“Best camping! Helped create wonderful memories for my daughter and I.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crawford Notch General Store and Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Twin Mountain
Crawford Notch General Store and Campground
South Easton, Massachusetts
“Best camping! Helped create wonderful memories for my daughter and I.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Great family campground ! We have been coming here for five years and have never been disappointed. The sites are private and spacious. The facilities are clean and the General Store well stocked with anything you may have left at home. The swimming hole on the Saco is perfect for all ages. We usually bring our bikes and ride on the miles of trails overlooking the Saco river. Great place for building memories with your kids.
I have seen in a few reviews that say the owners are rude and over zealous on the rules. Guess what? Rules are there for a reason and clearly stated on the web site. My experience with the owners is great. They are a kind helpful bunch of people. I have seem them help
novice campers or those who arrived after dark set up camp so they can quickly enjoy the camping experience. Customer service here is great!
Do not forget to bring you camera.

2 Thank Bgavinsamdiv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

My husband and I have been camping here for 13 years with friends and love it. We've been through three sets of ownership and Richard, the current owner, is amazing. We've never been happier with the cleanliness of the bath house and the friendliness of the staff. They truly go out of their way to make sure your stay is what you hoped it would be. Previous owners were not very friendly and the new management has been the breath of fresh air the campground needed. The setting is by far the most beautiful I've ever seen in a campground that also has the convenience of a general store and bath house. A mountain backdrop to the crystal clear Saco River with easy river access for great tubing and swimming. It's our at least once a year getaway and never disappoints!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachael M
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

Hi,

I have stayed here every July for one week since the summer of 2001. Sometimes I come solo, more recently I have brought my adult son with me, and once my adult nephew met us.

Obviously I must like it here. I have been here though at least two owners - I believe the number is actually three. I always get a premium riverfront site, away from the hghway and its noise. The camp serves as our "base camp" from which we do vigorous mountain climbing hikes during the day and then a dip in the frigid river, supper, a camp fire, and sleep at night. The next morning, and early exit for the next hike.

I have to admit that I have found some ownership more pleasant than others (and I won't mention which ones!), but all have been more than welcoming and courteous to us and have always left us alone. I guess if you are planning to party, this is not the place to book.

For myself, I cannot wait to get back each year!

But, to each his own!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim G
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here for five nights the third week in August. our first night we set up at site 82 and it rained. the site was somewhat bowl shaped so asked if we could move next door to site #83. Management was totally accomodating. We moved to the really nice, sandy, level tent site #83 on a small brook that ran down from Beaver Pond. We liked the campground as there were not many people there. The campgound we clean and very quiet. You could hear trucks ocassionally going past on the road outside the campground but our view was of the mountains and the brook...couldn't see any traffic. We liked the proximity of the campgrounds to many of the local sights/things to do. Went hiking one day, did the Saco River two days and tried Cannon Mountain but was too cloudy and rainy to take the tram up the mountain. All in all a good experience and we would go back again.

Room Tip: hard to really tell what the tent sites look like from the little picture on the web site map.
2 Thank beachbons
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I have been to many campgrounds in quite a few provinces and states and this is by far my favourite one. We've visited for the past summers now and have pretty much adopted Crawford Notch Campground as our go-to place in New Hampshire. It provides what I've always wanted in a campground: a wooded site, *far* from neighbouring sites, in a beautiful location. The distance between camp sites is generous! As the owner put it to me, he wanted to create a place where, at night, the only thing you could see from your site were camp fires off in the distance, and that pretty much sums up what it's like. There are some beautiful sites bordering the Saco river, other very nice ones further back from it. The staff is friendly and *very* helpful and the location beautiful. There are some gorgeous hikes in the area. If you're looking for a campground that masks a real camping experience (full plumbing every three meters and huge plastic playground for the kids), you'll be disappointed. If, however, you want to be out in nature, enjoying the beauty and quiet of the White Mountains, you'll love this place. There are plenty of porta-potties and non-potable water pumps for washing dishes, etc. If you need potable water, just fill up some bottles at the dish washing station at the General Store on your way in each day and you're good to go for the night. It also has a great swimming hole in the crystal-clear and refreshing Saco river for the kids to play in, complete with a huge boulder for jumping into deeper water, and little tributaries of bubbling water for the kids to splash in.

The campground is on the 302, so if possible, choose a site closer to the river so that you don't hear lots of traffic at night, especially if you're tenting.

2 Thank middangeard
North Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our family looks forward to visiting every year. We try and secure a different site each time. I've worked and managed a campground in N.H. for ten yrs. I enjoy getting away from the seacoast if only for a weekend. We find the staff to very very helpful, and friendly. Our campground is located next to busy rt.1 ,so I'm aware of the traffic noise on 302. It doesn't deter us from having a restful night's sleep. I'm more cocerned about the sound of bears than vehicles. The grandkids love the tubing on the Saco and Samos by the campfire. Thanks again for a great experiance.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank exeterbob
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We have stayed here with friends, and as a couple, many times over the past 5 years. We typically go once or twice a year and have never had a bad experience. The bathrooms are clean, it's close to our favorite hiking spots, the store is always well stocked and our favorite out-of-the-way sites are private and maintained. These sites are also well coveted, so it's critical you reserve way ahead of time (we booked in April for a trip in August) and properly, and then follow up with them to make sure everything is secured. Sometimes the online system is not as "accurate" as you might think - I have made a request for a reservation before and then gotten an email saying that the site I picked was already reserved, even though when I sent the request it was still open. I imagine that even though the system is "online", the final reservation process is still managed by a person. So don't assume you have the site until you get the confirmation from the campground - doesn't mean you can't be proactive and touch base with them after your make the request. It saddens me that some people haven't had a good experience with this campground - I think it's one of the best maintained grounds we've ever stayed at and we look forward to continuing our annual tradition.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,242 reviews

Been to Crawford Notch General Store and Campground? Share your experiences!