“Delicious food, over-priced, small portions”
Review of Equus Tavern - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mount Airy Road
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great food but no wonder it's closed. Way too expensive for very small portions. Delicious though. It's a shame when people get greedy regarding pricing. A mid-range price selection would draw bigger crowds. When will restaurants around here get this?
Oh and I'm also tired of the attitude you get when you don't have a reservation. My husband and I called last minute to see if any were available. We were given a somewhat bothered response that he guessed we could be accommodated. They sat us right next to the kitchen and the place was empty. Service was extremely slow too. Like we were bothering them.

1  Thank Cd P

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The decor of this place is great! I felt the food didn't warrant the prices.Portions were small.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We have tried Equus several times. The place looks fabulous. But we found the food to be unremarkable. The waiting staff is not exactly motivated as last time they dropped 2 things near our table. One of us ordered the scallops and a big plate came out with 5 small scallops without any vegetable, rice, potato. My male adult companion was not happy with that. The "Duck confit papardelli" tasted great (I love mushrooms) but the chef must have run out of duck : I put on my reading glasses and found 1 thin shred of duck in it, 1/2 inch long? We do not like to eat big portions, but the amount of food on our plates was very minimalistic. The bill is not minimalistic, it is always higher than other restaurants in the area. Also the menu is disappointing : many dishes come with cheese on top and 1/3 third of the entrees includes beef. Please skip the cheese and butter and red meat and offer healthy choices and serve some vegetables with the entrees!

1  Thank Wim V
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Up-scale restaurant with nice bar and attractive, high-ceiling, stone-walled dining room. Varied menu with good food, service and wine list.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Visited the Equus Tavern with my wife and two sons on the occasion of my son's birthday. Didn't know what to expect from a restaurant with a "Tavern" designation but it turned out to be an upscale restaurant with a tavern attached. It was constructed around a historic 1700's old stone inn. The decor is beautifully done, the waiter service was courteous/competant and the chef serves up some of the most creative and tasty cuisine in this area. Main dinner selections run in the $26-$29 range; not cheap but certainly not expensive.
Having had dinner there I can honestly say that this restaurant is nothing short of excellent and we will add it to our favorites list.