“Good French Toast”

Food Evolution
Ranked #6 of 34 Restaurants in Montvale
Cuisines: Albanian
Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

We weren't sure if they had breakfast because we couldn't find a breakfast menu online, but we stopped in anyway. The French Toast was thick and crispy with just the right amount of cinnamon. They have the best apple juice I've ever tried. I would go back and eat here again.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

The food was quick and tasty. I had a bowl with vegetables and a 3 grain blend. My husband had a hamburger. The coffee I ordered was disappointing, and was more latte than cappuccino. But a decent place for a quick healthy lunch!

Reviewed September 6, 2017

The 'drunken goat burger' was superb and the salads were excellent. The signage to this place is really underwhelming and we only went there on recommendation from someone else. It would have been so easy not to give this place a second look from the outside. So glad we did. Great service.

Reviewed July 26, 2017

FOOD EVOLUTION (Montvale, NJ)

Located in a strip mall, I had seen Food Evolution a number of times when I did my banking nearby and wondered what it was. Unfortunately you would have no idea from the sign - which is impossible to see from the road and which, even if you come across it by being right on top of it as I was - tells you nothing about what’s inside: is this a restaurant? a test kitchen? You’d have to know where this place was and what it was unless someone sent you there or, like me, curiosity got the best of you and you decided to just stop in and see (Note to owner: consider changing that sign - if not the name: bigger lettering and providing some idea that this is a “healthier eating” restaurant so people know who and what you are - trust me - the sign is doing you no favors).

Having gone into Food Evolution, I was greeted by manager “Richard” who could not be friendlier and who looks like some actor whom I could not place but is definitely NOT Larry David as Richard said people sometimes tell him.

Looking over the posted menu, I saw some very enticing and healthy choices (see attached photos for pics of the menu). There is a nice selection of salads, burgers and sides to go with them.

I decided to go for the “Drunken Goat” burger made with goat cheese and caramelized onions - available as either a veggie burger or made with a choice of beef or turkey. I decided to be bad and try the beef Drunken Goat. Burgers are available as single patties ($9) or double patties ($11.50) On Richard’s (who really DOESN’T look like Larry David) suggestion, I went for the single patty for the $9. Also on Richard’s suggestion,
I decided to be brave and try the Truffle Tater Tots - potato tots sprinkled with parmesan cheese and a hint of truffle sauce ($3.50 for a portion). Fountain sodas are a reasonable $2.50 for a 16oz. size. I took my order to go.

Upon arriving at my destination and opening up my order, I was a little disappointed to see the tater tots portion - a mere 12 tots as though they had been counted out to make an even dozen. I think they could have done better on the portion size. The burger also looked a bit small. When put together on a plate (photo attached), it didn’t look like very much for the $13.36 I had paid for it. That being said, I have to tell you the Drunken Goat burger was delicious! They hadn’t asked me how I liked it cooked (and I forgot to say) but it was done medium-well and was perfect - the caramelized onions adding a savory flavor that made me wish there was more of it. The Truffle Tater Tots were also delicious and again - I just wish there had been more of them.

Bottom line: bad signage and smaller-than-I-would-like portions aside - I will definitely return to Food Evolution and try some of their other unique creations. Give them a try - just ask them for an extra few tater tots and please don’t tell Richard he looks like Larry David ;-)

Reviewed June 28, 2017

Went here to check out the food, and was glad we went. Food was fresh, organic, and gluten free if need be, and some great choices