All reviewsliving spacenext yearrooms are smalllarge sun deckheated poolfamily vacationmaintenance staffgreat oceanroom efficiencyextended familybeach vacationexcellent locationmy home away from homegreat vacationplace is cleanocean viewfirst floor
Reviewed September 11, 2017

Literally...I've been coming to the American Inn for as long as I can remember. This is the first time I've actually booked the room under my name, but I've probably been here 20 times over the course of the 33 years of my existence. Over that time I have watched this place steadily improve each season. It's good to know that they are improving each year and I would love to see more marketing around yearly improvements in any emails or brochures that may go out.

So about the check in process...well relatively it's easy. Pull in on the side and leave everything in the car. Have cash ready for the balance of your bill in order to get the cash discount. That mildly annoys me to carry that much cash on hand but I appreciate getting a lower cost. Trade off I suppose.

Plenty of parking around back after we checked in and moved the car. Never once felt like I wouldn't get a spot when I chose to leave and go out. It's super close and easy to get your luggage from the car to the room as well.

Speaking of getting luggage to your room, there are entrances on both ends and in the middle of the building which are easily accessible from the back. If you take the middle entrance you'll arrive at a large elevator which takes you to the 2nd and 3rd floors. Our room was on the first floor, pool side, but my pregnant wife took the elevator up to the 3rd floor where we enjoyed a large sun deck (or moon deck...it's beautiful for watching the moon rise over the ocean).

The room that we were in was a clean, simple studio style room which is PLENTY of room for 2 people. I noticed new tiled floors this year and surprisingly not slippery at all so I was pleased with that as we ran to our room from the pool one chilly night. The beds and sheets should probably be on the short list of updates for next year though. Don't hesitate to save a few and book this room unless it's really worth getting a better ocean view on the 3rd floor. To us it wasn't since we were only in the room to sleep. TIP: They start getting the pool area ready around 7am and aren't too quiet about it. If you're a light sleeper and wish to sleep longer you might want to get a larger room with a back bedroom or move up a floor or two. It wasn't a big deal for us, but was jarring the first morning.

The heated pool is large enough to accommodate many people and includes a kiddy pool. It's pretty clean, but you can tell it gets a lot of use during the day. TIP: most folks go to eat after 5. Plan a trip to the pool while they're dining and you'll have it all to yourself!

The location in general is super convenient to everything you'd want from the boardwalk to the beach and multiple local hidden gems like Russo's. You really can't go wrong with the quiet location here.

Overall we'll definitely be keeping the American Inn on our list for the next time that we visit Wildwood. Next time it will be with our new child and we can't wait to share the experiences with him/her! Thanks for helping to make our babymoon a pleasant one!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms offer a great view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
motel513, Front Office Manager at American Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

We would like to thank you for your comments and your continued patronage. Your suggestions have been noted and are very important to us as we like the input from our guests. Good luck with your new baby and we will see you next year.

Reviewed August 15, 2017

We've been going to the American for three years now. On the plus side, the rooms are very clean, the staff is pleasant , helpful, and accomodating. The location is great - children can run from the room to the beach as the front of the motel is paved and closed to traffic. Children can walk to the boardwalk. The rooms are pricey @ $240 a night in peak season. The rooms could use updating. The gold bedspreads are ancient. The carpets in the bedrooms could be redone also. The water in the pool has a grey look to it and I saw maintenance scrubbing the grey residue off of the gate spindles separating the baby pool from the rest of the pool. Why was it so dingy? I would also like to pay by credit card - carrying around $2000 in cash is a bit much.
That being said - if the family choses to return to the American next year, we will be there!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
motel513, Front Office Manager at American Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do a major upgrade every year and last year it was tile floors in the front room of all the suites! Bedding and carpets are being considered. Your issue with our pool I am not sure I understand. The pool will become a little cloudy in the afternoon due to heavy use and body oil and suntan lotion being the cause. The spindles are scrubbed for the same reason that they get a ring of residue at the water level. I have never seen our pool dingy. You may also use a credit card upon check in and there would be a 3% surcharge charged for this service. We hope that you will choose us for the 2018 summer season.

