“It was a terrible experience and the visit was a mistake”
Review of Il Giardino - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to dinner at this restaurant last night (Saturday 3/16/13) with our friends.
The service was mediocre. The server Heime # 3 was arrogant and rude.
Our friend had a martini and was terrible. We did not bother to send it back.
We had to wait for our entree's for almost 1.5 hours. Entrees were finally brought to the table after many enquries and they were ok. We were told that the kitchen was backed-up due to a murder-mystery dinner and a party.
We asked to speak to manager and he did not even have the preofessionalism / courtesy to come by and we never saw him

The dessert Chocolate Mousse cake was mediocre.

Overall the night's experience at this restaurant was terrible!

3  Thank MorrisCountyGourmand

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife, daughter and I had dinner at this restaurant not too far from home. We had often thought about going to Il Giardino over the years but now we had a Groupon certificate as motivation to do so on a Saturday evening. We made an advance reservation even though it did not appear to be necessary when we arrived.

The service was good and the drinks, appetizers and entrees were brought to the table very quickly. I had the pork loin special, served in a fig type of sauce that was tasty and not to sweet though the pork itself could have been more tender. My daughter had a chicken dish she said was pretty good but my wife's seafood meal was not as good as she expected. The mozzarella caprese appetizer was OK but we have had better elsewhere and even make a better version ourselves at home. The balsamic vinegar seemed to be a typical brand right off of the supermarket shelf and not an aged selection from Modena, Italy one would expect to find at an upscale Italian restaurant like Il Giardino.

The restaurant was about half full. One thing we could not get over was the piano music. It was at such a high volume we could not converse comfortably even though we were sitting away from the piano. This was disturbing throughout what could otherwise been an enjoyable evening.

The restaurant is on the expensive side so we may return at some point but honestly there are many other local options that are as good or better, more relaxing in terms of being able to talk and hear and much less costly than this place. Plus we have several that have very good food but you can bring your own wine, which is not the case at Il Giardino. I cannot rate Il Giardino highly because it should have been better.

2  Thank Richard F
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Recent visit. Disinterested wait staff. Mediocre food. Wrote a nioce E-mail to owner to share our experience. WAited a month for acourstesy review and not even a response. So, go to Casa Vella in DEnville or Eccola in Parsippany or probably anywhere else.
Oh, we visited a night when it had snowed a little. Parkinbg lot was not plowed ... walks & steps were snow/ice covered.

1  Thank TXP2531
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have to start off saying we had a Groupon for this restaurant and it was a Monday night. So maybe that was the first two strikes for our experience at Il Giardino. It is literally 3 minutes from my home, but I have never eaten there before. I was looking forward to it, because if we had a good time we certainly would go there again. Not happening. Our waiter was not great. He would disappear and never followed through after the main course was served. After we put in our initial order for appetizers and entrees, he had to come back twice to tell us that half of what we ordered was not available. Any shrimp that we had (both in appetizers and entrees) was over cooked. Two in our party ordered the sea bass and when it was served to us, the server said here is your tilapia. Our waiter quickly said, no no that is sea bass. I am not a fish expert. But when I have had sea bass at other restaurants, it is a thicker squarer piece of fish. What we got looked and tasted exactly like. . . tilapia! It was tasty, but a small portion with over cooked shrimp. The men in the group ordered the veal chop and they were happy with it. When the waiter came with the bill and asked about our experience, I was honest and said the food was average and we most likely would not come back - and he had no response. The only thing I can truly praise about our experience at this restaurant was the guy who filled our water glasses - he did a great job!! I am actually torn between giving the place a poor rating and an average rating, I wish Trip Advisor had a fair rating. Because not everything was awful, just some elements. But I am still going with poor, because I am going to bet that was tilapia and not sea bass. . . not that it really matters, it just is not worth returning to.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and two little children went there to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. We've lived with in 7 minutes from this restaurant for nearly a decade, but never went because...well, no good reason other than it seemed expensive. Passing by it, it look like a posh place and beyond our means. Indeed, even stepping into the place, it has a sophisticated rustic ambiance. You need to dress somewhat nicely to fit in ( no T-shirts or jeans). The food was excellent and the service was also wonderful. There is piano music played on a baby grand which helps set the tone (not a real pianist, but a self-playing piano, but sounded great). We had the gnocchi, seafood fra diavolo and a seafood stew - all were among the best Italian food we have had in a long time. And for the quality of the food, we thought very reasonable.