“Warm and welcoming”
Review of Birchwood Inn

Birchwood Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Temple B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We were greeted warmly by Amanda when we arrived and were efficiently checked in. We stayed in the Oxford room which was nicely decorated, clean, and had ample space including a seating area near a small electric (?) fireplace which we did not utilize. We met Nick, Trish, Andrew and other staff, all of whom were friendly and engaging. Prior to our arrival, we had advised the Inn, via email, that I have celiac disease and cannot eat foods containing gluten. The Inn staff were well aware of this and to my surprise they actually had gluten-free bread available. In addition to meat entrees, the dinner menu had vegetarian options, which my husband prefers, and several choices which could be made gluten-free. Nick did advise me that they always try to accommodate special dietary needs, but they definitely can be more helpful when they are informed in advance. Nick was very helpful in getting updated information about local events. Breakfast was very hearty which was great to get us going on our hike to Mount Monadnock. At the end of the day, the afternoon sun shines on the front porch making it a lovely place to have a glass of wine. And although its now October, there were still lovely pink mums and lantana blooming in the garden. What I liked best? We found the innkeepers and staff to be very welcoming. The inn felt more like a home with each passing day. Our stay was very relaxing and we enjoyed a quite a few laughs with the staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2010

I travel to this part of NH every few years to visit family. I always have a problem finding a place to stay, either they are very expensive or they don't offer hardly any amenities.

It was a breath of fresh air to find this B+B!! It is easy to find and centrally located. The rates are very reasonable and they offer more amenities than any other B+B. There is a cozy common room where you can read or relax or surf the web with Wifi. There is a bathroom in every suite - very hard to find! There is a pub on-site, it closes at an early hour, so no fear of it interrupting your stay - I thought it was a great bonus to enjoy a drink and not have to drive!

The innkeepers, Nick and Andrew are awesome, funny and witty and made my stay that much more enjoyable! They were such a pleasure! My search has ended for my perfect place to stay in NH!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 31 January 2010

If you are a romantic at heart, entering the Birchwood Inn was like walking into a previous enchanting time period where life was full of charm and grace. We were offered and experienced all the finer points of a life from a time before: hearty food and drink (even freshly brewed coffee was extraordinary), wonderfully accommodating bedding, dim lighting, classic ambience, hot water, chess and an unspeakable amount of hospitality and grace.

For addicts to technology and the pace of modern life, the B&B completely surpassed expectations of a trendy hotel. Wireless in all rooms, extremely clean, directions/recommendations to all traveling needs better than an urban concierge, and again, a very customized, personal and warm customer-service.

We definitely look forward to our return...

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Nick and Andrew were wonderful hosts at this beautiful, historic inn and tavern. We hiked Monadnock and only had a short drive to the Inn and were greeted warmly and welcomed down to home cooked dinner at the inn, complete with English beers and a game of darts. The rooms were quaint with comfortable beds, the grounds were beautiful and breakfast was delicious. They even opened up an adjoining room so everyone could sleep comfortably. I would absolutely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I didn't find the Birchwood Inn myself, but I was glad a friend booked my stay there. I stayed at the Inn for a wedding weekend, and had a fantastic experience.

Arriving on Friday, with little time to spare before the wedding rehearsal, Nick was kind enough to efficiently send us to our room to freshen up, and immediately provided directions so we could arrive on time. We returned to Andrew's hearty home cooked meal for the rehearsal dinner. Great food was accompanied by excellent service and good company, as Nick, Andrew and Trish were able to relax with us as the party wound down.

Saturday morning dawned early with a myriad of breakfast choices and excellent coffee. While I had to scoot with the bridal party after a quick (but tasty) bite, my husband was able to linger over multiple pots of coffee. Nick was an extremely helpful, providing us with irons, steamers, and veil opinions. He helped keep the bride calm, and got everyone off on time.

Sunday was English breakfast at its finest, as we sadly began to pack up and go our separate ways.