Reviewed August 5, 2017

Clean rooms, pool is always clean, friendly and helpful staff. This was our second year here and we look forward to returning next year. Motel is located right on the beach that is a plus and being a little off the boardwalk keeps it quieter then being in the heart of Wildwood.

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floors have view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
motel513, Front Office Manager at American Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review the American Inn. We enjoy our returning guest as they become part of the family!

Reviewed August 5, 2017

My family has used the American Inn for a number of years. In recent past, each visit has been met with less and less enthusiasm. But let me first start with the good - the location is ideal. Right on the beach, the views are lovely, even from the first floor. Just a block from the boardwalk means quick access to rides and all of the shops and games. And it's only a few blocks from Russo's. The pool is big enough to accommodate even a busy week at the American, and it is well-kept. The cleaning staff are very nice and are a pleasure to chat with. For the location, the price isn't terrible, but it certainly is more worth a visit during one of their "sale" periods. Now, the downside. Somewhat recently, the rooms switched from carpet to tile in all but the bedroom. There are a number of issues with this, starting with it being slippery - not just when someone is coming from the pool or beach (which, they'd presumably be dry enough by the time they enter the room), but also coming from the bathroom. My family has little ones in tow, and regardless of how many time we tell them not to run, they're going to try to run at least once. The flimsy towels and bath mats mean that you don't get quite as dry as you might in your own home, so your feet are inevitably wet when you leave the bathroom and step on the tile floor. The rooms aren't kept particularly clean: we make meals in the rooms for much of the vacation, and that leaves crumbs, which are extra-noticeable on the tile floor. There's no broom in the room, yet the cleaning staff only swept it MAYBE every other day. The other days, I guess we were just expected to live in our own filth - crumbs, sand, etc ... it's pretty gross when you're not wearing shoes. The bedspreads (and from the feel of it, the mattresses) have been there as long as I can remember. They don't even FEEL nice anymore. My particular room wasn't even super clean when we arrived - there was a left baby doll under one of the beds, and many of the drawers were lined with aluminum foil for some reason. Both of these indicated that the staff didn't bother checking to see what was in the room before leaving it. Also, there was food stuck to a number of the dishes in the cabinets, so I ended up having to scrub everything we used before we even used it. The A/C doesn't cool the rooms particularly well (the bedroom is freezing, while the front room needs the ceiling fan on to feel even remotely comfortable ... and yes, we had the bedroom door open and the vent running to pull the air from the bedroom to the front room), and the vent that pulls the air from the bedroom to the front room was so caked with dust that I felt unsafe even using it. Finally, the credit card policies in that hotel are archaic. The fact that they didn't even take credit cards until recently is pitiful, but even now they charge a "convenience" fee for running the cards. As a businessperson myself, I can tell you that credit fees are a cost of doing business, and that cost shouldn't need to be passed to the customer. The American used to be a great place to stay, and we looked very forward to it. In the past couple of years though, I've been more and more inclined to look elsewhere, and I think that this year was the year that forced the issue. Next year, we'll be staying at a different motel.

Room Tip: Rooms 300-305 are the quietest w/ the best view, then 200-205. The 1st floor (pool), & the sun deck (kids running around) are loud.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank lennonzgal
motel513, Front Office Manager at American Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2017

Hello;
We are sorry that your vacation experience was less than you had hoped for. The cleanliness factor is a surprise to us. Would you be so kind as to furnish us with the room # you were in as I would like to address your issues. Please send it to us at americaninn@americaninn.com so we can make the proper changes.

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Yhe motel is family oriented. The motel is very clean. The staff is pleasant and helpful. Near the boardwalk. It is right on the beach. They also have a pool if you don't like the beach. They have a large sun deck.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
motel513, Front Office Manager at American Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again in 2018.