“A disapointing vist”

Evelyn's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Evelyn's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 232 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2018

Ok, I have been here before with a better experience, this time it was disaster. It was a Saturday and it was a open house for admitted students at RU. I called from the book store to see if they were busy and if I could get a nice table in their courtyard, no problem, you think they would set a nice table. We arrived it was not busy and was told we could sit wherever, we sat at table and it took just a heart beat to decide to leave. First impression are everything and the ambiance of the place was just totally off. Tables cluttered and not bused clean, quiet with no music playing it was like walking into a picnic at a cemetery. Would I go back? maybe after I try some other venues first.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank PaulieWalnuts12

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

Chicken Gyro platter was overpriced for 16 bucks. Add on salad for 3 bucks is also way overpriced for what you get. Sauce is too thin almost like water. The food is average. We also got BBQ chicken kebab sandwich and Chicken Gyros sandwich. Mozzarella sticks were average. Feta and Mediterranean salad were good portion. I would not go back. They have delivery service as well via eatstreet.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed October 22, 2017

I've been craving a lamb kabob for months and was pleasantly surprised to find a delicious one in a cozy location on Easton Avenue in New Brunswick. no wonder this Lebanese-based restaurant has been around for 30 years. A sunny courtyard was where we enjoyed our kabob which was full of solid, non-fatty, lamb chunks with salad and that delightful white sauce that i can't spell! there is also a bar which added to the atmosphere and the soulful sounds of Lebanese singer Elissa enhanced our experience.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed June 25, 2017

Didn't dig this place much. The pita bread was very stale. The salad was heavy with what seemed like jarred vinaigrette- unripe tomatoes and iceberg lettuce- kind of like what you would get in a diner. The Shawarma and Hummus were both OK, but I'm assuming you can do better right around here.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed December 7, 2016

Evelyn's is one of the few MidEast restaurants that still make meat-filled Grape Leaves. Most only have vegan variants, but authentic stuffed Grape Leaves have meat! (They also have vegan ones [yuck]).

The Shawarma was awesome, and homemade. Their babaganoush is also authentically smoky (it's supposed to be grilled eggplant, which gives it a nice smoky flavor), which also makes them somewhat unique. So many Mideast restaurants don't make it properly.

I highly suggest a visit to Evelyn's - they've been there for many years (I remember going there when I went to Rutger's in the 1980's!), so you know that if they've made it this long, they must be good!

Date of visit: November 2016