“EXCELLENT CUBAN IN BERGEN COUNTY”

Azucar Cuban Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Azucar Cuban Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 46 Restaurants in Closter
Reviewed March 3, 2017

Stopped in for lunch yesterday.. From the hostess to the waiter.. Very friendly and professional. Started with a mojito and that was on point... The empanada was tasty as was the Cuban sandwich. They make their own hot sauce so be sure to ask for it.. It's amazing.. Def will be returning.. Great place !!!!!

1  Thank joeybb2016

Reviewed March 2, 2017

This new Cuban restaurant just opened locally. This was my first time here for lunch. The place was not packed during this snowy winter day so we were able to get a nice table for two near the front window without a reservation. The place was not crowded. Apparently the same menu is used for both lunch or dinner. Nice Cuban music is played in the background.

I started with my usual $13 Patron silver margarita, which was served in a small glass. I don’t like margaritas served in small glasses so I will not order another margarita here. Their Santa Rita chardonnay is $6 a glass. Our first drink bar service was a bit slow, which is typical for newly opened restaurants. I decided to have their Southern Tier Keg IPA draft beer from Lakewood N.Y. for $8 for my second drink. This was my first brew from Southern Tier Keg. It was ok. I have had better IPAs.

I enjoyed my Lylia’s Bistec de Palomilla with pan seared sirloin that is pounded thin and served with sautéed onions and rice for $19. The steak was cooked per my medium rare preference. Next time I may order it rare. The steak was quite large enough and filling. The steak was very tasty. I ordered it will the salad rather than the rice and beans. The salad was also good.

Bogden did an excellent job of serving our table needs. My bill was $84 without gratuities. We discovered that they do sell Cuban cigars here in the bar area. I will probably return here again when my Cuban desires increase.

Reviewed February 25, 2017

I have been twice thus far. Once for dinner and the other for lunch. Good and tasty on both occaisons. Cuban sandwich was excellent and the Ropa Vieja flavorful. Crochettas de Jamon were delicious and the red Sangria was the perfect compliment to the meal. Maduros were very good. Roasted Pork was juicy and tender. I was disappointed in the fried yuca and their version of guacamole.
Great atmosphere for old world setting. Lots of wooden panels.
Service needs to work out kinks because they are very slow to serve .
Dinner was crowded on a Wednesday night so weekends should be packed. Live Salsa music in the bar area on the weekends makes this place a sure to please night out.
Welcome to the neighborhood, Azucar!

Reviewed February 20, 2017

This Schraalenburgh site has bestowed the kiss of death on many a hapless restaurant business venture over the past 20 years and maybe Azucar will break the curse.

Azucar serves traditional Cuban fare as well as standard dishes with a Cuban accent. We went with traditional dishes. Overall, the food was pretty good, save the tamal appetizer that had enough salt to kill a horse.

The staff is pleasant enough but seems unaware of the diners' experience. The sound system was malfunctioning with the music jumping from loud to barely audible and distorted. The wait staff seems to be inexperienced and unsophisticated. Hopefully, these kinks will work themselves out; give them the benefit of the doubt since they just opened.

Buena suerte, Azucar!

1  Thank LifeIsG00dOnTheR0ad
Reviewed February 12, 2017

First time here. Family heard about the restaurant in the paper thought we wold give it try. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated with Cuban flair however.

Service was attentive once they got going. They sat use right away but we waited about 15 minutes before anyone introduced themselves as our waiter. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. They kept our water glass full. (This seems like trivial task but often restaurants make you wait for water.)

Once they saw that we were ready to order the service was incredible and very vigaliant. They kept checking in on us and even made sure our drinks were constantly filled.

Food was pretty good. We started with some appetizers "Tipicos Antojos Cubano". This app gave us a nice variety of everything on the starters menu. The chicken was wonderful and so was the tamales.
For the main course everyone in my family but me got the cuban sandwiches witch was delicious. Might be one of the better Cuban sandwiches I have had. I ordered the Ropa Vieja, which was okay. Nothing special a little bland on the flavors and the rice was a little over cooked and dry for my taste,

For dessert we ordered the rice pudding.....what can I say it was rice pudding again nothing special.

Over all this was a nice place to go to get some drinks and appetizers. I would try them again in a couple of months once they get the kinks worked out with their operations. I would like to try their fish dishes. Unfortunately they did have any fish on the menu when we went.