“Superb French Cuisine in NJ”

Chez Madeleine Petit Paris
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Northvale
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Light French Cuisine
Reviewed June 15, 2016

We met a friend here for lunch last fall on her recommendation as a long-time patron. The food was very good, although the chef was away. This year when e returned to treat our friend to lunch on Flag Day, everything about our experience was superior! Chef Gaspard is a master! I had cream of mushroom soup, my wife a beautiful house salad, and our friend asparagus soup for appetizer course. Upon the recommendation of our waitress, who delineated the nature of the dish, we all had the fish quenelles (sole, scallops, and salmon, with lobster sauce), one of the most delicately delicious entrees I have ever tasted. For dessert our friend ordered creme brulet, while my wife and I had the Edelweiss cake (featuring an exquisite raspberry filling). What a feast! And as the prix fixe lunch, only $23.50 apiece for some of the best food imaginable in a setting which reflects sophistication and good taste. Chef Gaspard and his wife, our hostess, Madeleine, after whom the restaurant is named, both came by to inquire of our satisfaction, and we had a few words with them afterward upon being introduced by our friend—what charming, civilized people! Is there a better French restaurant in NJ? You may be sure we shall be returning again and again!

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Michael P

Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

Outstanding....a special restaurant for.a.special occasion. You will impress your wife or girl friend for sure.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed April 30, 2016

This was our first visit to Chez Madeleine Petit Paris and even though we called 2 hours in advance to make a reservation they were super accommodating and fit us right in for 8:30 PM reservation which we were thrilled about. Unfortunately, the restaurant was a bit difficult to find as you have to take many local roads to get there but once we did find it we were greeted by a nice lit by Eiffel tower which was super neat :) The person who checked us in was soooooo friendly and nice. I don't think any restaurant in Bergen County has a hostess that friendly. First impressions are really everything! My husband and I were truly pleased by that. The two waiters we had were super great too and the bread they brought us was warm which was a huge plus.

The ambience does need refurbishment though as it is old but I guess you could say that it is charming and quaint. I could see my parents loving it but the younger generation not so much. They did have nice french music playing which was really pleasant. oh and the nicest part was that the nice lady who sat us would sing happy birthday if it was your birthday in english and french!! How adorable :)) oh and I think it was her husband he would couldn't come out of the kitchen and join her and then sing with her!! I mean if that's not true love I don't know what is. super super cute. For that alone I think I would go back to the restaurant haha.

I ordered the veal medallion with these amazing mushrooms. They brought out on a separate plate green beans, potato gratin, and super deliciously prepared zucchini. My only complaint is that the sauce for the main dish was too salty. Otherwise everything else was so delicious.

Now for the best part!! We ordered their famous chocolate soufflé for dessert. It came with a lovely syrup that tasted so lovely! If you ever visit this restaurant you have to order this dessert!

Overall I would highly recommend this restaurant to my family and friends since the service was so great!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed April 25, 2016

This is one classy restaurant in the area.
Wonderful fresh, delious food, and the best service.
The owners, and their son Francois, make it their lives desire to please everyone.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed March 26, 2016

When you arrive you are greeted warmly by Madeleine, the owner, or Francois her son. You are seated quickly in what seems to be someones large living room or elegant dining room. Service is quick and efficient. The escargot is a wonderful way to begin your meal. There is Prix Fixe menu which offers many of the entrees from the a la carte menu. There is a wide choice of desserts but their soufflé shouldn't be missed. Ample parking is provided in a private lot adjacent to the restaurant. Pricing is what you would expect at a fine restaurant. Christmas is special when Madeleine and Gaspard, her husband, entertain you with Christmas Carols!

Date of visit: November 2015