New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Baltimore, MD
“Not bad, but poor internet in rooms is an issue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We chose this hotel for a quick weekend getaway primarily because it is right smack in the middle of the Princeton shopping and restaurant district, a couple blocks from campus. Although we ended up driving, it is also about a 15 minute walk from the train station, if you don't bring much luggage. Given that the excellent location of this hotel is likely to be a year-round draw, and that the hotel is an older place that has been around a long time, we weren't sure how good the accommodations and service would be compared to the chain hotels. We were pleasantly surprised in most respects.

The front desk and restaurant staff, although most of them looked very young (like students or recent grads?) were friendly and helpful. We ate a tasty hot breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which is charming and collegiate, with a working fireplace, initials carved into wooden tables, and a historic Norman Rockwell mural over the bar. We returned later for cocktails and found the bartenders to be a little slow, although to be fair the bar was very full and two bartenders probably weren't enough even if they'd been hustling.

Although the hotel shows some signs of age (slowish elevators, weak water pressure in room), our room appeared to have been recently renovated, particularly the tiling and fixtures in the bathroom. The room was conservatively decorated in an old-fashioned Americana style, with a big screen cable TV (channel selection OK, not great), coffeemaker, and lots of pillows on a comfortable big bed. The bed coverings were a little thin and not very warm, but there was an extra blanket in the closet. The room was on the dark side as there was only one small window; the large bathroom was light enough except for the very dark shower, where the light does not reach due to the dark shower curtain. There was an in-room safe but it was some old-fashioned kind requiring you to get a key from the desk and pay a 25 dollar deposit - no thanks. No minifridge, too bad given the large number of restaurants in the immediate area.

Lobby area was clean and had a couple of comfy chairs, and cookies and coffee were put out in the afternoon. However, because the lobby is very small, it really only has room for people checking in and out, and the hotel should move the large meetup groups (appeared to be going on a bus tour or something) to another room as a couple of times I had to push people aside just to get from the elevator to the exit door.

Parking is available in the Hulfish Garage a half block away for an extra 20 dollars a day. I did not mind paying the parking charge as this is a very congested area for parking and the garage is convenient.

However, I did mind that the hotel, which has Facebook and Twitter pages and advertises its business traveler amenities, not only charged an extra 10.95 per day for Internet but also did not even have wi-fi in the rooms. You have to connect using a cable to a box; the instructions said to connect through the base of the desk lamp, but the connection was broken on the lamp in my room (dangling cable). The instructions also said if you have trouble connecting and call the hotline for assistance, they charge you 1 dollar for the call! Fortunately, I was able to connect my computer directly to the box without help (bypassing the lamp) and after several tries, got the pay screen to come up, entered my CC info and then got a confirmation e-mail that I had paid the 10.95 for one day's access. Unfortunately, my computer still would not connect to the Internet - I kept getting the pay screen. I called the hotline and after some hemming and hawing by the person on the other end, I was told that I needed an access code and that I had to get one from the hotel front desk because the hotline couldnt give me one (some "help"). I then called the hotel front desk and the nice lady working there did give me an access code, so I was able to connect finally. This all happened at around 6 pm Friday.

