“Amazing pizza; service spotty”
Review of Lombardi Pizza Co.

Lombardi Pizza Co.
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Martinsville
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Our family has been to Lombardi at least a dozen times and we keep returning because of the great pizza. We have probably tried 80% of the pizzas - favorites are Nomad, Adriana, Zoe, Daphne and any specials that they may have. The arancini are tasty (not the huge arancini of some italian restaurants, but more of the small meatball size) and the Pear Salad and the Caesar Salad are a great way to start any meal. Desserts are tasty - Nutella Boli and Cinnamon Fries! Love the decor - rustic, but not too much, and relaxed.
My only issue is the service, in particular last night. I knew that we would arrive on the late side (they close at 9) so I called to confirm that they were open and they assured me that they were and that we just needed to order by 9. We arrived at 8:30 and the place was packed (which was odd in our experience there for a Wednesday night). The hostess took at least 10 minutes to come to us, as we were standing there wondering if they were going to seat us or turn us away. She finally took our name but then didn't address us again until after 9, at which point she told us that we could wait but that it would be a "very long time" and that they already closed at 9. I reminded her that we had been there since 8:30 and that she should have said something if she didn't want us to wait (since she mentioned that they were already closed). She said that she could only seat us if we split up our party of 5. I told her that we didn't want to do that and she came back a few minutes later and said that she could seat us shortly. We eventually sat down.
I was just disappointed because she/the restaurant handled this so poorly. It was obvious that all of the other diners knew each other (they were walking from table to table talking and sharing food, and they were all in the exact same point of their meal) so there must have been some sort of event going on. They should have either closed the restaurant or they should have told us when we arrived that it would be a long wait (as I said, she never mentioned wait time until we had been there for over 30 minutes already). We would have just ordered pizzas to take out....

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Had this pizza several years ago at a golf tournament off a truck and always wanted to try the actual restaurant - finally got here.
Top notch all around - service was quick and friendly, dining room is casual and clean and the pizza was fantastic - we tried three different kinds all were excellent as was the Caesar salad. Also loved the fresh basil plants in the kitchen.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

You can't walk a mile in New Jersey without stumbling over half a dozen average, boring slices of American/New York-style pizza. Neapolitan style pizza, or as they call it in Italy, "actual pizza" is a revelation and puts to shame all those greasy slabs of bread and sauce you've been sadly eating for years. I loved Pizza Vita in Summit for years until tasting Lombardi's pizza. This is the genuine article and presented in a cool, laid-back setting. They grow their own basil, the wood fired oven is stocked by a woodpile outside the front door, and the ingredients are all beyond reproach. I am really stoked that they've diversified the menu and added pasta and some more interesting desserts like gelato (which is crazy-good). As for pizzas, the Nomad is my favorite, but any with spicy sausage is good too...really you can't make a bad choice.
The arancini are delicious, the salads are fresh and help to mitigate all the dough and cheese you are about to consume, and it's BYO so be sure to hit Spirits of the Valley just down the street for some beer/wine first! The wait staff is friendly and accommodating, even when the place is packed. I go with 3 year old in tow, so we usually show up right after they open...a good time to beat the crowds. We used to drive 25 minutes to come here, but recently moved a stone's throw away from this place...I'd be a liar if I said the pizza didn't play a part in the moving equation. This place would be labeled the best in NJ if people weren't so stuck on the nostalgia of those historic NJ pizza joints that we've all heard too much about. I'm still trying to convince my wife to hire their mobile pizza truck for a party, but it's a little pricey. Go here now, go often, and you will not be disappointed. Oh, and stop eating all that other horrible stuff posing as pizza!

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

This is really well-made pizza. I agree with other reviewers that it is a bit pricey for the pizza size.

We had excellent service (go at off-hours).

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Best Pizza "Hands Down" in this area. We are usually here most Friday Nites. We love this place. We usually have to wait 20 mins or so for a table but it is always worth the wait. And, it's a BYOB!!!