“Really good, but careful with the spice levels!”

Pho Thai-Lao Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Maywood
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Local Family Run Restaurant.
Reviewed October 20, 2016 via mobile

We had lunch at this small Thai/Lao place close to an Asian grocery specializing in Thai foodstuffs, and our meal was quite good. They only had lunch specials, though, and we were a bit disappointed that we couldn't try the dishes recommended in several newspaper reviews, especially the lao crepes. I had the Thai-Lao rice noodle soup and loved it. The broth was very light but flavorful and unique, something I'd never tried before in a "regular" Thai resto. The hubby had the red curry, which was like your usual red curry but made more vibrant with chopped lime leaf. So good. The hubby and I also shared a pad thai, which was still ok but a bit of a letdown compared to the other two dishes.

Word of warning: the server will ask you for the spice level, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. 1 doesn't mean mild--it means Tabasco hot! We got a 2, which was already plenty spicy.

Reviewed September 1, 2016 via mobile

This wonderful Lao and Thai restaurant brings an authentic cuisine at a very affordable price

Every dish I've had is quite good; the owners know their regulars and take special care of them

Reviewed June 29, 2016

This mom and pop restaurant brings traditional Thai and Lao dishes to our little Maywood town. The dishes boast with flavor and there is always extra kick to the spiciness.
I've tried most of the items on the menu, my son loves the chicken wings appetizer with sticky rice, but I'm usually going for either the soft shell crab, the frog legs or the whole fish with either the basil or ginger sauce.

Reviewed June 21, 2016

I was overcharged by over $35 for a takeout order. I brought my order home and looked at their takeout menu and realized the mistake. I called them and I asked to talk to the manager. I couldn't understand a word she said when I tried to explain their error. They charged me for entrees when I ordered appetizers, left out one part of the order and rudely insisted that one dish I ordered came only as an entree, when their menu clearly shows it as an appetizer. I asked if their menu had changed and she did, or pretended to, not understand me! I realized that talking to this woman was futile. She didn't speak English well and I was wasting my time. So, I am out $35++ and the food was awful. Don't order from this place. I never again will and told her that, of course,it didn't matter to her.

Reviewed May 30, 2016 via mobile

Once you enter the restaurant owners referred to as Mom and Pop make you feel at home. Dishes are prepared while you wait. Everything is very fresh. The owners ensure that you are greeted and served. The wait is sometimes long but you understand they prepare your meals fresh nothing frozen. The two owners prepare every dish them selves.
A must as an appetizer, are their Lao Crepes. Another must is their dessert Kunum crust, might be spelled wrong but if you ask they will know. Excellent place that will have you coming back for more.
Least I forget they make a Thai soup that will have you ordering it even on a hot summer day. Chicken and Shrimp Tum Young.