At about 2:30 pm the next day, I tried to log in, figuring I had paid for 1 day = 24 hours of Internet access so it should be good till 6 pm Saturday. However, I found my access code was no longer working - it likely expired at the 11 am checkout time. At this point I just threw up my hands and relied on my smartphone for the rest of the trip as we were leaving the next day. I could deal with lack of internet for a weekend getaway where we spent most of our time out eating, shopping, and going to an event, but it would have been a nightmare if I'd been there during the weekend and needed to be logging into my corporate network to do work (and no, using a business center is not an option because my own computer is specially configured to work with my corporate network - plus I want to work from my own room that I pay for). Therefore, I don't think I'd want to stay here during the week or for more than a 2-night stay. The extra charge and lack of wi-fi in your room are bad enough without all the problems simply getting Internet to work. Don't see why the Nassau Inn at approximately 250 a night + extra charge can't offer an in-room amenity that many of us need daily, and that Red Roof Inn offers at 70 a night with no extra charge.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Bunnydots, Thank you for sharing your Nassau Inn experience with us. Thank you for expressing such positive sentiments in regards to your overall impression of the Inn and our staff, even though there were aspects that did not meet your expectations or our standard of service. We apologize that you had difficulty with internet connection in your room and that the fix was not a seamless one. I can assure you however that there is no charge for the phone call to the internet hotline and if for some reason there is one on your bill, please contact me and it will most certainly be removed at once. I’d like to also take this opportunity to shed light on some misconceptions that you left our Inn with, while it is true that there is no mini-fridge supplied in our standard rooms, one can be requested through the Front Desk at any point during your stay and delivered to your room. The in-room safe does not require a deposit of any kind, we do apply a charge if the key is not returned upon check out, yet even if you leave the hotel with it by mistake the charge is removed once the key is returned to us at a later date. We do pride ourselves on 100% guest satisfaction and we apologize that it was not met in all aspects of your stay. Please do consider another stay with the Nassau Inn the next time you are in the Princeton area and prior to, please call me for your arrangements so we can see to it that all goes seamlessly during your time with us. Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas – Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Leesburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

You really can't come to Princeton and NOT stay here! We've been there several times now, and it doesn't disappoint! This is the only hotel I've been to where you feel like you're part of a town because you're staying there, even before you walk outside! Being originally from New Jersey, we go back occassionally and Princeton is a great place to stay for access to all of Jersey, and New York City and Philadelphia...and if you're going to stay in Princeton, this is the place to be!
The front staff has always been great to us - it's nice to go to a hotel where you recognize the same faces each time you go...and they generally have a ready smile and are willing to talk about the town and what's going on. I'm also excited about what they're doing with their facilities...to be honest, some of the old rooms felt very old...you can only clean up "old" to a certain point and it still feels beat up. But on our last trip we found out they have shut down the area with the old rooms to upgrade them - and we stayed in the rooms they most recently upgraded, and they were great! Also, they have a new area outside the restaurant where you can sit and eat - apparently they leave it open during the winter for mild days since they have heaters and fire pits out there - a perfect place to sit while Princeton moves around you!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Spencer G
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Spencer G., Thank you so much for all of your kind words. We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review and we could not be happier that you hold our Inn in such regard. Our staff has been together quite some time and the feeling of seeing the many of the same friendly faces in our lobby is mutual. We are always thrilled to share the exciting changes to our guest rooms with our guests and we are so happy that you made mention of the “old” rooms and the tremendous improvements being made to them, including the less visual changes such as plumbing and HVAC. The rooms that are currently available to our guests have been rejuvenated and we have been getting very positive feedback from our guests. It is great to be reassured that the changes to the Nassau Inn are so well received among our guests and the word is getting around! We look forward to you and your family’s return! Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

There is one good reason to stay in the hotel: location, location, location. It is perfectly situated in the heart of Palmer Square and within walking distance of several shops and restaurants.
I have been in the hotel several times (all for business). My review may be a mix of several of these visits.
Reception. In all honesty, it is not consistent: I have been there that I was helped as one can expect from a decent hotel but I also met reception staff that seemed quite reluctant to help me. One time when they could not find the reservation in my name, the message I got was basically: we have no booking, please leave (in other words ofcourse), my suggestion to look under a company name was met with great reluctance. They did not find any. I suggested to check my secretaries name and that caused a deep sigh of the desk clerck who should not be in the Hotel business. Indeed it was under my secretaries name, a practice that is not uncommon with business travellers. Lobby is nice and light though (in contrast to some other area's of the hotel)

Rooms
There are different size rooms and having stayed there with collegues I was surprised to find that some had a sizeable room and others not more than a somewhat extended broom closet, all for the same price, Make sure you know what you get. The rooms itself are ok, albeit a bit dated, but one complaint I have is the lack of ligthing in the rooms, It is just at a very low level.

Downstairs the room has some tables for drinks and food and it has a bar + an annex for breakfast.
I found the downstairs with the exception of the breakfast area quite dark and a bit grimy. Not that I mind, it gives a certain atmosphere. According to local legend, Brooke Shields (who went to nearby Princeton University) has carved her name in one of the tables (and is roumoured to subsequently have lost her virginity in one of the hotelrooms).
Food in that sitting area is quite good, not exceptional, but good.

Breakfast area
Nice view to the outside, good breakfast but one time upon paying when leaving, I got into an argument with the cashier as she insisted I'd pay for the other people that had been at my table and that had left. I did not know these people and even if I had known them, I am not responsible for their bill.
Actually it got quite ugly eventhough I just told her it was not my responsibility. When I wanted to leave for a moment I thought she would get physical.
Other times the staff has been nothing but friendliness there, although..... I know rooms need to be cleaned daily but is it necessary to just leave vacumers spread out all over the corridor even when you see guests with suitcases approaching? A sharp contrast with e.g. the imperial hotel in Tokyo where upon spotting a guest housekeeping switches off the machines, pulls them to the side, stand in line and bow)

Area
As said, a nice area especially when the cherry trees are in Bloom. There are some 'quaint' shops around Palmer square and Princeton being a student town there are also a hoist of restaurants and some bars around (Try the 'Arms and Barrister') that is close by.

If you come by car, there are parking garages in closeby Hulfish street and Chambers street. The one in Hulfish has a deal with the hotel.

Eating
Though the food in the Hotel is OK, you are better of going to e.g. The Alchemist and Barrister in a street between Palmer square and (I think) Witherspoon. A bit more upscale is La Mezzaluna (very good) in Witherspoon or try Japanese (Ichibana) in a street behind the hotel.

Summary
Definitely a place to consider when u are in Princeton, especially if you are on foot. It is nice to have a business dinner and afterwards just to walk to the hotel rather than have to go in a car.
In my experience, the friendliness of staff is OK, but they obviously have had some rotten apples there that I hope were just temporary staff.
All in all, if you are on foot: agreat place to stay, if you have a car available, there are other options (mainly around Route 1)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cebutraveller110
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear cebutraveller110, Thank you for the comprehensive review of our hotel within your several experiences with us. We appreciate your feelings about our location, it is truly an exceptional place to stay with ease of access to all things Princeton – not the least of which includes, a 2 min walk to the University! Your comments in regards to our room accommodations are also much appreciated as it gives us the opportunity to share with you that our renovations address the rooms that you felt were no bigger than a broom closet. As you pointed out, lighting was also an issue in many of these colonial style rooms, this too will no longer be an issue as the new rooms will have and a superior electrical component provided in each room allowing for more lighting and higher wattage. We hope that if your travel plans in the future include another visit to the Princeton area that you will once again choose to stay with us at the Nassau Inn and share in all the wonderful changes that are taking place! Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I stayed at The Nassau Inn over the Christmas holiday. What a wonderful experience! First of all the hotel is surrounded outside by lovely shoppes and restaurants and a beautiful Christmas Tree filled with colorful lights. We so enjoyed this because it filled us with the Christmas spirit. Inside we found a warm and cozy atmosphere; fire places, red leather chairs, beautiful decorations, and a staff that all made our stay comfortable. I can't speak for all the rooms but our suite (a family of 5) had wonderful fluffy beds and plenty of space. I particularily liked the large windows that looked down over the streets with people shopping and gathering. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I hope to visit again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tlcstlcs
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear tlcstlcs, We are thrilled that you and your family so thoroughly enjoyed your time with us through the holidays! We are truly grateful that you chose to share your opinion with us. We believe The Nassau Inn is full of spirit all year round – but we agree that few things compare with the Christmas season in Palmer Square and the Nassau Inn! The satisfaction you described when speaking about the comfort of your room is greatly appreciated feedback as it was recently rejuvenated and showcases what we now offer to our guests when booking a suite. Our standard rooms share the same look and feel - they too have been receiving a very encouraging response from many of our guests. It is so great for all of us here at the Nassau Inn to share in this excitement with our cherished guests! Thank you for being a part of it and we look forward to you and your family’s return! Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

The Nassau Inn is perfectly located on Palmer Square in downtown Princeton. The oldest part of the building faces the square and adds to the charm of the setting. But much of the hotel is sadly dated and needs a serious makeover; the owners seem to feel that as pretty much the only game in downtown Princeton and with presumably good occupancy rates they can afford to under invest. But seriously: upgrade these rooms and come up with a fresh language! The restaurant is great for breakfast, and fine the rest of the time. Don't miss the great Yankee Doodle Dandy mural in the bar!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the more recently redecorated rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TigerJCS
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear TigerJCS,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your Nassau Inn experience. We understand your sentiment and I am happy to inform you that this is no longer a concern for you. I am not sure when you stayed with us, but the “dated and needing a makeover” section of the Inn is currently closed down and in the midst of a full scale rejuvenation project that will feature all new rooms along with all new furniture, bedding and amenities. We are sorry that you ever had the impression that would “under invest” in our cherished Nassau Inn, and I hope that this forever puts to rest any such thought. If your travel plans in the future include another visit to the Princeton area, we will look forward to your return to the Inn to share in the exciting changes that have already begun! Yours in Hospitality, Nick Ballas
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed here two nights while doing business at the University. The hotel is perfectly situated in the downtown area of Princeton. You are right next to the University and there are many shops and restaurants around. I didn't have a car and that was not a problem.

My room was, from what I've read in the reviews, one of the remodeled ones on the 4th floor. It was a very good size, with a comfortable king bed. There was one chair with ottoman (which I didn't use because I wasn't in the room very much), flat-screen TV, and a bathroom in good condition. I would have liked more shelf space in the bathroom. All fixtures worked properly. The heater worked well, although it was a bit noisy.

Service was fine. Check-in and check-out were efficient, and the front desk kindly arranged a taxi for me when I needed one.

The fitness room (which they bill as a "cardio room" has a treadmill, 2 ellipticals, and a stationary bike. Plus a mat or two and exercise ball. The bike was not working well - seemed like it needed lubrication. The treadmill was in good shape and did the job.

There is complementary coffee available in the lobby all day. The common areas are beautiful, as is the bar. I had room service breakfast which was delivery speedily and was quite good.

I had dinner in the restaurant across the street, Teresa Cafe (or something like that) and it was an excellent meal. I also grabbed ice cream at The Bent Spoon, across the square. Great ice cream!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank JoKnits
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Dear JoKnits, Thank you for taking the time to share your kind opinion of your Nassau Inn experience. We are thrilled to read that you were pleased with the rejuvenated wing of the hotel and that the bed, size of the room, bathroom and new television met to your satisfaction. We are grateful that you mentioned the ease of your check in and check out process, our Front Desk staff takes great pride in providing exceptional guest service and making this a seamless experience. Should your future travel plans include another visit to the Princeton area we hope that you will once again choose to stay with us at the Nassau Inn. Yours in hospitality, Nick Ballas
Usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Pros - We stayed in one of the renovated rooms and found it to be clean and comfortable. The room was pretty quiet also. The location in downtown Princeton was terrific.

Cons - The front desk staff was the worst I've ever encountered (and I worked in the travel industry for 20 years!). They just didn't seem to care at all about their guests. It was very strange. The carpet in the hall was filthy and needs to be changed. The lobby decor seems old and tired. Parking is $20 a day.

Room Tip: Get one that has been renovated
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Faith J
Dear Faith J, We are happy that you were pleased with our renovated rooms as well as the location of the Nassau Inn. We are in the process of rejuvenation to the Inn and the project includes replacement of the carpets in the hallways as well as the guest rooms and common areas as well, I can assure you however that while they may be slightly worn they are cleaned and shampooed regularly. Please contact me at your earliest convenience in regards to your general comments regarding our Front Desk staff. We would like to better understand what the interaction was that left you with this impression as this contradicts all of our hospitality training and practices. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you, Nick Ballas