“Great Trip”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Monroe,Ga.
“Great Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I found the hotel to be convient for our need, to communte to and from NY, Car rental nearby. The room was decent, clean comfortable. the breakfast was adquate, people need to understand that continental, does not mean full spread. The shuttle service great, to the airport. resturants are nearby. The complaint that I have is the parking situation, the attendants were not helpful, they tell you to check to see if there is a park on the side, if not circle around, as if you want to circle a few times in the later evening when its cold.. Another minus the room was drafty, since the hotel has mixed the old with the new, the windows new and the doors, seem orginal, not a flush mount to the frame, to the point, the light from the hall can illuminate your room. However I would patronage again!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband has worked in hotels for 10 years now. We booked this for his birthday to spend just the night- thank god! We are 28 and 22 (obviously a young couple that doesn't mind noise, but this is rediculous)
Pros: Location
Cons: Service was terrible, bed was stiff, parking was close and free (as advertised) but it wasn't exclusively for the hotel, we checked in and they asked us if we wanted 1 queen bed (which we booked) or two twin beds- keep in mind, we're married. She told us that the room we with the queen bed was NEXT to the elevator. We took it and put our stuff down and went out for the night. We both polished off a bottle of wine each, came back to the hotel to sleep and the room was built around the elevator, so we heard the elevator going up and down literally ALL night. The walls are paper thin so we could hear the neighbors talking, walking, etc. There were dents and holes in the walls. When we got there, there was also no remote. We called down to the desk a few times and no one answered. I went to take a shower in the morning, it took about 7-10 minutes for the hot water to come on. The hairdryer quit on me twice. I had to wait for it to "reboot" so I could finish drying my hair. The sink faucet leaked so we had to use a couple of our towels because maintenance was "off duty". We went down to breakfast which was continental (as advertised) and there were two waitress's, one wa reading a newspaper in the corner and the other was getting a lap dance and making a roit because it was her birthday! Can you believe this?!?! As we checked out my husband told the front desk lady we were very dissapointed with everything and she just said "ok" and ignored our complaint.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Regreviewr
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

The hotel is really nice and the staff is very responsive, freandly and helpful. There is a free shuttle service runnig 24/7 from/to airport and Newark Central Station. One can also order the service by phone, e.g. to be picked up from the central station at night. The breakfast is a joke, but it is okay if one expects nothing more than a coffee and a toast.

For those willing to visit NY, it will take just 20 min from the Newark Central Station.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Olexandr B
Lincoln City, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We needed a hotel for the night prior to a flight out of the area. I guess I wanted something more than the typical airport hotel, but I didn't want to pay New York/Newark area prices for a room. The rates at Robert Treat were so low that I was very hesitate to stay there. I expected a run-down dump. But I decided to take a risk and try it anyway. I could not believe my luck, nor that this is a Best Western chain property. The Robert Treat is an historic hotel in downtown Newark, near most of the public venues people would want to visit if they were staying in the area. I wouldn't call it elegant, but it is delightful, somewhat grand, surprising qualities for such a reasonably priced property. The adjacent restaurant (Maize) is incredible with a bar/lounge that is truly elegant. The only negative was that you have to pay to use the business center computers to print your boarding passes, but hey, at these prices you can afford it.

Room Tip: The rooms are not large, but have been completely redone.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our room had no heat, and the wireless internet did not work.
When we spoke to the front desk, they were totally uninterested in our complaint,
We then wrote an email to the general manager, we did not even receive a reply.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank shifra f
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed for 1 week in May because I needed to be in this neighborhood. Now Newark is NOT a place that people generally want to be in, but sometimes business requires it. And as Newark goes, I think this is the best hotel taking into account both location, comfort and value. The only other hotel around here that is more upscale and supposedly better than this one is the Hilton at Newark Penn station. But not only is it twice the price (or more), it is located right in front of the station and therefore you don't have ANY room to breath, remember Newark Penn station is VERY seedy. Also, another big negative for me for the Hilton was the windows do not open. At the Robert Treat, you face green space on two sides. One side is a little park, the other side is the front of the Performing Arts venue. The windows open. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. It is quiet (and I am very noise sensitive). There is a restaurant that serves decent food and that is quite a find in downtown Newark. Oh, and it much much better than the restaurant at the Hilton (yes, I ate there too) You can walk to Penn station within 10mins and its perfectly safe to do so, or ask the shuttle to take you. Conclusion : If you have to stay in downtown Newark, there are no downsides to this hotel.

p.s. the only reason I rated "location" as 1 star is because Newark itself is a dump. But if you are going to stay in Newark, do stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank NellyAkGo
Nicholson, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

First and foremost, I thought that the staff was very friendly, helpful, and nice. It was clean and comfortable. As others have said, the breakfast was ok, but they could do a lot better. We were looking for a cost effective stay for a weekend in NYC and that is what we got. I found the PATH train experience a little cumbersome, so much so, that on our second day, we drove into the city and parked at the Port Authority so that we could go straight home. Because of previous reviews, we didn't bother with the hotel shuttle. We just grabbed a cab at Penn station. It was worth the $7.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice place, but you are on a budget.
You may also want to keep in mind that the 33rd street PATH station in Manhattan is at 32nd and 6th, it is not at 33rd.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple