“Breakfast Routine”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2018

When I travel on business, I try not to do room service (what a waste of $$) and avoid chain restaurants. This is my third year coming to Jersey City (staying at Hyatt Regency) and now my third time coming to City Diner for breakfast. This is not the "stereotypical" diner -- but it ranks as a great spot for breakfast (oh, I love the Greek diner scene). It's becoming a routine. Today was the Denver omelet with rye toast and home fries. I still can taste the great ham in the omelet. Coffee is spot on (I do not like Starbucks). Today there was the stereotype of a Jersey guy eating -- the accent, the jogging suit, AND the huge gold chain around his neck. Oh, if I could have taken a picture. Next to him was a group of doctors talking shop. City Diner is great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Great menu. I'll be heading back for breakfast tomorrow before I head back to Dallas. May have the Monte Cristo...

1  Thank Liz K

Reviewed March 26, 2018

The menu is varied, breakfast served all day. Staff is very nice and efficient. The big attraction is portions. Most entrees are in the $15 range but come with $20 or more worth of food. Many ingredients home made. I wanted to give them a 5 but I couldn't. Why? Corned beef. One of the two nights I visited I ordered a soup and sandwich combo (which came with a house salad for $12?!?!?) and the corned beef was fatty and overcooked. If you are going to serve corned beef anywhere close to Brooklyn it has to be decent! That said, it's a strong 4 and a solid no-frills dining option (worth noting is a full bar)

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

City Diner has become a Jersey City institution! It is a 24/7 staple. This isn't your father's diner. The interior is decorated like a high end Vegas hotel. You can't go wrong anything in the enormous Bible of a menu. Coffee is spot on. Service is terrific. What more can you ask for? Oh, they have a fully stocked bar with beers on tap. Boom! Try the pastrami

Reviewed March 15, 2018

My family and I visit here often for a meal. Their pancakes are perfect. I've eaten them without syrup. Their Monte Cristo is delicious as is their chicken and waffles (choose boneless or with the bone). My sister prefers the boneless and it looks delicious. Their wings are great (my brother always gets the thai fingers). Its a good place to eat. Oh I almost forgot their fresh corned beef hash! Ohhh thats good! Really good. Theres no way you wouldn't be pleased with City DIner. They have a lot of workers; runners and waiters because they're often busy so just be mindful of that. Everyone is always willing to help you which I really appreciate. Lastly, if you want something fatty, try the sweet potato fries with the pulled pork on top. Make sure the pulled pork is hot otherwise it won't be as good as it should be.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Wish I found this place earlier. I wouldn’t have used the crappy expensive hotel late night service. Great ambience, fantastic food and open 24hrs. A must visit