Overall, we felt like we were at a home away from home. The B+B was built in the 1700's so there are some small challenges, creaky floors, weak plumbing, and peeling paint. I could only hope to stand up so well after more than 200 years. What it lacks in updates, it makes up for in charm. The grounds and the area are beautiful and quaint. I can only imagine its beauty in other seasons...fall, winter. High end it's not, but an excellent value with fantastic proprietors.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

When you have travelled across the Atlantic by plane and arrived in Boston as the airport is about to close coz of a snow storm you just know the holiday is going to be different! A interesting snowy journey thru Mass into southern NH and suddenly you are in a snow covered winter wonderland.

They say NH is beautiful in the Fall, but coming from England where snow is as rare as dragons eggs, you just can't beat a New England christmas!

Driving into Temple the Inn was aglow with lights and the warmth of the welcome on entering the Inn from the cold was truly delightful! it was really like coming home!
Nick provides a welcome in his inimitable English style, a style perfected, it seems whilst working as a Red Coat at Bultlins ... Trish, the American part of the team, joins the welcome party and it's upto the room!

Room is spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated, OK it's maybe a little basic but it's a listed building that's over 200 years old!!!! All rooms have small 12" tv and the bed is comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets. All laundry is fresh and clean.

Back to the Bar and ordered Bangers and Mash just to be awkward! I mean you have to see how well this English staple is produced over on the other side of the pond. Andrew's cooking was excellent, food was well presented, without being fussy, piping hot and delicious!! The Bar was well stocked, and popular with the locals and the staff well presented - unexpectedly for a small rural tavern the staff were young and smartly dressed in the tavern uniform ... maybe this is an American thing!!!

Nick was chatty, and full of information about the Inn - the walls of the main dining room being a mural painted around 1830 by Rufus Porter, and about the local area. Seems he was in for a late night as was waiting up for a guest who was delayed, but to Nick that was all part of the service!!!

comments - this is a small rural inn run by two English guys and one American gal with a small number of locally employed staff. Built over 200 years ago it is tastefully decorated Being from England we were lucky enough to be given a guided tour of the Inn and so can say that all off the rooms were clean and well maintained. As it was December the heating was on and the rooms were comfortably warm. However, we were asked to be careful with water usage as the Inn as with so much of NH relies upon it's own well!!! not an un-reasonable request! Talking to Nick & Andrew it would seem that they are gradually refurbishing all the rooms, replacing old shower units etc but trying not to destroy the "olde world" atmosphere with too much gleaming plastic!!! and from what we saw are doing a fantastic job!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2009

When we pulled up (and we were told in no uncertain terms that check in was NOT before 3 PM,) we found a locked door and a facade of peeling paint that did not bode well for our stay.

We were shown to a claustrophobic coffin of a room that was not very clean and in poor repair. There was a tiny air conditioner that could barely deal with the dank heat and humidity; there was a similarly tiny TV (4 inches, I kid you not) mounted at the ceiling. The bed had, for some inexplicable reason, two pimply blankets and a quilt, and one of the blankets was an electric which was almost impossible to extricate from the bedding, given the cord. This was in July, when an electric blanket is not usually necessary-- even in New Hampshire.

The screens on the windows were torn, and insect life of all varieties abounded. There were crawling ants, flying fruit flies, regular flies, and an assemblage of insect life we were unable to identify.

There was one warm bottle of water left in the room. A couple of lightbulbs were out.

The towels were gray and threadbare, and the shower was a plastic hole with PVC pipe railing the middle. The paint and plastic surfaces of the shower were all peeling, and the aluminum frame door nearly came off the hinges when we opened the shower. In all my years staying in hotels and B&B's I can never remember not taking a shower, but in this case, neither my spouse nor I felt able to face the cruddy shower and the disgusting towels. The only amenity was a skinny bar of over perfumed soap that reminded me of the old cashmere bouquet you used to get at the Howard Johnson's back in the days.
No shampoo, no washcloths, just a cute rhyme above the toilet advising you to jiggle the handle so the place would not run out of water by the morning.

I can't understand how this establishment manages to rack up any positive reviews. Given the poor housekeeping, I would advise you to avoid the restaurant as well as the accommodations. There was nothing charming about the place other than our departure, which was very welcome indeed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Trepidation1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Temple
10.6 km away
13 km away
Woodbound Inn
Woodbound Inn
#1 of 1 in Rindge

Been to Birchwood Inn? Share your experiences!