“Rooms with a view” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Asbury Park, New Jersey
“Rooms with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. All the rooms have views of either the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty. The hotel is situated across the river from ground zero. There is a path station right next to the hotel so getting into the city is quick and easy. Rooms are modern and a nice size. Can hear people inthe hallways talking. Our bed was very worn out. You culd see big indentations in mattress when bed was made. And you could feel them when you got in it. This was the only issue I had with the hotel. Everything else was updated, it was disappointing to have such a worn out mattress. Usually look forward to big comfy hotel mattresses. On the upside, the lobby bar had great views.Overall it was a great stay. Also be aware that overnight parking is $32 for hotel guests. So add that to the cost of the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and pick which view you would like.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JeannieStu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Used to travel to NYC a fair bit as the husband was based there for work & always stayed near Penn Station/Madison Square Garden area. However on this occasion we needed to stay in Jersey (which we had always considered the wrong side of the water!). What a pleasant surprise we had....it was so, so quiet!! We were so close to NYC and we could sleep!! Never underestimate the power of New York traffic at 3AM if you are a light sleeper...even on the 20th storey of some hotels! The views were amazing - you have to get on the ferry to experience it otherwise & to wake up to it was special to say the least. The subway is one stop from WTC and therefore the rest of Manhattan is easily accessible. Not much of an atmosphere in the hotel itself but the staff could not have been more helpful. Would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank LeKaren
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have just booked two rooms at this hotel for a two night stay this coming October. Because of the advance purchase room rate, full payment was taken immediately. Checking my credit card statement I found that an additional 463 dollars was charged to my credit card ten days after I received the booking confirmation.
Concerned that someone was misusing my credit card, I decided to contact the hotel immediately. On the Hyatt website I found an email address for reservation assistance - concierge@hyatt .com - and sent an email querying the charge, asking for a prompt response in case I needed to cancel my credit card. After several hours of hearing nothing from them, I looked for other email options and complained to the website feedback guys and also on a stay feedback form. I also tried to use the e-concierge facility to raise my complaint but it was down for scheduled maintenance.
Hearing nothing ,I emailed concierge@hyatt .com again 24 hours later (even now, four days later I have not had any response from them). The following morning I faxed the manager at the Hyatt Regency New Jersey but again received no response, so finally decided I’d better let my credit card provider know and called their Unrecognised Transactions team. They called someone at Hyatt and connected me to them. She was able to explain everything, matter of fact and unapologetically…
I was told that when they took payment for the two rooms, they attached the whole 920 dollars to just one room. Ten days later someone noticed that the other room had not been paid for so they just helped themselves to another 460 dollars. No explanation or apology was offered for messing up a booking for 2 rooms for 2 nights, or for failing to correct the error in a sensible manner, or for helping themselves to more of my money, or for not bothering to tell me what was going on and leaving me to worry that my credit card was being abused, or for ignoring my 2 emails, 2 feedback forms and a fax.
I now have two fully paid rooms, one of which has a 460 dollar room credit waiting to surprise me on my arrival in 8 months time. I am optimistic they will not continue to take 460 dollars from me every 10 days and surprise me with a twelve thousand dollar room credit in October. I have asked for an immediate refund of the credit and await my next credit card statement with bated breath

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Chris810
Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I had the pleaseure to stay 3 weks so plenty of time to get the know the place and the staff. very pleasent rooms serviced to a high standard. There is a gym and pool for those inclined. The restaurant has a good food and wine menu with stunning views down the Hudson and across to Manhatten and the WTC and also to the Statue of liberty if you look closely. There is a bar frequented by both guest and the public which provides a good atmosphere, with watchfull barstaff (thank you Mr K, Sabrina and Dave).
The PATH metro is just outside the hotel with trains to WTC and NJ. Cabs across the state line into NY are expensive as are the hotel cars. You can also cross the Hudson by boat.
The wifi policy is a jokje with charging by the ip address, so you get charged for each item of equipment by the day, which is expensive and a silly oversight for this hotel. Otherwise a very pleasent stay and I would stay again.

Another review by rolfe the reviewer - feb 12

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rolf02
Northfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My first visit to the Hyatt. The hotel lobby is only so-so however the location, view, and room are suburb.
We had free buffet breakfest with our room rate. If you don't get it free, I do not recommend it. It was ok, but not worth the $20 price.
Had a few minor problems which the very professional manager Misty did accomadate us the next d
I will go back to this Hyatt as I felt the room was beautiful and the staff professional.

Room Tip: I don't think you can get a bad room here. I believe all the rooms are waterfront.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank crlauman
Holmdel, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Everything were pretty well said by previous recent reviews. Just wants to add few tips. I stayed here on 02/18 long weekend due to work related next door. My room was on the Fouth floor with partial obstructed view of NYC by the roof. Therefore, besure to request a room on the fifth floor and above for a better view of NYC. My only complaint was when I checking in ( 3pm ), I had told the girl on the front desk for a quiet room that away from the elevators and ice machine. That request was not granted when I arrived at my room. I let it go because I was late for a meeting and I know I will not return to the room until 3 in the morning. Other than that, the room was clean and the value was great. One last note, a single female may feel a little uncomfortable of the surrounding area after dark and weekend ( Ghost town feeling ).

Room Tip: Request a room that located on the filth floor and above for a better view of NYC.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Castle88
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is a new-ish hotel. Rooms were quite clean and huge and we had a great view of Manhattan. I loved that the Path train was right next to the hotel so getting to NYC was a cinch. The "boardwalk" was also delightful though the area was a ghost town after 6pm during the week. Room servcie was great - Best burger I had had in a long time. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1.6 km away
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#4 of 13 in Jersey City

Been to Hyatt Regency Jersey City? Share your experiences!