All reviews queen bed new hampshire british pub front porch breakfast choices private bath french toast eggy bread great place to stay royal bath tavern hosts murals nh peterborough cemetery peeked
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I travel to this part of NH every few years to visit family. I always have a problem finding a place to stay, either they are very expensive or they don't offer hardly any amenities.

It was a breath of fresh air to find this B+B!! It is easy to find and centrally located. The rates are very reasonable and they offer more amenities than any other B+B. There is a cozy common room where you can read or relax or surf the web with Wifi. There is a bathroom in every suite - very hard to find! There is a pub on-site, it closes at an early hour, so no fear of it interrupting your stay - I thought it was a great bonus to enjoy a drink and not have to drive!

The innkeepers, Nick and Andrew are awesome, funny and witty and made my stay that much more enjoyable! They were such a pleasure! My search has ended for my perfect place to stay in NH!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed January 31, 2010

If you are a romantic at heart, entering the Birchwood Inn was like walking into a previous enchanting time period where life was full of charm and grace. We were offered and experienced all the finer points of a life from a time before: hearty food and drink (even freshly brewed coffee was extraordinary), wonderfully accommodating bedding, dim lighting, classic ambience, hot water, chess and an unspeakable amount of hospitality and grace.

For addicts to technology and the pace of modern life, the B&B completely surpassed expectations of a trendy hotel. Wireless in all rooms, extremely clean, directions/recommendations to all traveling needs better than an urban concierge, and again, a very customized, personal and warm customer-service.

We definitely look forward to our return...

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Nick and Andrew were wonderful hosts at this beautiful, historic inn and tavern. We hiked Monadnock and only had a short drive to the Inn and were greeted warmly and welcomed down to home cooked dinner at the inn, complete with English beers and a game of darts. The rooms were quaint with comfortable beds, the grounds were beautiful and breakfast was delicious. They even opened up an adjoining room so everyone could sleep comfortably. I would absolutely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I didn't find the Birchwood Inn myself, but I was glad a friend booked my stay there. I stayed at the Inn for a wedding weekend, and had a fantastic experience.

Arriving on Friday, with little time to spare before the wedding rehearsal, Nick was kind enough to efficiently send us to our room to freshen up, and immediately provided directions so we could arrive on time. We returned to Andrew's hearty home cooked meal for the rehearsal dinner. Great food was accompanied by excellent service and good company, as Nick, Andrew and Trish were able to relax with us as the party wound down.

Saturday morning dawned early with a myriad of breakfast choices and excellent coffee. While I had to scoot with the bridal party after a quick (but tasty) bite, my husband was able to linger over multiple pots of coffee. Nick was an extremely helpful, providing us with irons, steamers, and veil opinions. He helped keep the bride calm, and got everyone off on time.

Sunday was English breakfast at its finest, as we sadly began to pack up and go our separate ways.

Overall, we felt like we were at a home away from home. The B+B was built in the 1700's so there are some small challenges, creaky floors, weak plumbing, and peeling paint. I could only hope to stand up so well after more than 200 years. What it lacks in updates, it makes up for in charm. The grounds and the area are beautiful and quaint. I can only imagine its beauty in other seasons...fall, winter. High end it's not, but an excellent value with fantastic proprietors.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

When you have travelled across the Atlantic by plane and arrived in Boston as the airport is about to close coz of a snow storm you just know the holiday is going to be different! A interesting snowy journey thru Mass into southern NH and suddenly you are in a snow covered winter wonderland.

They say NH is beautiful in the Fall, but coming from England where snow is as rare as dragons eggs, you just can't beat a New England christmas!

Driving into Temple the Inn was aglow with lights and the warmth of the welcome on entering the Inn from the cold was truly delightful! it was really like coming home!
Nick provides a welcome in his inimitable English style, a style perfected, it seems whilst working as a Red Coat at Bultlins ... Trish, the American part of the team, joins the welcome party and it's upto the room!

Room is spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated, OK it's maybe a little basic but it's a listed building that's over 200 years old!!!! All rooms have small 12" tv and the bed is comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets. All laundry is fresh and clean.

Back to the Bar and ordered Bangers and Mash just to be awkward! I mean you have to see how well this English staple is produced over on the other side of the pond. Andrew's cooking was excellent, food was well presented, without being fussy, piping hot and delicious!! The Bar was well stocked, and popular with the locals and the staff well presented - unexpectedly for a small rural tavern the staff were young and smartly dressed in the tavern uniform ... maybe this is an American thing!!!

Nick was chatty, and full of information about the Inn - the walls of the main dining room being a mural painted around 1830 by Rufus Porter, and about the local area. Seems he was in for a late night as was waiting up for a guest who was delayed, but to Nick that was all part of the service!!!

comments - this is a small rural inn run by two English guys and one American gal with a small number of locally employed staff. Built over 200 years ago it is tastefully decorated Being from England we were lucky enough to be given a guided tour of the Inn and so can say that all off the rooms were clean and well maintained. As it was December the heating was on and the rooms were comfortably warm. However, we were asked to be careful with water usage as the Inn as with so much of NH relies upon it's own well!!! not an un-reasonable request! Talking to Nick & Andrew it would seem that they are gradually refurbishing all the rooms, replacing old shower units etc but trying not to destroy the "olde world" atmosphere with too much gleaming plastic!!! and from what we saw are doing a fantastic job!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple