“Amazing food... never disappoints”
Review of Casual Habana Cafe

Casual Habana Cafe
Ranked #2 of 184 Restaurants in Hackensack
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has become our go-to spot. Great food, great staff, and consistent. Wish delivery was available more, but we don’t mind driving over. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed April 29, 2018

interesting place, food was better than average, and we went on a sunday, and it seemed the prices were better on the check than on the menu. very confusing. happy hour only at the bar, but the bar is really small, only saw 5 people there, plus one of the workers sitting. service was good but we were freezing, and they had the front picture window open the whole time. no one complained, but when we asked 3 different people, all said they would close it, but it never happened. everyone had jackets on, and we just wanted to leave as soon as we ate. understand having the window open, like you are dining outside, but not when its 50 degrees and windy. and don't say you are closing it, whether all the way or partially, and then not do it. bus boy cleared the table too soon, i had no plate to eat off of by the end. i just wanted to leave.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank markj379
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

The renovation is done and Casual Habana has reopened in Hackensack. The new look is still very warm and inviting with the exposed brick walls and old fashioned ceiling fans but they have a lot less tables because they installed a full-size bar now that they have a liquor license. What tables they have, they squeezed in so you are basically sitting on top of each other. Don't plan on having any private conversations. That being said, the food is still delicious though it seems the prices increased a bit and the menu has gone a little bit more upscale. I had a delicious red snapper fillet in a lime sauce with a side of twice-fried plantains with a garlic type sauce that was to die for and french fries. My daughter had the skirt steak which was very flavorful and tender with her usual rice and black beans. My husband had the baby pernil and shared a bite with me, it was crispy, flavorful and juicy. Make sure you make a reservation because by 6 it was packed.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed March 7, 2018

Stopped there for the first time when we were in NJ. Had the Arroz con Pollo and flan. My daughter had tilapia and some type of dessert with panna cotta and guava fruit. For an appetizer we ordered the tostones which were wonderful. I thought the chicken and rice was very good. The chicken was a bit on the dry side and unseasoned. However, overall portions were large and we ate every bite! The beans they served as a side were excellent too. The flan was superb and my daughter liked her fish entree and dessert also. We would definitely go back if we happen to be in that area of NJ again. The only thing we didn't like was that there was some kind of large group having a party get together and we were seated literally right next to them. They were very loud and it was kind of annoying having to listen to them carrying on the entire time we were there when there were plenty of other seats far away from the group where we could have had some privacy.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed February 14, 2018

We’ve been coming to this restaurant since it opened about 10 years ago. We’ve brought many of our friends who have now also become regulars. It’s one of our “Top 3”, but since the installation of the bar, I must say I’m not pleased with the end result. There are now less tables, the one we were seated at was in the corner, which used to be fine, except now, you are practically sitting in the back area by the kitchen. (Plenty of other tables were open at the time we arrived as almost half the restaurant was empty). The view of a mop, cartons and other things I don’t need to view when I’m in a restaurant eating dinner were ,all within eye-range of our seats. Along with the noise from the kitchen and the waitstaff standing there....I need to say; it was not a pleasant experience. The prices are about the same or perhaps a dollar higher, except the portion size is smaller. The shrimp dish I usually get used to contain a large portion of the crusteaseans, now.....6 was all I got. The food is still great——there’s just less of it on your plate. With the addition of the bar, this is no longer a BYOB......obviously. We used to enjoy bringing in our own beer or wine and having the owner, Benny, sit down, speak with us and knock one back. After all these years I’d say he should offer us a free pitcher of sangria, a beer, glass of wine or something, as loyal, long time customers and to “aquaint” us with the bar. The other location in New Milford has a full bar, and I’m so very disappointed that they did not leave this location as a “BYOB”. I used to get emails about specials and birthday offers, but no more. I get it......it’s all about the bottom line.

Date of visit: December 2017