Crawford Notch General Store and Campground
All reviewssaco riverporta pottiesgeneral storecrawford notchcamping experiencequiet hourspay showerswhite mountainsroad noiseriver frontahead of timegreat campingfire ringnumerous siteswooded siteseach morninglabor day weekend
Reviewed February 24, 2018

its good if you actually go in the back of the camp,because you are not next to the highway. there is a lot of stuff around. good store. i have been going here for 5 years now ,but after 5 years there isnt much. idk. i dont mind the quiet time. i dunno its cool.

Room Tip: DONT get the camps,yurts,and cabins near the highway . its kindof like a maze,so the first time i went to my campsite i was very lost.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2018

If I'm ever staying in the Crawford Notch area I'm gonna make sure to stay here. People have always been great and friendly, prices are great, campgrounds are well put together and nice, especially the riverside spots, which we always make sure to stay at. Nothing like falling asleep to the sound of a running stream, splashing around first thing in the morning, or looking up at the stars from the beautiful backdrop right outside your tent. We were lucky enough to see a lunar eclipse from this site once, and it was gorgeous with the small mountain in the background. One thing you should keep in mind is that as this is within the White Mountains National Forest, you wont be getting cell reception. Just make sure to plan for that. Luckily, the convenience store has a payphone which you can use if need be. It generally is only a short walk to the water and dish washing stations or outhouses, but that all depends on what site you pick up. Again, highly recommend the riverside sites. It's only a little more and it's well worth it.

Room Tip: Get a riverside site. It's only costs a little more and it's an experience you wont regret.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed January 8, 2018

Lovely spot - but we're not hikers or campers, so can't comment on anything but the store and the adjacent Willey House (weird story of landslide - people died because they left the house, house survived). Stopped for potty break, went in store, found fudge. Bought lots of fudge, ate fudge, dreamed of fudge. Fresh, creamy, great flavor. Of course, I was always seeking out maple nut fudge and I was not disappointed.

Room Tip: This is a campground, folks.
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2017

Stayed at Crawford Notch Campground Labor Day weekend 2017. Came in around noon knowing I was an hour early to check in. After reading reviews about the lady at the counter I was sure to tread very lightly. We did all the paperwork ahead of time, went down the street to the Willey house for an hour and came back just after 1pm, picked up our card key and went to our site. It was large, clean and the fire pits were very nice. We were at site 56. We're seasoned campers and usually camp at bare bones sites like the ones on the Kank. So the sites we're used to only have a hole in the ground for a toilet, a fire ring and a picnic table. Having nice, clean bathrooms, pay showers at the main bathhouse and clean porta-potties throughout was a treat for us. The bathrooms close from 12 to 2 every afternoon for cleaning. The porta-potties were clean when we arrived on Friday but were beginning to stink by Monday - still, they are a convenience.

I will echo some of the other reviews I have seen. Pay very close attention to check in and check out. Late fees apply. You can leave the grounds at any time. There is automatic gate that opens when you leave. You may NOT enter after 10pm or prior to 7am. Staff I spoke to were friendly. There are extra fees for dogs, extra cars, peak days, premium sites, etc.

The general store has a little of everything so you won't need to worry about that one item you forgot. My girls are 10 and 12 and it was great to be able to give them some independence and ride around the campgrounds or go to the store for some candy or soda. Very safe feeling.

If you are looking for peace and quiet do NOT BOOK a cabin or any of the sites near the road. There IS road noise and those sites are tightly packed in right near the dumpsters and bathhouse and store. If you're looking for a livelier more community, "campy" atmosphere, go for it. If you want a totally different camping experience from that, meaning closer to nature, the Saco, limited road noise and more space then you want to book out near the river or close to it.

The grounds themselves are very conveniently located near many great natural sites, local hikes and day trips. Overall we were extremely pleased with our experience and will definately be booking again. This time ON the river!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Carrie-Lee T
Reviewed August 23, 2017

My wife and I visited 3 times this year. This is the 11th year we have stayed at the campground, and never fail to enjoy our stay. The new owners, John and Alison, are friendly and helpful. For campers who don't care for the road noise, once again, all I can say is the floor of the notch is narrow, and there is not much room for a road, a river, and a campground- the road does go right by the campground, but honestly, we stay right near the road and don't find the noise objectionable. As campers who have been there many times, we offered feedback during our stays to help them as they get used to the best campground in the Whites! We are already planning out 2018 stays!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple