“Great accommodation (but not near Boardwalk)”
Review of The Crossings

The Crossings
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Durham, NC
“Great accommodation (but not near Boardwalk)”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Crossings consists of 1- and 2-room efficiencies: ours included HDTV with free HBO channels, stove, microwave, kitchen sink, fridge, ironing board (no iron), and no hair dryer. Bathroom small but quite adequate, with its own sink. We had a king-size bed, eating table with 2 chairs, a comfortable 3-person couch, and tv tables. Each unit at The Crossings has a separtate owner, so no two are alike in decor. Very clean. The only real drawback was that, while it is only a few blocks to the beach, we had to drive to the Boardwalk.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jtoohil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Philadelphia Area
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Went to Ocean City last minute and almost everything was booked or had a 2 night min. I took a chance and booked with them. The room was clean and it had a small kitchen, eating area, bathroom, flat screen TV and 2 beds. The room was cheery and decorated appropriately. There was a pool, a game room, large parking area, and very close to the beach (not boardwalk). The staff was nice and you get free beach passes. I expected a dark, dingy room with a stale odor and I was wrong. I would stay here again, it is not the Marriott, obviously, but it provides you with a good experience at a condo/motor lodge place. You will have to drive about 7 min down the road to the Boardwalk, but I did not find this to be a problem due to the fact that during the day, you get a less crowded beach.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Buffalo66
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here several times as a quick overnight getaway with my kids when we got the sudden "itch" to have some shore time. I've lived close to NJ shore my whole life so I know what to expect as far as hotels/motels. Most are dated, pricey and 3 stars or less. You get what you get at the shore...its the beach and the atmosphere that you really go for. With that in mind, here are the good and the not so good...

Good:
Very nice staff
Easy to get to, right off of 34th St. Bridge
Convenient to grocery store, Wawa, CVS, playground, restaurants.
34th St. beach has a public bathroom
Rooms all have AC and efficiency kitchens
Pool is warm & clean
Pool towels provided
Parking for 1 car
Reasonable room rates
Elevator
Front desk will work with you if you are not happy with your room
Rooms are clean

Not so good...
Long walk to beach (3 lights, busy streets)
All of the rooms are privately owned so decor and setup varies with each unit
(you never know what your going to get)
Very small bathrooms in all units
There is no "view" whatsoever from any of the units
Outdoor shower a bit of a joke

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank PhiladelphiaBromley
PA
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We found The Crossings to be a nice place to stay. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. We all thought the rooms (efficiencies) were spacious and very clean. I am a fussy person when it comes to cleanliness. The bathroom is small, but the rest of the room had more than adequate space. We only stayed one night, so we didn't get to actually use any of the kitchen amenities. It's a nice touch, especially if you are planning a longer stay, have a family, and don't want to eat out every night. Some of the rooms have been updated and decorated nicely. We didn't get to use the pool because we like the beach instead, but it's a nice size. There is a Wawa right next door, a CVS and an Acme market.

The beach is just a few blocks away. The hotel also gives you beach tags. We had to leave a $20 deposit per person and you get that back upon leaving, as long as you don't lose the tag. :)

We thought the 10:00 a.m. check-out was a little early, but if you want to get some extra beach time in that day, they have a changing room, where you can shower and freshen up. They also let us leave our cars in the parking lot after we checked out, which was much appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank HappyMom_10
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My husband & I initially were looking to return to the Tropicana in Atlantic City. The prices quoted were not to our liking. Last year, we spent two days at the Tropicana on our honeymoon. And while we loved the suite, the expense after a wedding, was too much. Basically, we wanted more bang for our buck. We received all that we could have hoped for and more. A quaint town that feels like you're stepping back into a sweeter, peaceful time. The condo had all the amenities of home with excellent room service. The condo was advertized to come fully equipped yet I bought my own. THE CONDO WAS SO EQUIPPED; I never unpacked what I bought. Everything was within walking distance, a very short walking distance. Wa Wa right at the corner, CVS across the street and so too was the Acme market. Hoy's 5 & 10 was two blocks away. Bike rental shop a block away. A wonderful pizza place a short distance. The beach 3 blocks away, clean and certainly well kept. My husband Sean and I often speak of what our society has lost with improvements. Ocean City and specifically The Crossings helped remind us of a time gone by with all the amenities of today.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sassy_asset
westchester county, ny
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We just finished a 5 night stay and were very happy with this condo-tel. . I am a nut about clean rooms, beds and bathrooms when it comes to hotels, so of course as soon as we opened the door I RIPPED off the sheets looking for bedbugs, checked behind the headboard, etc. you get the picture - IT WAS CLEAN - our beds were on wheels and we had HARD WOOD FLOORS so of course i moved the beds to see if they clean underneath - AND IT WAS CLEAN - Then I checked the pillows - no stains or smells - So far so good - I also checked the bathroom for mold - AND IT WAS CLEAN. The front desk was the most friendly staff I met in a long time and the cleaning staff was very helpfull to get you whatever you needed ASAP. The pool was heated and goes from 3-6 feet, my kids were in it 3 out of 5 days. . Parking was plentifull there was in the shade and in the sun. The beach was a short walk away( 3 side blocks ), Wa-Wa is attached to the side of the hotel, CVS and Acme Supermarket are 7 steps away. you walk out the door of the hotel and turn right - and your there!! There is a park 1 short block away, there is also 3 ices-cream parlors, 1 game room, 2 italian restaurants, Hoys5 &10 store and Laura's Fudge Shop ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE - when I say walking distance it is no more than 3 short blocks. It is a great place to stay and the area was very quite - it is not within the hussle and bussle of the Downtown area -but a 5 min car ride and your on the boardwalk.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Fiz51
Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Yes this place is good value, but the rooms are hit and miss. My in-laws stayed in the room next door which seemed fine, but our room smelled like someone had just smoked a pack of twenty in there. Walk to the beach is not too far, takes a few minutes. Pool is small and warmish. Had room on back of building with view of electricity substation....not very inspiring. But for $120/night in August in Ocean City, I guess there's not too much complaining that can be done here. Nobody said this was going to be the Hilton. Its a 2 star establishment, do the math (5-2=3). Wireless internet was free and fast...nice touch.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family