“Super Stay, Great Experience!”

Best Western Plus Newark Airport West
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I was unfortunately stuck in Newark to watch the Super Bowl this year. However, I couldn't have been in a better place to watch the game! This hotel was very clean and comfortable, and I got the best sleep in awhile. The hotel restaurant/bar had some good specials for the game, and the prices were very reasonable. Breakfast was very good, with more offered than expected. Shuttle service was great, very quick to and from the airport, as well as Newark Penn Station. I took the shuttle to the train station one night, and found it very convenient to get me to NYC. I didn't notice any noise from the aiport, considering how close it actually is. There are not a lot of restaurant options in the area, so it was very nice having the on-site restaurant in the evenings. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to this area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank AZ_Hotelier

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed because it was near the airport, offered a free shuttle service and wasn't cheap. This was a lesson in 'you get what you pay for'.

First the positive. The room was huge. The beds were massive. The bathroom was clean and there was a jacuzzi bath in the room. The airport shuttle dropped us off in good time.

The downside: The Jacuzzi jets only worked from one jet. The area around the hotel was horrendous. Without a car, it's not somewhere you'd want to walk at night. There's nothing around anyway. The food is...HORRIBLE. The room service isn't a service. You call downstairs and they call you back when you're to pick it up. Outside the window is a train station. This is a fact you won't be able to forget because the trains hoot every time they go past.

They asked me to complete a questionnaire and when I reported the above, the manager apologised and asked for a chance to correct it. Think I'll pass but I appreciated the sentiment.

7  Thank foxiileigh
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel because they had one of the best park & fly rates near the Newark Airport. The room was very good....but...the walls of this hotel were either paper thin or the people next to my room were very loud. I could hear everything they said until about midnight and then I heard them again around 4:00 AM. Not great to only get four hours sleep before you 8:00 AM flight. I thought of calling down to the desk to have someone come up and tell them to turn down the volume but I couldn't be sure when I ducked my head out in the hall whether the sound was coming from the room next to me or the room across the hall. It says something bad for our civiilization when people can't be civilized in a hotel setting. They just talk at their normal decibel level and have no consideration at others.

Getting back to the hotel via the shuttle once my plane arrived took much longer than the standard 15 minutes that they tell everyone. It was more like a half hour...or perhaps more. I guess the big question is: would I stay here again if I had to do a park and fly. Based upon my review and the other ones I am looking at...probably not

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank James C
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Okay. There a reason there are terrible reviews for this hotel and it's too bad because the property is nice, the rooms decent size and breakfast good. Location is terrible next to some industrial trucking company. It cost $20.00 by cab instead of $10 to get to Newark penn station. We stayed there 4 nights. The heater made loud noise every time it came on. Toilet ran every time u flush and I asked front desk to come repair it and t was never repaired. I had to open top of toilet every time someone flushed to put the flap down. Maids don't give new coffee, creamer glasses. I asked for blanket first night never got it till the 4th night. The final blow was when I checked out the front desk clerk was clueless and tried to charge me for three nights when i had prepaid. I gave clerk the proof of payment and she still did not get it. I got upset when the clerk told me to calm down. I spent 30 minutes on bestwestern customer service to get resolved. Never got apology from mgr mr Patel. I gave her my paperwork showing her I prepaid and she still told me that I needed to pay again for three nights. I was so upset when i left the place because they tried to double charge me i just took a cab instead of the free one. Long story short the worst hotel experience I have ever had!!!!!! Stay away!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3  Thank Annette M
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Was very unimpressed with this hotel as the Airport shuttle that is advertised as coming every 15 minutes took over an hour. Called hotel several times and was told that the shuttle should be there now. Upon arriving at the hotel the desk service was lacking. They could not have cared less that their shuttle was not running properly. Overall unimpressed with customer service. Very small room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This evening was definitely memorable! Once the monorail dropped us off at P4 we waited over 1 hour for the shuttle to this hotel. Numerous calls and lies later we threatened to get a taxi and the front desk clerk would be paying for it! No respect or consideration was shown to us at all. As I waited in the lobby of the hotel at 1:15 am for delivery of pizza the same conversation was spoken to the next poor traveller waiting for the shuttle bus. The shuttle bus driver remained in the hotel for 1 hour. Left the hotel by taxi at 6:30am to make our connection to home. Was told there was no room on the shuttle bus for 6:30 or 7am. Didn't trust the front desk clerk anyway after what happened! Room was suitable for 4 tired travellers.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel!
2  Thank C S
Reviewed 2 January 2012

If you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to staying in NYC check this hotel out. A lot of great benefits. Because the rooms were so inexpensive we were able to add a day to our trip.

When I decided to look for a low cost alternative so I could have more money for my trip, this hotel really stood out. First of all a free shuttle picks you up from P4 at Newark NJ (EWR) airport and takes you to the hotel. And a very nice vehicle it is. If you get in early and want to enjoy the city, they have a secure holding room to hold your luggage until you can get checked it. We found that a huge plus and a major reason for chosing this hotel. They also offer a free shuttle at select hours, several times a day to the Newark NJ Penn Station (train). It's only a $5 ticket which will take you to the Newark NY Penn Station at Madison Square Garden-one way. Only $10 for a round trip ticket along vs a taxi plus the value of the price you pay is a great reason to choose this hotel over paying the pricey hotels and getting an expensive taxi in NYC. While the shuttles are free, tips to the driver is greatly appreciated.

When we were picked up at the airport the driver was extremely nice and gave us a lot of great info about the shuttle times and services. The hotel was only a sort drive away, maybe 10 minutes. When we pulled into the area where the hotel was located I started to think I had made a bad choice but once I got inside, I was quickly put at ease. The staff welcomed us, we had arrived about 8am and told them we wanted to go into the city. They showed us the luggage holding area and tagged our luggage. They had our reservations but obviously it was too early to check in. They invited us to enjoy the free breakfast and they would let us know when the shuttle to the next shuttle to the train station would be ready. The lobby had modern tasteful decorations. The dining/breakfast/restaurant was a little dark but offered plenty of food both hot and cold.

The hotel is located on a dead end street in the middle of a warehouse district. There is no scenary whatsoever. Actually the area surrounding the hotel looks like a dump as well as most of the city. There was a one way driveway to only a few small (maybe 10) parking spaces. If you drive your own vehicle, be prepared to backup onto the street to get out. Our shuttle driver had done this several times before as he backed up in one quick motion with hardly looking back.

When we got back to the hotel late that night again using the free shuttle from the train station we found the room SUPER NICE! We got the last rooms at the end of the long narrow hallway. It opened into a deep set bedroom with two queen beds with big fluffy pillows and comfortable linens. It provided a great night's sleep.

Other that the location we did have a couple small problems which were quickly taken care of when reported to the front desk like a cracked coffee maker and mold on the outside of the bathtub/shower walls.

The big pluses of this hotel surely outweigh the small minuses. Next time I visit NYC I will definately save the money and stay here instead. Just make sure you know the train schedule back to NJ.

The AC went out when we arrived back to our room late on our 2nd day however due to the late hour and how comfortable the room was, we didn't report it.

Room Tip: Ice machines are on the 3rd and 5th floor. The one on 3rd floor is closest to the elevator. No roo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family