“Upgrade needed!”

Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We have stayed here several times because of the suites and location's convenience to relatives. Front desk staff is usually very helpful and friendly. Beds are very comfortable.
Hotel is a maze and some of the rooms are a very long walk from elevators. Elderly mom cannot make it without a wheelchair. Showers need more grab bars for safety.
During our most recent stay at this hotel we became acutely aware of the outdated and sometimes broken furnishings. Sofa bed, in particular was broken and unusable. This presented a problem, so the staff gave us a room across the hall (couch in that room was broken as well)
Great idea...except for the fact that my young teenage daughter was the one that had to move....and sleeping alone in a hotel room is worrisome, especially on the first floor.
Also considering the fact that on a previous visit to this hotel, the same daughter was showering, while the rest of us were at breakfast, and a housekeeper came into the room and started cleaning! The luggage was clearly still in the room, we hadn't checked out yet and it was only 9am! Needless to say, she was traumatized. Yes, they gave us a free night, but the emotional repercussions remain; it's creepy when a stranger enters your room while you're in the shower!
Also, the breakfast leaves much to be desired. First of all, breakfast ends too early on weekdays (9am). The fruit salad was slimy, the eggs rubbery, the coffee tasted like water.No waffles because the machine was broken.
Room furnishings (except for the beds) need attention/upgrading. Breakfast/coffee needs much improvement. Internet connection needs to be checked, as it is very slow. Better signage to help find the place is needed.
After all, this is a Hilton Hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank caffekilim

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed at this location for four nights while in town of business. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The location is kind of out of the way, but not so far it was difficult to get around. It is close to the Garden State Parkway for a quick commute.

The morning breakfast was good, as was the evening dinner, reception. The wireless Internet worked well in the rooms and lobby. Parking was free and the the area around the hotel was mostly residential.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I stayed at the Homewood Suites in NJ and found my stay to be great. The staff is very friendly and the hotel had everything I needed, great breakfast, dinner Monday thru Thursday, business center, close to NY city yet far enough to give me a feeling of a cozy community.

I only have two complaints, it was very difficult to find, I drove back and forth before I spotted it. The hotel sits back from the street and it is very easy to miss.The way the hotel has numbered the rooms is somewhat confusing, other than that, I loved it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Spent one night here because it was handy to my business meeting in the morning. If you are driving north on the Garden State Parkway, call for directions. Getting to the hotel when exiting the Parkway is a challenge. The first impression was a bit off-putting. Hotel sits back from the road and parking is an issue. Single front door was permanently ajar by several inches and appears to have been that way for a while. Property looks worn in the lobby and is not overly inviting. Check-in was professionally handled. Room is slightly smaller than a standard Homewood but was clean and comfortable. Took advantage of the free dinner – food quality was just average. Same thing can be said for breakfast. Having said all of this, the rate was attractive for this area of New Jersey. For a quick overnight, it was acceptable. Would not pick this property for a longer stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MVTeacher
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel when we went to NJ for my 30th HS reunion, though it is not the town I grew up in, it was near the venue where the reunion event was being held. For the money, this hotel meets your needs with a decent stay, though we tend to like a higher-end hotel, but there is no arguing about the value and the staff was courteous and helpful.

The good:

Near our reunion venue.
Near the train station with shuttle service to and from.
Near the highway.
Breakfast included & store at front desk for drinks & snacks.
Gym available.
Large size room/suite for your money with refrigerator, kitchen sink, coffee-maker.
While decor is somewhat dated, the rooms were very clean.

The bad:

Don't leave ANY valuables in your car. Our car was stolen during our stay when the hotel parking lot was full and we had to park in the adjacent assisted living facility lot (the Atria), which is apparently shared with the hotel. We accidentally left a 2nd copy of our car key (my husband had meant to give it to me but forgot) in the car which is how they stole it, otherwise it probably would have "just" been broken into. Lost a bag of paid bills, etc. too so this was a real hassle! But I can't really blame the hotel. They were more than accommodating and compensated us with a free room and free late checkout/early departure the next day - helped us call police and car rental agency. There were "park at your own risk" signs at the lot in which we parked, but we somehow didn't think it would be so risky at a Homewood Suites in Cranford, NJ. Well Cranford is not too far from Newark, the car theft capitol of the world, so I guess that's why you have to be careful. Again, I can't really blame the hotel, however, had there been enough spaces in the hotel lot when we came back from my HS reunion event, perhaps the car wouldn't have been broken into as that lot was busier might have deterred burglars.

More bad:

Confusing to find your room - hallways is a maze!
Lighting is all UV, the older flat-lighted type, so not very cozy.
Rooms, hotel in general is somewhat dated so decor leaves a lot to be desired, however it was certainly fine for the price charged.
Not enough parking when there are events (as explained above).
Being near train station and highway may be one reason thieves find the hotel convenient.
The ventilation system is older type so is noisy and I was very much aware when it was on or off during its cycles. I was either too hot or too cold and didn't sleep well.
Bed was fine for price but could have been more comfortable (older mattresses?).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HerbyD428
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Conveniently located just off the Garden State Parkway, the Homewood Suites was a logical choice for a recent trip to the Cranford area for some family business. However, the layout of the property is a bit confusing (ask for a floor map or "leave a trail of breadcrumbs") and the rooms very worn out. They need an extensive renovation to bring it up to a reasonable standard.

When we first checked in, they gave us a room with a broken central AC unit and a small (ill-fitting) window air conditioner duct-taped in place (since the unit wasn’t the right size for that window, they had to use duct tape to seal the rest of the opening ... the unit didn't seem big enough to adequately cool a room of that size). We called this to the front desk attendant’s attention and she got us a new room … but, why did they try to pass that off to us in the first place?

Until they do some well needed renovation, I’d suggest staying here only if there are no other choices in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MassCouple2
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Wednesday night and Thursday morning (6 a.m.) there were fire alarms that were obviously false alarms, given that the fire department personnel showed up in shorts rather than protective gear. One of the firefighters told my colleague that they had been to the hotel 6 times that week. It's one thing when the fire alarm goes off because a guest burns their popcorn; it's another thing altogether when the fire alarm goes off numerous times in a week for no apparent reason. This is a management issue, and needs to be addressed.
Other than this, I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DKS716
Miguel C, General Manager at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. Because travel is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at The Homewood Suites Cranford NJ. I apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay and that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve. I can assure you that I to became frustrated with the ongoing issue. I was able to escalate the problem to a senor technician and finally bring it to a conclusion. We will use your valuable feedback as a tool to grow from and appreciate your time. If you would like to contact me, I could be reached at 908-709-1980. I do hope that you will give us another try. Thank you again for your comments on this review!

Miguel Colon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
4.1 km away
4.6 km away
Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites
31.1 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area

Been to Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford? Share your experiences!