“I come here all the time!”

Sogo Hibachi and Sushi Lounge
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Reviewed August 24, 2017

I love the food and drinks here. The sushi is always quality. The hibachi room is really fun when you have a large group, the chefs do a great job and it's always delicious. Out back on the patio has a really night atmosphere, except it can get a little buggy around dusk. The bar also has quick service and friendly staff.

1  Thank Chelsea M

Reviewed August 17, 2017

While the name says hibachi, SoGo has a full sushi menu and it's fresh and tasty. We took a table on the back patio with a lovely view of the river behind. The wine menu was great, which is rare for a good Japanese restaurant. We enjoyed our summer evening sipping crisp pinot grigio while noshing on excellent sushi.

While the fish is fresh, the sushi menu is limited unless you like new and different rolls. A big plus was that my friend was able to order a hibachi meal on the patio while the rest of us ate sushi.

Service was a little slow but everyone was very friendly.

2  Thank Rosemary L
Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

We love the hibachi tables - and the chefs do all of the classics that you're expecting - the flaming onion tower, flipping the shrimp tails into their hats, flipping food to catch in your mouth, etc. The grilled food is delicious - chicken, steak, shrimp - and do the upcharge for the fried rice - it's worth it! This a place we love for celebrating special occasions with a group.

1  Thank MBDinNJ
Reviewed July 16, 2017

Hard to believe it's been well over a year since our last visit.
We came for dinner and decided on Hibachi, rather than Sushi.
There were only few tables occupied and we were seated across from a trio, a lady celebrating her birthday with two male companions. My place was sticky, so I moved to the other side of my husband. Told the waitress about the mess (a spilled dried up drink) and she just said "OK"!

We ordered drinks, I had a cocktail, my husband ordered Japanese beer. We put in our order for entrees and waited. It took quite some time until the chef arrived to the table. I think they hoped for more people to be seated at our table before they'd start the show.

The chef was actually trying to entertain and started with the high flames, so high and wide it makes you move back in your seat instinctively. He did all kinds of other tricks, throwing some shrimp pieces at the Birthday lady. When she caught it in her mouth he proceeded to spray thin stream of beer out of a plastic bottle across the table into her mouth until she signaled him to stop. That night the lady drank a lot of Sapporo out of a plastic bottle while we waited for our food to be cooked.

This new addition to the cooking show ( spraying the beer) was less than appetizing, hard to watch and probably a reason why I would not return.

We had a decent soup and Edamame to start, grilled chicken to follow. The noodles included with the entree were served at a much smaller serving than in the years past and the fried rice had to be ordered separately. The chicken was tough, the vegetables skimpy, the noodles and the fried rice were the best part of the dinner.

I don't remember what the bill came to, but it was way too much for a bit of noodles and decent serving of fried rice.

Maybe we were just not in the right mood for the "tacky" show with the beer being sprayed in peoples' mouth and all over the counter.
Oh, and with few others celebrating birthdays at other tables, they hit the gong behind me with full force several times. My ears were ringing:)
It could almost be funny, if it was not so bad....

3  Thank Wenovo
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

Family dinner for Father's Day. Everyone enjoyed the cooking show. Modern decor. Food was typical Hibachi.