a misconception that they are of a lower standard.

I understand you had a minor issue with noise. We are making efforts to reinforce placement policies at reservations to help mitigate this issue. The resort is also looking into sound-proofing measures with improved carpet padding during the next round of replacement.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts to spend your vacation. We appreciate your business and hope to see you up on the Hill again soon.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Had not heard of this place before but were familiar with the area (Tilton outlets) so purchased a Groupon to check it out for a one-night getaway. It was only a 90 minute drive for us and agree the access roads can be a bit rough getting up there. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and told they had upgraded us to a West Wing 2-bedroom townhouse. That sounded lovely but since there were only two of us, we really did not see the point but thanked them anyways. We only used the upstairs portion of the unit and that area was spacious. Fairly typical furnishings – nothing fancy but adequate. Fireplace was great. The view was awesome – overlooking the lake with the mountains in the background. The balcony was an added plus even if a little chilly still. We found our way to the pool, which we totally enjoyed – esp. the water slide. Lots of families with children there but did not feel over crowded. The sauna and Jacuzzi were also very relaxing. Checked out the exercise room, which appeared well equipped but did not have time to workout since staying only one night. For dinner, we drove to the restaurant down the hill, as it was a bit too far to walk esp. in cold weather. The view, service and food were all excellent!
Glad we were in the West wing since close to the main pool area and with a wonderful view. Top floor was also a plus not having to hear kids running up and down the corridors or being overhead. Not certain what the other areas were like but enjoyed where we were located. They definitely are in need of upgraded security systems for the doors - Key access is not safe. The outside doors did not close well unless pulled shut. Lots of stairs could be a concern for some but we were ok with them. We were only there the one night and did not check out everything but would definitely like to visit again – maybe in the fall.

Room Tip: West Wing seems to be the place to stay. Higher floors esp for Adults without children would be qui...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coco1231
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Hearing from a new customer that had a positive experience with us is always a great feeling. Having the Tanger Outlets nearby is a great asset to the Resort and the Lakes Region. I am glad you enjoyed Steele Hill West. These rooms do have some killer views. I am happy to hear you had a chance to kick back and relax in the big pool area. I will pass on the positive review of your dining experience to our food and beverage manager.

Once again, it is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your time at Steele Hill and that you plan on returning in the future. We hope to see you up on the Hill Again soon.

Inverness, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We found the West side to be the place to stay. The indoor pool is great with the water slide, very tropical layout. The food was great as well as the sauna and work out area. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: By all means stay on the West side, great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
The west pool area is the closest you’ll get to the tropics in New Hampshire. I think the plants we have around the pool help set the mood. I am glad you had a great stay with us. Sounds like you enjoyed many of our indoor amenities during your time with us. We are actually completely renovating the workout facilities in May. This means new flooring, all new equipment and TVs for each cardio station. It is going to be a great new addition to the resort. Hopefully you can get a chance to come back up and enjoy it in the coming months. We look forward to seeing you on the hill again soon.

Avon, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I booked a two day stay at this hotel for a getaway for with my husband and toddler. When I booked my trip I asked where the best room would be with a toddler, the girl told me West wing by the pool. She must not have a toddler because you have to walk up a staircase outside and then down a long hallway where my room had another spiral staircase to brt to the pool. Also, when we checked in I was given instructions to go in an entrance that was "easy" we entered the "not easy way" by he pool. We were met with Mayan temple like stairs we had to go up and Down with a carriage bags and baby. After climbing the stairs I asked the lady near the pool if we came in the right way, and she seemed oblivious to where are rooms were because she said yes. Once we were in our room after a hellish entrance to this place I called the front desk, there are no baby gates nd my son fell in he first 5 minutes of our stay. We went to the pool where we were told there would be a bar because we were so rattled we needed a drink. Yeah that was closed for the entire two day stay. The food is good I'll give them that and the pool truly is nice but the rooms are outdated, walls are thin, hotel staff was not helpful and we were more stressed out after being there for two days. I will think again before using a groupon getaway.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about stairs and explain your needs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Loren S
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay. Our organization prides itself on resolving guest issues. Had we known you were unhappy, I can assure you we would have gone out of our way to make things right.

Based on your feedback, it sounds like the issues began with the reservation. I will talk with our front desk staff about your experience. The west building does have several doors along the main hallway that offer more convenient parking and more direct access to the rooms. Had our staff been more communicative, this would have prevented you from having to enter through the amenities building. During your stay our west bar area was closed, but our main bar and tavern in the restaurant area was open. I will look into better signage to put out at the west bar area to communicate this with guests.

Your comment regarding the gate is also insightful. I will talk with our housekeeping staff today about coming up with a solution to offer guests for this issue.

I would love the opportunity to change you perception of the property. Please feel free to contact me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216 and I would be more than happy to discuss your stay and see if we can change your outlook on the property.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
10.3 km away
10.9 km away
The Naswa Resort
The Naswa Resort
#1 of 12 in Laconia

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!