“Absolutley HORRIBLE!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Absolutley HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

This place is located across the street from a ghetto, with drug addicts and prostitutes surounding the area. I sent my brother here w/his little boy for a quick overnight before catching a flight. I am so upset that they had to stay here and I feel so guilty for sending them here. They should really tell you the neighborhood hotels are in before you go there. He also said the room smelled of car fluids and when he asked for a different room, they wouldn't accomodate him.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
6 Thank epc1212
parkwayhospitality, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We are very sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your lodging expectations.

I am very disappointed to hear that our staff was unable to address and resolve all of your concerns in a timely and effective manner. Customers consistently rate our staff highly in on-site surveys for being personable, helpful and empathetic. Moreover, our hotel consistently ranks at the highest in franchise QA inspections which does take odor and cleanliness into consideration. We have obviously failed in our responsibility of providing you with a pleasurable experience and for that, please accept my sincerely apologies.

With regard to the safety concerns you raised, while we understand and respect your opinion of the neighborhood which the hotel is in, I want to take an opportunity to let you know that we do consider the safety of guests our most important priority and responsibility. While we can not influence circumstances outside of management's control (e.g. Surrounding neighborhood), we do employ a 24-hour staff which monitors the hotel grounds for guest safety using various technologies and procedures. We also work closely with local authorities to ensure that our guests are afforded the utmost security and comfort while staying with us.

On behalf of the hotel's employees and management, I want to convey my humble apologies to you because we were not able to meet your lodging expectations. My staff and I sincerely hope you give us another chance at earning your patronage so we can prove that our hotel offers a superior value proposition amongst all our peer Newark Airport hotels.

Best Regards,
A. Naik - Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We walked into the hotel at 9:40pm after calling ahead to confirm they had rooms available. I was told the rate would be $70 for the night on the phone. We went to the front desk (which is covered by glass), and told the man I had just called and we would like a room for the NIGHT. He took our information and the credit card. It ended up totaling $53, I thought fantastic! The room was clean except for the electrical wires that were hanging out behind the toilet. We were heading into NYC the next morning and needed to get up pretty early. So, the phone rings at 12:45am and the man tells us that it is our checkout time. I was very upset, apparently the original front desk guy only booked us for 4 hours when I had asked for a room for the night. Needless to say I was so upset I made it clear it was their mistake not mine and I refused to pay another $53 for the rest of the night. He gave us the "best" rate of an additional $2, which the housekeeper came and picked up at 1am. Then, at 3am some random guy was knocking on the hotel room door and all he said was "oops wrong room". I was very upset and I refuse to ever step foot into another one of these hotels.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel unless you only need a room for 4 hours...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bknute3
parkwayhospitality, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
On behalf of the hotel's management and staff, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience while staying at the hotel. While we strive to make every guest's stay at our hotel pleasant, we do fail to meet this standard occasionally.

I am personally extremely disappointed to hear of the issues you had during your stay. The issues you faced are unacceptable and management will review guest procedures with the front desk staff to avoid these errors in the future. Additionally, to be able to resolve these issues, please contact the hotel's manager directly so you can share your experiences in greater detail. The manager's direct phone number is 973-375-4102 ext. 260.

Again, we regret causing you any dissatisfaction while you stayed with us and we hope you will give our staff another opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future visit.

Best Regards,
A. Naik - Manager
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

My wife and I got a last minute Virgin Atlantic flight to Newark and its was the 8.25pm out of Heathrow meaning we landed in Newark about 11.30pm local time. AS it was last minute we thought we could find somewhere cheap to stay around the airport for the night and then head to Washington (where we were meant to be going) the next day.

When we landed I phoned all the usual places, (Sheraton, Holiday Inn etc) and they are either really expensive or full. I phoned The Best Value Inn as a last resort and they had a double room for $70.00 and as my wife and I were exhausted we took it. So now to get there.... and this was really the only bad expeience we had. The guy on the phone said the shuttle bus would get us in 20 minutes, this then turned to 30 and then 40 and then he finally turned up. We then had to wait for some other guests and all in all it took us an hour to get to the hotel from the airport.

Once at the hotel, they reduced our room rate to $54 to say sorry for the delay and gave us a bigger room. Yes its not next to the airport but its only about 10 minutes away and the area wasn't that bad, we were just grateful for a bed. The area was quiet and the room was very clean and big. The bed was very nice to sleep on and breakfast was included in the price.

We were only there for 8 hours and the experience was very pleasent and in the morning the shuttle took us back to the airport and it only took 10 minutes. Nice clean hotel that helped us out at the last minute and for that we would gladly stay here again if we had to go to Newark.

Please be aware, on first impressions at 2 in the morning it does look a little shabby but its really nice and the staff are very friendly! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

It was a good choice, quality/price for the need of taking a flight the next day. They picked us at the airport and brought us back the next day. The rooms was large with a comfortable bed and good service. The small breakfast was excellent!.
The only negative thing was the smell in the hall

Room Tip: you can book on line
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Vineland, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I arrived at the hotel after spending the whole day in NYC, and the staff that greeted me was very nice and helped me very quickly, my room was very roomy and clean. The bed was soooo comfortable I felt asleep immediately. i woke up early for breakfast (which is offered free with room stay) and was pleseantly surprised with the display....nooo we didn't get bacon and eggs but it was filling. i did not like the way the people cleaning the breakfast area were sorta rude and the language barrier did not help. If you have plan to eat, make sure you get there before 9:00...they are not kidding when they say breakfast is DONE at 9am....I did not use their airport shuttle but i did see a very nice van parked outside that stated it was the shuttle to the airport. Getting there is a little tricky, if you are not familiar you an get lost quickly, the hotel is right at the exit. the area is not the best, but if you drive a little ways down, you will find many restaurants as IHOP, Papa Johns , etc. I would stay here again, and recommend my family and friends to stay here.

Room Tip: comfortable, best value,
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
South Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

Where do I begin? The Hotel is in the worst neighborhood. At night there are all types of characters in the parking lot.
The room was worn out. The carpets were freyed. The TV was 20 years old. The internet access is not working. When I called the desk they told me I had to wait awhile. Luckilly there is a Comcast Hotspot close by. If you are a Man traveling alone and can handle yourself then you could stay there. I would not allow my wife or daughters to stay in a place like that. It's a bad hotel in a bad neighborhood in a bad town. Stay away. I'm not saying anything about the people that run it. I'm sure in their country it would be considered a luxury hotel. It is what is is, but I cannot in good conscience recommend this place. I felt the need to review, and normally don't. Beware! I warned you.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank RandyO
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

This hotel is VERY clean, I have been to fancier places but not cleaner. I would recommend this to anyone who wants clean and nice lodging but does not need a fancy place. Very nice staff, extremely clean and well cared for. VERY good value

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Newark Central Business District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Comfort Suites Newark
#13 of 16 in Newark

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!